Windows 10: Will programs uninstall properly with Win10?

Discus and support Will programs uninstall properly with Win10? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been wondering, why when a program is uninstalled does it not uninstall every last bit of it? Will Windows 10 do a better job, or is it not as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Autobahn, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Autobahn Win User

Will programs uninstall properly with Win10?

I've been wondering, why when a program is uninstalled does it not uninstall every last bit of it?

Will Windows 10 do a better job, or is it not as simple as that?

:)

Autobahn, Jun 19, 2015

2. Will installing Windows 10 uninstall all programs currently being held on my PC's Hard Drive?

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10 Technical preview.

I would recommend you to refer to the Microsoft blog before installing windows 10.

Register, install and engage | Windows Insider Program

You can refer to the Microsoft article and check if it helps:

How to: Upgrade from Previous Versions of Windows Using Windows 10 ISO file

You may refer to the Microsoft article for how to install windows 10 over windows 8, 8.1 and 7.

How to upgrade to Windows 10 from within Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 using Windows Update

Hope this information is helpful, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Jun 19, 2015
  3. Will installing Windows 10 uninstall all programs currently being held on my PC's Hard Drive?

I want to reserve and upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. I am just a bit hesitant to do so, not knowing if installing windows 10 will remove all currently

installed files and programs on my Windows 8.1 PC. It is also worth to note i do not use OneDrive to backup my files.

My main question is basically, will installing Windows 10 on my current Windows 8.1 PC uninstall all programs and files or will it just upgrade the OS without affecting all my local files on my HardDrive?

JamesWard98, Jun 19, 2015
  4. Will programs uninstall properly with Win10?

Traditional desktop programmes I would think will be the same as in previous versions of Windows, not seen anything to suggest there is any difference

newer style store apps, should be completely removed when uninstalling, traditional style apps will be coming to the store at some point (if the developers want to do this), so uninstalling them might be better when this happens, time will tell on this one

paulsalter, Jun 19, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    There are third party uninstallers that will do a better job than the standard Windows uninstaller but none of them will be perfect.. just a better.

BunnyJ, Jun 19, 2015
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    It is not as simple as that. With modern technology most things are more complex than they appear.

Modern applications are complex. Typically the application will be contained in a folder in the Program Files folder but some components may be elsewhere. Program settings are typically in the registry but may also be in files in a variety of locations. There are no firm standards for this, only conventions, and they are frequently ignored. Only the application developer and installer know all the details.

To remove the application the developer typically provides an uninstaller. Unfortunately uninstallers often do not receive the attention that is warranted. Human nature being what it is, developers often find to difficult to understand why anyone would wish to uninstall their application. As a result uninstallers are often an afterthought and are not fully tested. Fully removing an application can be very difficult, particularly when it has been used by multiple users. In some cases full removal is not practical or even desirable. In many cases application settings are left behind as a convenience for users if the application is later installed.

Windows uninstaller merely serves as a front end for the developer supplied uninstaller. Installers being what they are Windows has no way of knowing for certain what registry entries and files belong to what application. In the interests of safety Windows makes no attempt to more fully remove the application. Some third party uninstallers do attempt this but they have been known to go wrong with unpredictable results. Windows prefers to err on the side of caution.

With traditional desktop applications there is nothing more that Windows can do. New style Apps are a different matter entirely.

LMiller7, Jun 19, 2015
  7. rvbfan Win User
    Very good answer. Its more up to the software provider than Windows. Just look at McAfee and the hoops you go through to completely uninstall.

rvbfan, Jun 19, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

Manually "cleaning up" after the uninstaller is pretty easy too.

Just show Hidden Folders in File Explorer and go to C:\Users\YourName\AppData, in the Local & Roaming folders delete the files with the programs name.

Then in RegEdit go to HKEY-LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER and delete the keys with the programs name(NOTE: only in these two places!!!).

Cliff S, Jun 19, 2015
  9. topgundcp Win User
    I am sorry but it's not as easy as you think. There are keys that the software developers put in the registry that cannot be removed and they often embed the key with non printable characters. For example, if you install a 30-day trial software and when it expires, you uninstall it then re-install. Do you think it will work just by deleting what you mentioned above ? I don't think so. The only way to completely remove them from your PC is to restore the backup image that you created before installing any 30-day trial software

topgundcp, Jun 19, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    That's how I clean up when I have to re-install a program(such as my USB mobile broadband software) that keeps re-installing using "old" installations settings. It has always worked good for me. You just have to stay away from WinSxS keys or it gets messy. I have also purged my Lenovo H530 of it's bulkware this way, the only thing remaining is the logo on Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System*Wink.

