Windows 10: Will W10 delete my partition drive after install?

Discus and support Will W10 delete my partition drive after install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, Stupid question probably, however I cannot find an answer online and I'm not the most tech savvy. I bought a HP laptop around Christmas... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by awg88, Jul 28, 2015.

1. awg88 Win User

Will W10 delete my partition drive after install?

Hi all,

Stupid question probably, however I cannot find an answer online and I'm not the most tech savvy.

I bought a HP laptop around Christmas last year. The laptop came with a recovery partition, which I still to date haven't got around to getting a 32gb drive to back it up to.

I stupidly left W10 installing this morning when my upgrade was offered, but am worried now that the partition with my recovery may be deleted and I may no longer be able to get that onto a drive in case I ever need to re-install the laptop.

Has anyone successfully installed W10 and can tell me whether the recovery partition will still be there when I get home?

Thanks for any responses everyone.

:)

awg88, Jul 28, 2015

2. Win 10 Pro Install Fails With Error C1900101-20017

I just wanted to come in here and post what wound up being my solution after months of trying to upgrade to W10.

I spent MONTHS trying to upgrade. It turned out to be my boot partition. Its usually called "System Reserved"( it ususallly wont show unless you are in disk management). On my machine it had been deleted when I incorrectly
    restored a system image to a new drive after a drive failure. Macrium startup repair fixed the machine after the restore so it would boot, but did not actually make a new boot partition. When I was first trying to install W10, the machine would not even boot.
    Just a black screen because W10 needed the boot partition. So, I created one, but after my C drive. So, my disk had C drive first, then the boot partition. After trying the upgrade, it would boot, but back to W7 with the C1900101-20017 error.... Months went
    by and I tried all of the suggestions...replaced my network card because old broadcom cards could cause the error and uninstalled many unused programs...still no dice on getting W10 to work. Then, I decided to move the boot partition to before the C drive
    partition and whammo, W10 installed without a hitch... TLDR version; make sure your boot partition (maybe called system reserved) is before your C drive. You have to look in disk management and the boot partition should be before(to the left) of the partition
    that contains your operating system...If it isnt, use a tool like mini tool partition wizard free to move teh boot partition to the left of the os.

RichardHoatland, Jul 28, 2015
  3. DanteWeb Win User
    Cannot delete recovery partition

i buy new acer sw5-012, i install w10 by automatic update but at 39% the setup stucked and after in recovery stucked also Will W10 delete my partition drive after install? :( i lost all.

I create usb w10 media by media creation tool, so when i install i found 4 partition, i install on bigger partition.

Now there are different problem with intel driver, but i will found the right driver from acer, in disk management now i found 3 partition, the third partition is recovery but i can't delete. Why?

After deleted is possible make an extension of OS partition?

w10 partition acer sw5-012- Cannot delete recovery partition- Original Title

DanteWeb, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

No, it won't delete any partitions. It will upgrade your existing Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, nothing more.

Ztruker, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Will W10 delete my partition drive after install? - Similar Threads - W10 delete partition

2. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  3. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  4. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. install w10 in a hdd partition

install w10 in a hdd partition: how to install w10 in a hdd partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-w10-in-a-hdd-partition/d91c95f8-11c8-44b4-9bba-fb79ee563776
  6. Strange Partitions after W10 install on new build

Strange Partitions after W10 install on new build: I've just built a new PC and installed W10 from a USB after using the W10 creation tool on my old build. Everything seemed to install fine but I noticed some quirks (like start button and key not doing anything) so I decided to do a reset. That completed but now I've...
  7. clean install after deleting partitions

clean install after deleting partitions: I have deleted the partitions, and have the unallocated space partition, clicked on next, but it won't progress. There's an hourglass that just sits there. Nothing happening....
  8. Deleted Partition in installation

Deleted Partition in installation: Hello, I was trying to format my disk to install a clean install of windows 10. However, when I formatted the C drive, all my other partitions were lost and they all became unallocated space. Is there any way to save those files. I'm really desparate because they were...
  9. Deleted W10 recovery partition - hwo to recreate?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted W10 recovery partition - hwo to recreate?: Hi all Was trying to clean up an external drive in gparted from my debian OS (dual boot) that would not be read in W10. I got my sd ids mixed up and accidentally deleted the W10 Recovery partition. Any way of recreating it in the now spare space ats the end of the drive to...
  10. Installing W10 in a HD partition

Installing W10 in a HD partition: Hello, I have a Windows 8.1 system (64 bit) and I "qualified" for the Windows 10 free upgrade, which I could already do. [img] (My system is in French, sorry about that).) What I'd like to do is to have both systems in the same computer, I know how to shrink my HD in...