Windows 10: Will Win 10 pc boot from usb?

Discus and support Will Win 10 pc boot from usb? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-pOXX. Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1703 (build 15063.483) I downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect Free and made a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Aug 6, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

Will Win 10 pc boot from usb?

HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-pOXX. Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1703 (build 15063.483)

I downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect Free and made a disk image of my drive c:\. It appears to be all there. At Macrium's suggestion I rebooted with the drive attached but the system booted to the hard drive without offering an option. A quick Google search https://blog.macrium.com/techie-tues...e-e6be74abb089 states that a clone disk will not boot from usb but is not specific about disk image.

If it is true that win 10 will not boot from usb, how would usb versions of Win 10 be installable?

Perhaps I should have reformatted the usb drive to NTFS from Fat32?

:)

tcebob, Aug 6, 2017

2. Win 10 install, does not boot with USB win 10 stick

My PC using Win XP, does not boot from Win 10 USB stick. I enter into Bios, change to boot from Win 10 USB stick, save and exit. PC continues to boot in Win XP.

David Shimada, Aug 6, 2017
  3. karisy Win User
    Boot error on new win 10 install

Old PC not compatible with win 10 so get new box & upgraded to 10 from a fresh install of win 7 but not without problems due to the number of updates required. Eventually all was good, win 10 installed & all worked well for several days but after getting
    halfway through configuring new PC with additional drives from old PC, I now the message "File:\boot\BCD error code oxc000000d - use recovery or consult my administrator" when trying to boot to win 10! I didn't get as far as creating a recovery image or boot
    disc for win 10 & I can't seem to find any means of producing recovery media for 10 on line - so what now?

To make matters worse, when I boot new PC from an old standby copy of my completely legit win 7 which is on a disc from old PC (to try & sort the problem out!), I get a message saying "this copy of win 7 is not genuine!

karisy, Aug 6, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

At the HP Splash Screen, press ESC to invoke the 'One Time' boot menu, then choose the flash drive and press Enter.

Edwin, Aug 6, 2017
  5. tcebob Win User
    I don't believe I have ever seen an HP Splash Screen. I hit ESC throughout the boot, just to be sure. How would I activate the screen? What does it look like?

tcebob, Aug 6, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 6, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    Some BIOSes can be set to not display the brand logo, show more of the onscreen text of the booting process. Sometimes immediately upon hearing a faint beep one can start pressing a key to enter the BIOS setup to make changes but it depends upon the BIOS or brand that implemented it. The computers I have problems with [usually because I'm in a hurry] are those that I fail to look up on the 'net to see the manual as to the basics.

Berton, Aug 6, 2017
  8. Will Win 10 pc boot from usb?

"But Windows cannot boot from a USB connected drive; this is a restriction imposed by Windows."
    "If you clone your system disk to a USB connected external drive then, to boot your clone the physical disk must be removed from the USB caddy and attached to your Motherboard SATA port." That is included in the Macrium article you looked up.
    I use Macrium Free and have cloned to USB external drives but afterward removed the installed HDD and then installed the cloned drive and attached it to the Motherboard SATA port.
    Are you trying to keep your original HDD installed and have the cloned drive available for when you want to replace the the original HDD?

MeAndMyComputer, Aug 6, 2017
  9. Edwin New Member
    Lets clear up one thing...

Are you trying to create a bootable installation usb or a portable "Windows To Go" usb?

Edwin, Aug 6, 2017
  10. tcebob Win User
    Edwin, I was hoping that the Macrium disk image would be the right thing for booting in an emergency. It seems to say so in the Macrium program.

I believe I am, after all, seeing the Hp Splash screen but it is white on black instead of white on blue as depicted on some sites.

Here goes another try -- with the usb plugged into a port on the back of the pc. I'll try esc and F12 as possibilities.

tcebob, Aug 6, 2017
  11. Edwin New Member
    Yes..., but, for running Windows or installing Windows?

You're seeing the Diagnostic Screen, here's how to disable it and get the Splash Screen:

Will Win 10 pc boot from  usb? [​IMG]

Will Win 10 pc boot from  usb? [​IMG]

Edwin, Aug 6, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    I think there is some major confusion here that should be cleared up.

If you made an image of your hard drive for backup purposes - that image is just a single file (or broken up into 4GB chunks if you saved it to FAT32). It is not bootable. It is just a backup image file.

In order to restore the image, you need to create the bootable Macrium Reflect rescue drive, usually a USB flash drive (also known as thumb drive or memory stick). You would boot your computer from the rescue drive, and then restore the backup image to wherever it needed to be restored to.

Macrium Reflect also allows you to browse the saved backup image file and just copy over individual files from it if desired.

NavyLCDR, Aug 6, 2017
  13. Edwin New Member

Now we're talkin! *Thumbs

Edwin, Aug 6, 2017
  14. tcebob Win User
    Edwin, I was hoping that the Macrium disk image would be the right thing for booting in an emergency. It seems to say so in the Macrium program.

I believe I am, after all, seeing the Hp Splash screen but it is white on black instead of white on blue as depicted on some sites.

Here goes another try -- with the usb plugged into a port on the back of the pc. I'll try esc and F12 as possibilities.

tcebob, Aug 6, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Also note, Windows 10 fast startup will interfere with the ability to get into the BIOS boot menu or setup after a normal shutdown and power back on.

NavyLCDR, Aug 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Will Win 10 pc boot from usb? - Similar Threads - boot usb

2. Windows 11 usb boot issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 usb boot issue: I'm trying to install windows 11 to replace Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS on my pc. Purchased the usb from microsoft and booted into the bios F2 but the windows usb doesn't appear as an option. Tried disengaging secure boot etc, but whatever config I try in the bios / boot manager - no...
  3. Windows 11 usb boot issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 usb boot issue: I'm trying to install windows 11 to replace Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS on my pc. Purchased the usb from microsoft and booted into the bios F2 but the windows usb doesn't appear as an option. Tried disengaging secure boot etc, but whatever config I try in the bios / boot manager - no...
  4. Surface Pro 9 will not boot USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 9 will not boot USB: I have tried every way possible but my surface will NOT boot from USB. I've disabled secure boot, I've disabled bitlocker. I've tried Windows and RUFUS to created a bootable drive. I've tried both ports on the surface, I've tried different USB keys. I've tried booting from...
  5. Surface Pro 9 will not boot USB

Surface Pro 9 will not boot USB: I have tried every way possible but my surface will NOT boot from USB. I've disabled secure boot, I've disabled bitlocker. I've tried Windows and RUFUS to created a bootable drive. I've tried both ports on the surface, I've tried different USB keys. I've tried booting from...
  6. Windows 10 gets stuck when booting from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 gets stuck when booting from USB: So I'm trying to boot my PC from a USB in which there are the Windows 10 files generated with MediaCreationTool.The problem I'm encountering is that when following the normal steps of the installation I'm actually following the next guide: LightJack - Installing Windows 10...
  7. Windows 10 gets stuck when booting from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 gets stuck when booting from USB: So I'm trying to boot my PC from a USB in which there are the Windows 10 files generated with MediaCreationTool.The problem I'm encountering is that when following the normal steps of the installation I'm actually following the next guide: LightJack - Installing Windows 10...
  8. Windows 10 gets stuck when booting from USB

9. Windows 10 gets stuck when booting from USB

10. Windows 10 gets stuck when booting from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade