Windows 10: Will not delete file

Discus and support Will not delete file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I go into Explorer to delete a file and it tells "Action can't be completed because the file is open in Windows Explorer" But don't you have to open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by James1093, Oct 10, 2016.

1. James1093 Win User

Will not delete file

I go into Explorer to delete a file and it tells "Action can't be completed because the file is open in Windows Explorer"

But don't you have to open it in Explorer in order to select it to delete it ?

:)

James1093, Oct 10, 2016
  2. HairyFool Win User

User File will not delete

Right click Start and select Computer Management. Under System Tools you should find Local Users and Groups with 2 folders. Double click Users and paste the result on here.

The Settings, Accounts tool is a management screen but the user as a security unit has to be listed here so the question is how many of you are there?

HairyFool, Oct 10, 2016
  3. User File will not delete

I do not see 3 accounts. Are you referring to your Thumbnail pics which are not various accounts but various thumbnails you've chosen in the past for your own account which has its own page there?

As to the test account, it may be listed under Family and Other People for you to highlight and Delete there. This is how accounts are deleted, never in File Explorer which is only a reflection of what is managed in Account settings.

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know what you find.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 10, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Will not delete file

Each file is marked as 'open' when a process accesses it. It should be closed when the process completes. Sometimes a process can end abruptly and not get a chance to clear the flag. The file is left as 'open' when nothing is actually using it. The easiest way to close all such files is to restart the PC. Do that then try deleting it again.

5. James1093 Win User
    Understood. Co-incidently I had a similar thing again just now when a file did not finish copying. Now if I copy something else the first one stays in the copy window stuck on "Canceling". I guess there's no other way to get rid of it. No end task or similar?

James1093, Oct 10, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    There's always Task Manager. That can end almost any process (though some you should leave well alone *Smile ). In this case it's quite safe to restart Windows Explorer. If you have File Explorer open it will be listed as 'Windows Explorer' on the Processes tab under Apps (if you don't have the tabs, click 'more details'). Select Windows Explorer and click the Restart button in the bottom right.

Edit: though if you're getting problems like this it may be that a restart is overdue. If you have 'fast shutdown' turned on (it is by default) then just shutting down may not reset everything.

7. James1093 Win User
    Thank you Bree. All noted.

James1093, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Will not delete file

1. Will not delete file - Similar Threads - delete file

2. Need to Recover Deleted File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to Recover Deleted File: I was in the OneDrive tab of file explorer Windows 10 Pro and deleted a file by accident. The file was also deleted from my pc. The file is not showing up in my pc's recycle bin nor OneDrive's recycle bin. Is there a way I can recover it. I do not have a back up drive or...
  3. Recycle Bin - deleted File pops up when a new user logs into a Windows 10 system...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recycle Bin - deleted File pops up when a new user logs into a Windows 10 system...: Was wondering anyone knew how to get rid of this pop-up and or narrow down how to stop this from happening?Was unable to get image to post here but reads:----------------------------------------------------------------Delete File Pop-up WindowAre you sure you want to move...
  4. Need to Recover Deleted File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to Recover Deleted File: I was in the OneDrive tab of file explorer Windows 10 Pro and deleted a file by accident. The file was also deleted from my pc. The file is not showing up in my pc's recycle bin nor OneDrive's recycle bin. Is there a way I can recover it. I do not have a back up drive or...
  5. Recycle Bin - deleted File pops up when a new user logs into a Windows 10 system...

Recycle Bin - deleted File pops up when a new user logs into a Windows 10 system...: Was wondering anyone knew how to get rid of this pop-up and or narrow down how to stop this from happening?Was unable to get image to post here but reads:----------------------------------------------------------------Delete File Pop-up WindowAre you sure you want to move...
  6. Need to Recover Deleted File

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Recycle Bin - deleted File pops up when a new user logs into a Windows 10 system...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. For the last two months I am trying to find a away to delete the windows update files...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    For the last two months I am trying to find a away to delete the windows update files...: For the last two months I am trying to find a away to delete the windows update files 21.8GB attached image.Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/for-the-last-two-months-i-am-trying-to-find-a-away/e486c836-adb0-4495-82b2-093499cfad9f
  9. For the last two months I am trying to find a away to delete the windows update files...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    For the last two months I am trying to find a away to delete the windows update files...: For the last two months I am trying to find a away to delete the windows update files 21.8GB attached image.Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/for-the-last-two-months-i-am-trying-to-find-a-away/e486c836-adb0-4495-82b2-093499cfad9f
  10. For the last two months I am trying to find a away to delete the windows update files...