Windows 10: Will moving libraries to another drive cause software issues?

Discus and support Will moving libraries to another drive cause software issues? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows contains an option to move the locations of libraries (Documents, Music, Videos, Downloads, etc) to another drive or partition. However, some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hbenthow, Jan 17, 2017.

1. hbenthow Win User

Will moving libraries to another drive cause software issues?

Windows contains an option to move the locations of libraries (Documents, Music, Videos, Downloads, etc) to another drive or partition. However, some of the folders already have files put there automatically by programs I have installed. For example, here is a picture of my "Documents" folder:

Will moving libraries to another drive cause software issues? [​IMG]

As you can see, several programs have stored some of their folders there. If I move the folder from drive C to drive F (using the steps outlined in this article, will I encounter any issues with these programs in the future?

:)

hbenthow, Jan 17, 2017

2. Moving Media Library to another drive

Can I move my Media Library from drive C: to another drive in Windows 10?

YoungishArc4004, Jan 17, 2017
  3. Moving Media Library to another drive

You sure can, it's actually just as easy as drag-and-drop it to the new location.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jan 17, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello hbenthow, *Smile

If the folders are all in your "%UserProfile%\Documents" folder, then you could move your Documents folder instead of trying to move the Documents library and risk breaking the library. This way it'll still be included in the library as well.

Brink, Jan 17, 2017
  5. hbenthow Win User
    Actually, I was referring to the method described in that thread you linked to (as well as the article I linked to in the OP). Maybe moving the libraries was the wrong term to use. I'm trying to move the folders, just as demonstrated in that thread (through the option in Properties).

Will this cause issues with the programs that have already stored files and/or folders in my folders?

hbenthow, Jan 17, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It hasn't created any issues with the programs that store folders in them for me so far.

If you do have an issue with a program, check to see if that program may have a setting to specify where its folder is located at to be able to change it the new location.

Brink, Jan 17, 2017
  7. hbenthow Win User
    Thank you for the information.

hbenthow, Jan 18, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Will moving libraries to another drive cause software issues? - Similar Threads - moving libraries another

2. Move users to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move users to another drive: With DaveM121's help I was able to fix a User Shell Folder problem by editing the registry entry. But that was one problem out of the bigger problem. There are a lot of %USERPROFILE% entries in the same list. What is the value of user profile? It must be at least partially...
  3. Move users to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move users to another drive: With DaveM121's help I was able to fix a User Shell Folder problem by editing the registry entry. But that was one problem out of the bigger problem. There are a lot of %USERPROFILE% entries in the same list. What is the value of user profile? It must be at least partially...
  4. Move users to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moving app to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving app to another drive: I want to move an app from my C drive to my external E drive. I tried uninstalling the app from the C drive and when I reinstall it, it doesn't give me an option where to install it so it automatically installs back to my C drive....
  6. Moving app to another drive

Moving app to another drive: I want to move an app from my C drive to my external E drive. I tried uninstalling the app from the C drive and when I reinstall it, it doesn't give me an option where to install it so it automatically installs back to my C drive....
  7. Move libraries to another drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move libraries to another drive.: I'd like to see if I can move the libraries off the C drive to my D drive.... Music, pics, vids, etc. I don't want just folders, I still want the libraries, but not on the C drive as I think it's stupid to take up the valuable space there. submitted by /u/8bitfoxxm2...
  8. Moved Desktop to Another Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moved Desktop to Another Drive: I was trying to free up space on my 250GB 'C' drive and stupidly moved my Desktop folder from C-->User-->(my computer name) to my F drive (a second internal hard drive) by clicking on Properties and using the 'Location' option. But I started encountering problems - no...
  9. Is there any way to move all installed softwares to another Drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to move all installed softwares to another Drive?: Hi, I've windows 10 installed on my C drive SSD, also all my softwares by default gets installed on C drive. But due to small SSD i want to move all of installed softwares to my D drive which is 1.5 TB HDD. Is there any way to move software installations without...
  10. Move OneDrive to another drive?

Move OneDrive to another drive?: I have bought a pc with a 64GB eMMC drive but have OneDrive set up to keep files (mostly photos) locally as well as on the Cloud, which uses a lot of disk space. Can I just move the OneDrive folder to an installed 128GB SD card?...