Windows 10: Will we be able to clean install Windows 10 post release?

Discus and support Will we be able to clean install Windows 10 post release? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Microsoft has been marketing the free upgrade like crazy. But will there be an official ISO to allow us to clean install? 6611 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SilverTelperion, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Will we be able to clean install Windows 10 post release?

Microsoft has been marketing the free upgrade like crazy. But will there be an official ISO to allow us to clean install?

:)

SilverTelperion, Jun 1, 2015

2. Will we be able to clean install Windows 10 when the upgrade becomes available?

Microsoft has been marketing the free upgrade like crazy. But will there be an official ISO to allow us to clean install?

Alastair Abela, Jun 1, 2015
  3. Will we be able to clean install Windows 10 when the upgrade becomes available?

Hi Alastair,

Welcome to Microsoft community.

I apologies for your inconvenience. I will surely help you with this issue.

I appreciate your interest on windows 10.

The Free Upgrade is applicable for computers with Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.

An official ISO of windows 10 will allow you to clean install or not windows 10 version will be update you shortly.

Since the release of Windows 10 Technical Preview, Microsoft has introduced a new feature called Preview Builds which is a delta that upgrades Windows 10 to a brand build without affecting applications, personal data and settings.
    This in itself could be a reflection of things to come (speculation) heading towards the final release.

I hope this information will help.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Jun 1, 2015
  4. banger Win User

Will we be able to clean install Windows 10 post release?

I am wondering too as I only have a 20GB disk for Win 8.1 which might not be enough for the upgrade.

banger, Jun 1, 2015
  5. I asked the same question a few weeks back. As I was told: "Yes it has been promised that clean install will be allowed with trading in a legal window key."

thunderclap, Jun 2, 2015
  6. Also asked it on the Microsoft Community forums, and it seems that yes, it will be possible.

SilverTelperion, Jun 2, 2015
  7. Sorry, but if you're asking about using an ISO to do a clean install to upgrade a win7/8/8/1 machine -- which has not yet been upgraded to Win10 -- no one has the official answer from MS yet about this.

ALL the stuff linked in various posts and threads talks about doing a clean-install of a PC that has ALREADY been upgraded. If you actually read the details of the MS answers, you will see that they clearly state the "same device". While this does no mean you can not use that ISO to update a different device, it also does not mean that you CAN.

The answer in the MS community forum was from an MS MVP -- a forum moderator -- NOT from Microsoft, itself. And, his answers were not really for the question asked -- read through the details of his response to confirm that. Even his link to Paul's article, in there Paul says that he has not (yet) confirmed that ISOs will be made available for Win10 install in the same manner that they have been made available for Win8.1.

We're all just guessing, here.

Mark Phelps, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Will we be able to clean install Windows 10 post release?

1. Will we be able to clean install Windows 10 post release? - Similar Threads - able clean install

2. Windows 10 Post Installation question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Post Installation question: A bit of background:I have an ASUS desktop PC, M32BF series. I started getting a warning during the BIOS POST screen about the main HDD being bad, so out of caution I decided to go ahead and get a new HDD. It's a conventional HDD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB. The existing disk is a...
  3. Windows 10 Post Installation question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Post Installation question: A bit of background:I have an ASUS desktop PC, M32BF series. I started getting a warning during the BIOS POST screen about the main HDD being bad, so out of caution I decided to go ahead and get a new HDD. It's a conventional HDD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB. The existing disk is a...
  4. Windows 10 installation on clean drive fails with error "We couldn't install Windows in the...

Windows 10 installation on clean drive fails with error "We couldn't install Windows in the...: I'm installing Windows 10 from a flash drive purchased from microsoft.com on a new machine that I built. Currently installation is failing when I try to select where the installation location. The only location available is "Drive 0 Unallocated Space" which seems correct to...
  5. Not able to post to Facebook

in Browsers and Email
    Not able to post to Facebook: When I try to post to FB from my desktop the window to which I'm trying to post gets dark then goes away. I switched the PC to my wife's desktop and there are no FB problems, only on my desktop. Any ideas on this one? 79334
  6. Will I be able to do a clean install of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will I be able to do a clean install of Windows 10?: Hope this has not been asked before. I have the Windows 7 disc which I purchased and since then have upgraded to Windows 8 & 8.1 via the Windows Store. When Windows 10 is released I'd like to do a fresh install. Does anyone know if this will be possible or would I have...
  7. Windows 10 is not able to shutdown cleanly. Windows Bug!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 is not able to shutdown cleanly. Windows Bug!: After doing an upgrade instal over a perfectly running Win 7 Pro, I noticed that the Reliability Monitor was throwing up an error "Windows was not shut down properly". This appears to happen on most shutdowns and restarts of the PC using the normal shutdown method:...
  8. Windows 10 Clean Install - We couldn't create a new partition or locat

Windows 10 Clean Install - We couldn't create a new partition or locat: I originally made a USB key which booted fine, but could not install on any partition on two different PCs and 4 different drives. It gave the error message "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files." Tried...
  9. Clean Install/Reformat Once Final Version Is Released?

Clean Install/Reformat Once Final Version Is Released?: Hi everyone, I'm just wondering as googling didn't turn up much, but does anyone know if you go to the 10 tech preview, will you have to do a clean install/reformat once the final version is release? Or will you simply just 'upgrade' or 'update'. I've been unable to find...
  10. Computer will not now post after Win 10 clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer will not now post after Win 10 clean install: I clean installed Windows 10 about 2-3 weeks before the problem. During the clean install, the computer crashed once, but was otherwise rock stable. The first time I had the current problem I got an error saying something like Boot Failed and the Bios was reset to its...