Cliff S, Jun 19, 2015
  11. Fragment Win User
    You can use free software deployment tools to make sure programs are installed correctly and more importantly uninstalled COMPLETELY without any zombie files or zombie registry entries remaining in the registry.

One free open source tool for that is WPKG -> WPKG | Open Source Software Deployment and Distribution

But there are other ones as well.

They work after a simple principle. They record every step during an installation and basically revert the installation one by one when uninstalling. And they dont leave stuff out like some not so well implemented uninstallers do.

Some uninstaller tools are advertising complete removals but don't actually use the "recording every step" - technique.
    Those maybe better than the standard windows uninstaller from "Programs & Features" but those are also not 100% efficient when it comes to removing really every hidden change of an installation (like shared system32 files, registry edits, user files).

Fragment, Jun 19, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    As LMiller says, most often this is simply lazy or incompetent developers that don't bother to clean up everything in their uninstaller.

However, sometimes it's more difficult that that. If I write an application, and I need to install certain system files for it to run, I have no idea whether some other app might also depend on those files that was installed after me. If I remove those files, I can break other apps, so most developers opt to leave these system files alone during uninstall.

Mystere, Jun 20, 2015
  13. Autobahn Win User

A lot of interesting replies above.

Autobahn, Jun 20, 2015
  14. Is one of the reasons I still debate going back to linux from time to time. Windows is never really clean. With linux a simple command in the terminal 100% cleans out whatever package, no leftovers.

I prefer Windows integration with my Windows phone rather than the hodge podge between linux and android through Google else I would go back in a heartbeat :/

jmgibson1981, Jun 25, 2015
  15. Mystere Win User
    Don't kid yourself. There's all kinds of "messy" in Linux. Yes, most apps have their own configurations, but check out your /etc directory after a while, it's filled with config files for apps you don't use anymore. To be sure, you can simply delete them, but Windows is actually making a lot of inroads here.

Universal apps are now completely isolated. When you remove a Universal App, it's gone, including all configuration and support files.

Mystere, Jun 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Will programs uninstall properly with Win10? - Similar Threads - programs uninstall properly

2. How to properly uninstall a program properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to properly uninstall a program properly: How to properly uninstall a program after I deleted it's folder, yet the program shows in programs and features. The same question in on how to uninstall office apps - when I press uninstall right on the app, it opens controll panel with programs and features and office nor...
  3. How to properly uninstall a program properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to properly uninstall a program properly: How to properly uninstall a program after I deleted it's folder, yet the program shows in programs and features. The same question in on how to uninstall office apps - when I press uninstall right on the app, it opens controll panel with programs and features and office nor...
  4. How to properly uninstall a program properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Games not uninstalled properly?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games not uninstalled properly?: Hey everyone,I'm in the midst of clearing out my drives for more space and I've noticed that when I try to uninstall storage relating to games I uninstalled previously, I'm unable to. I'm attempting to do this from Settings and everytime I press delete I get a notification...
  6. Games not uninstalled properly?

Games not uninstalled properly?: Hey everyone,I'm in the midst of clearing out my drives for more space and I've noticed that when I try to uninstall storage relating to games I uninstalled previously, I'm unable to. I'm attempting to do this from Settings and everytime I press delete I get a notification...
  7. uninstalling of catia properly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    uninstalling of catia properly: I installed catia from my college pc. later after some days i opened file location of catia software and i deleted all files in it. after that i tried to install catia again during setup it shows me there is a file all ready in use. So i went control panel to uninstall them....
  8. Program doesn`t uninstall properly.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Program doesn`t uninstall properly.: So I uninstalled a program from the windows 10 settings app. After it finished it said that the uninstallation was successful. But the problem is that the program is still pined to my taskbar and I can still run it and it works perfectly fine. But the funny thing is, I can`t...
  9. Game not uninstalling properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Game not uninstalling properly: For some reason, Halo MCC was not functioning properly, so I uninstalled it. But when I did this, the space it took up did not go away, but the ability to launch the game did. How do I fix this so I can reinstall the game. Thank you...
  10. Cannot uninstall a program in Win10

Cannot uninstall a program in Win10: So I uninstalled a program, and a day later I did a system restore. The program is back, but I can't uninstall it again. When I try to uninstall it from the add/remove programs list nothing happens, same with using ccleaner. Found this, but it doesn't work for Win10:...