Windows 10: Will my Windows 10 SSD boot after formatting Windows 7 SSD ?

Discus and support Will my Windows 10 SSD boot after formatting Windows 7 SSD ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have 2 SSDs and a few mechanical HDDs. I was dual booting (with Win 7 and 10) by changing the bios boot order for a while but have now decided to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BlizzardUK, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Will my Windows 10 SSD boot after formatting Windows 7 SSD ?

I have 2 SSDs and a few mechanical HDDs. I was dual booting (with Win 7 and 10) by changing the bios boot order for a while but have now decided to stick with Windows 10. By default Windows 10 loads. However I used to have Windows 7 as my boot drive. I want to now format the older SSD that Windows 7 is on and use it as a backup drive. Before I format my old Windows 7 drive I want to check that 10 will load okay. In the past years I have removed drives and found my OS no longer boots, so I don't want to make that mistake this time. I need to make sure my boot is coming from the 10 drive. So I have done a screen grab for you to see. Do I need to make the actual 10 partition active, or is just having the 500mb reserved partition as active ok ? The windows 10 drive is listed as such (C) and the Windows 7 drive is titled "Ready to Format" (H).

Thanks all. Screen grab below.

Will my Windows 10 SSD boot after formatting Windows 7 SSD ? [​IMG]

:)

BlizzardUK, Dec 23, 2015

2. Window 10 Home OEM , HDD to SSD transfer(Move)

I just want to move my Window 10 home OEM from my HDD to SSD. so i clone my window to SSD. change 1st boot priority to SSD. but when i try to start my Laptop its boot from HDD not from SSD. so without boot from SSD i can't format HDD system partition and
    can't use SSD as system

ravi kalathiya, Dec 23, 2015
  3. Gibbo_GT Win User
    Windows 10 freezes when installing updates, when left idle and during boot up

I finally managed to fix the boot and freezing problem I was having with Windows 10. I formatted the SSD and installed Windows 7. I can now use my pc again

Gibbo_GT, Dec 23, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Will my Windows 10 SSD boot after formatting Windows 7 SSD ?

I'd just remove the Win7 drive, open the BIOS to assure it's not there then boot the computer. If all is well I'd put that drive back in, boot to Win10, go to Computer Management, Disk Management section and delete the partition on the Win7 drive then create a new one followed by formatting.

The issue I see with dual-booting is both drives are coded by the install but your situation suggests otherwise, both drives operate independently.

Berton, Dec 23, 2015
Thema:

Will my Windows 10 SSD boot after formatting Windows 7 SSD ?

1. Will my Windows 10 SSD boot after formatting Windows 7 SSD ? - Similar Threads - SSD boot formatting

2. Formating a ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formating a ssd: Hello so i just installed a new ssd and would like to format it but i dont really understand it. I would like to have games and some apps on it and later put windows on it, i would use my old hdd for like photos and stuff i dont care about that much...
  3. Formating a ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formating a ssd: Hello so i just installed a new ssd and would like to format it but i dont really understand it. I would like to have games and some apps on it and later put windows on it, i would use my old hdd for like photos and stuff i dont care about that much...
  4. Formating a ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD: Hi there!I succesfully installed Windows on my mSATA SSD UEFI. After updating and installing drivers, the only thing left to do was formatting the 1tb HDD, which I did using a format tool. I had completely deleted the HDD using the Windows partition manager just before...
  6. Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD: Hi there!I succesfully installed Windows on my mSATA SSD UEFI. After updating and installing drivers, the only thing left to do was formatting the 1tb HDD, which I did using a format tool. I had completely deleted the HDD using the Windows partition manager just before...
  7. Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Formatting SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Formatting SSD: Hi there, when installing Windows 10 on a new SSD that has not been formatted is there a function during the installment process that allows the new SSD to formatted before installment? Thank you, Robert....
  9. SSD Formatting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD Formatting: When attempting to format my new SSD, Disk Management will only let me convert to MBR or a Dynamic Disk, but not show me the option to format it. It doesn't have a directory name yet, and I cannot install files onto it. How can I make that happen?...
  10. Format old SSD with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Format old SSD with Windows 10: Hi All.... I recently upgraded to a PCI SSD and want to format the SSD with the old installation files on it and use it for storage. What would be the proper way to go about this with both versions on those drives being Windows 10, and the new PCI SSD Windows 10 Creators...