Windows 10: Will Upgrading To WIN 10 Affect My WIN 7 Activation Authority?

Discus and support Will Upgrading To WIN 10 Affect My WIN 7 Activation Authority? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; [img] [img] [img] Will Upgrading To WIN 10 Affect My WIN 7 Activation Authority? I have WIN 7 on my SSD1 which I loaded from a WIN 7 OEM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by poolmon, Feb 11, 2016.

1. poolmon Win User

Will Upgrading To WIN 10 Affect My WIN 7 Activation Authority?

Will Upgrading To WIN 10 Affect My WIN 7 Activation Authority? [​IMG]

I have WIN 7 on my SSD1 which I loaded from a WIN 7 OEM Homebuilder's Disk that I purchased.

I have cloned that SSD1 to another as an emergency backup SSD2, that I keep on the shelf.

If I allow WIN 10 to Upgrade my computer's SSD1 and 3 months down the road choose to go back to using WIN 7, can I just plug in my WIN 7 cloned SSD2 or will activation of WIN 10 somehow treat my WIN 7 clone as unauthorized?

I realize I may be able to use the original purchased WIN 7 disk to reinstall it from scratch on SSD1, but I would not want to have to go through all that. And, might that reinstall not work long term either since Microsoft has the original WIN 7 Authorization Code and may have de-authorized it upon the install of WIN 10 (or the passing of the 30 day rollback period . . . which rollback I also would not want to have to do either after reading some of the issues here)?

I am very hesitant to install WIN 10 without the ability to easily go back to WIN 7 via clone, especially since my current SSD does not even have a System Reserve Partition, let alone the 500mb one WIN 10 seems to require which has caused issues for some who had only had a smaller WIN 7 100mb Reserve Partition, resulting in total boot failure.

:)

poolmon, Feb 11, 2016

2. Crashed laptop-hd ok.

My HP laptop had been upgraded from Vista to Win 7 pro and I had it double booting with win 8.1. I activated the free upgrade to win 10 on both installations. I downloaded the ISO and upgraded the win 8.1 to 10 successfully. then my HP started acting
    up and now will not boot - the famous motherboard failure. The hard drive is good. I installed it in my Dell and it boots to win 10 fine but I cannot activate it. Needless to say, the win 7 just boots to the BSOD. Now I can not use the key from either
    to activate a new installation of win 10 and (I haven't tried to upgrade my win 7 home premium to pro yet as I don't think it will activate - seems to be locked by the upgrade registration).

My goal now is to upgrade my Dell (which is currently dual booting to win 7 home premium and Linux Mint) to triple boot to an upgrade of win 7 pro, a new installation of win 10 along with Linux Mint.

Any help will be appreciated.

bigDlittleadoubledyo, Feb 11, 2016
  3. S.K. LAM Win User
    How to downgrade the Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home (upgraded from Windows 7 Home)

It means there is no way for Win 10 Pro downgrade to Win 10 home (upgrade from Win 7 Home) unless I reinstall the win 7 home then upgrade to win 10 home?

If I do the clean install of that PC installed Win 10 Pro upgrade from Win 10 Home (upgraded from Win 7 Home) and skipped the inserting key steps then connect internet, will my PC activate automatically for Win 10 Home or Win 10 Pro?

S.K. LAM, Feb 11, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

A cloned version will work fine and will not even need to be reactivated.

cereberus, Feb 11, 2016
  5. poolmon Win User
    Are you saying a WIN 7 Activation code will always be usable for WIN 7 (even if that WIN 7 OS has been upgraded to WIN 10 and activated as an upgraded WIN 10 and the 30 day rollback option period is expired)? Is there any Microsoft or other site that you may be aware of that gets into more details of this ? Thanks

poolmon, Feb 11, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    A cloned copy is an exact copy - you have the right to reuse your old key at any time - the only rule is you cannot both at same time.

It will work. Equally, you can reinstall Windows 10 on same pc/mobo at any time in future.

cereberus, Feb 11, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Recovery options in Windows 10 - Windows Help

Click the last link on this page, "Go back to your previous version of Windows" and read the points under "If go back isn't available"

Going back to the cloned Windows 7 would be exactly the same as restoring a factory image - you would just be using your cloning software to do it instead.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Will Upgrading To WIN 10 Affect My WIN 7 Activation Authority? - Similar Threads - Upgrading Affect Activation

2. Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade: I have a really nice laptop that rarely get used that has Win 7 on it but it's becoming outdated and lost Microsoft support. It's a shame the Win 7 has reached it's end of life. Laptop works great. It MORE than has the capacity to run Win 10 Processor, Storage, Cache etc.....
  3. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: I was given a Win 7 laptop recently. I am trying to figure out how to upgrade it to 10? Any ideas how I go about that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-win-7-to-win-10/cf7cfb0e-47d5-4031-a29f-468e37e00817
  4. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: I was given a Win 7 laptop recently. I am trying to figure out how to upgrade it to 10? Any ideas how I go about that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-win-7-to-win-10/cf7cfb0e-47d5-4031-a29f-468e37e00817
  5. Win 7 to win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to win 10 upgrade: This issue was posted 2 yrs ago and no solution was found then. It still has the same problem today on my Toshiba L775 laptop:Error: 0x8007001F - 0x20006 the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with error during REPLICATE_OC operation while upgrading to Windows 10 from...
  6. Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade

Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade: So I'm biting the bullet and finally upgrading to Win10 from Win7 (upgrading my computer from Win7 hardware to Win10). However I don't have a Win10 key directly, but I do hear you can upgrade from Win7 to 10 for free still. How would this work in my case? Would I install...
  7. win 7 to win 10 upgrade

win 7 to win 10 upgrade: attempting 7 to 10 upgrade with sony tv hdmi interface. Mode not supported and safe mode boot not possible. Do I need to get a vga or dvi cable?? Crazy! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10-upgrade/880463d6-de67-487c-8428-403179fa6e36
  8. Win 7 upgrade to Win 10

Win 7 upgrade to Win 10: I currently have windows 7 and just found out I was to get a free upgrade to Window 10. How do I acquire it please? * Moved from Insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-upgrade-to-win-10/660e7921-eca1-4cde-be15-203ea0536f50
  9. upgrade win.7 to win 10

upgrade win.7 to win 10: I have 2 win 7 home that I upgraded to win 10 in my house they are fine But I have a win.7 home 32 bit in my shop out back i decided 2 days ago to upgrade it to windows 10 with media creation tool everything is working fine but I still don't have ver 1511 10586.36 I am...
  10. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: My Gateway laptop has Win7 Sp1 64bit installed. I've tried 5 different times to upgrade to 10. Using the 64bit creative tool the download goes great, completes and the install starts, then says "failed in first boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation." Also shows...