Windows 10: Will Switching to New Router Change IP Address?

Discus and support Will Switching to New Router Change IP Address? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If I switch my current modem router for a new one, would my PC's IP address change or stay the same? Is this my public IP address my cable company... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by yahanna, Mar 23, 2017.

1. yahanna Win User

Will Switching to New Router Change IP Address?

If I switch my current modem router for a new one, would my PC's IP address change or stay the same? Is this my public IP address my cable company assigns me? Would this public address change when switching to a new router?

:)

yahanna, Mar 23, 2017

2. Nokia Lumia 925

where are you seeing this change of address? when are you seeing this change of address?

After the phone goes to sleep, it turns the WiFi off, so it technically has no IP address, although any router might still hold the IP address in it's cache until it expires. (unless you select the 'always on' function described by Garym123)

When you switch it back on, it will start looking for a WiFi network. when it finds your router it will connect, and be assigned an IP address based on the DHCP of the router.

Your phone could be getting a new IP address from another WiFi network in the area before your network. you could try deleting other networks so the only preferred network is yours.

Static IP's work fine for me, assigned in the router based on MAC as you describe.

does the connection actually work? what problem is the IP address?

Martin Crosbie, Mar 23, 2017
  3. hadimassa Win User
    E-71 Printing Help Needed

The second IP could be your router or switch.

hadimassa, Mar 23, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Your public IP is set by DHCP but often ISP reserve the same one for you others change Everytime you login. Your local IP may not be the same either it's likely in the same 192 range

Samuria, Mar 23, 2017
  5. The WAN IP your router gets from your ISP is your public IP address. That is what is seen from the Internet. That may or may not change, it depends on the ISP. IMHO It likely won't change. The IP addresses your router gives out to PC's on the LAN side are private IP's. Usually those IP addresses are first come first served. The first device to connect gets the lowest IP address in the range handed out. Those will likely shuffle around when you switch routers. That's usually no big deal. If your not already using a static IP you likely don't need to worry about it. Are you worried this swap is going to break something you already setup?

alphanumeric, Mar 23, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The quickest way to find out your public IP is to Google for: what's my ip

My ISP assigns the first available public IP from their pool each time I connect. To see what your ISP does, check your public IP before and after rebooting your router. If it stays the same it's likely to be the same IP with the new router.

7. cereberus Win User
    The publicly IP is normally dynamic and changes each time you reboot the router but the LAN IP does not change.

However, if you change the router, you will almost certainly get a new external IP, and quite probably a different internal IP.

Common internal IPs are 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.254, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.254

If it is essential you use a static IP address for the PC, you will need to change it if the third subnet number (0 or 1 above) is different, or change the LAN IP to be same as old router.

cereberus, Mar 23, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

'Normally' depends on your ISP. Here in the UK BT Broadband is dynamic, Virgin (cable, like the OP's) is static.

9. yahanna Win User
    The reason I ask is cuz I want to disguise my IP addy from the net.

yahanna, Mar 24, 2017
  10. pparks1 Win User
    Not exactly correct. Your router gets an IP address which is usually dynamic. It has a lease time. If you are within the lease time, your router will get the same IP address it had before.

pparks1, Mar 24, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    Again, it varies from one ISP to the next. With mine rebooting the router will always get a new IP.

Thema:

1. Will Switching to New Router Change IP Address? - Similar Threads - Switching Router Change

2. How to change IP address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change IP address: I have reason to believe that hackers have changed my IP address. If I do change it will I need to make any other changes as far as internet connections etc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-ip-address/154b7011-d926-4f90-a3ac-82db529b1251
  3. change ip address

change ip address: I need help changing my ip address can you get on my machine and change it for me ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ip-address/cbd3a599-43f7-4737-aeae-4a2b6de28873
  4. change ip address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change ip address: I need help changing my ip address can you get on my machine and change it for me ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ip-address/cbd3a599-43f7-4737-aeae-4a2b6de28873
  5. change ip address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Change IP4v IP Address

Change IP4v IP Address: I have a network camera with the default IP Address as 192.168.5.163. My PC runs Windows 10, 20H2 and is currently using DHCP. It is connected to a POE switch that gives my PC this IPv4 IP Address 192.168.0.26. How do I change it so that I can access the camera? Thanks....
  7. How to change an IP address

How to change an IP address: I am setting up a new laptop with Windows 10. I have always used Mozilla (sorry) and downloaded it and set it up with my email address. Now it is telling me that my IP address is that of my old computer (also does the same if I use the Edge browser). What should I do? Thank...
  8. Change my IP address

Change my IP address: How on earth do I randomly change my IP address? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-my-ip-address/2923e617-4618-4df9-8bfa-181e82098d5b
  9. Email Links redirected to ISP router IP address

in Browsers and Email
    Email Links redirected to ISP router IP address: On all PCs, Android and iOS tablets, and Android phones, many of my links in emails (I use Microsoft Mail, Outlook.com and Gmail) haven't worked for 3 days. The broken ones all have my Hub IP Address and a few more words before "_url=http:// . . ." (then what I assume is the...
  10. How to Find a Router’s IP Address (for Mac)!

How to Find a Router’s IP Address (for Mac)!: Hello all brothers/sisters, Greetings to all! I am newbie here. I am looking for Router IP Address for my Mac. How can I do that? Though I started reading articles from online. And found few good articles like How to Find a Router’s IP Address (for Windows and Mac) |...