Windows 10: Will win 7 problems/corruption prohibit upgrading to win 10?

Discus and support Will win 7 problems/corruption prohibit upgrading to win 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have win 7 home premium sp1. There are some problems that cause updating to net.framework 4.5.x and above to fail as well as some other failures of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Caramelo, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Caramelo Win User

Will win 7 problems/corruption prohibit upgrading to win 10?

I have win 7 home premium sp1. There are some problems that cause updating to net.framework 4.5.x and above to fail as well as some other failures of updates. I have not been able to solve these issues despite extensive trouble shooting.

Does the upgrade from Win 7 to win 10 require a completely healthy and completely updated win 7 or is Win 10 a complete installation by itself?

:)

Caramelo, Jul 21, 2016

2. Is Windows 10 practical to use with a metered internet connection of 5GB per month?

While you can prohibit upgrading over a metered connection the chances are it will increase your bandwidth usage. How much it will is unknown but win 10 is more :chatty" than win 7.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 21, 2016
  3. Xbox app streaming SUPER laggy

System file check works on Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1, and win 10.

I think they are looking to see if there is a corrupt file from the upgrade.

Sporty7579, Jul 21, 2016
  4. AddRAM Win User

As long as you have the Get Windows 10 icon, you should be fine.

If you`re worried you can always clean install 10 and enter your Windows 7 key.

Make sure you`re certain that upgrading is what you wanna do, and as always, backup your data.

AddRAM, Jul 21, 2016
  5. Caramelo Win User
    I will try the repair install option for win 7 first before I go the win 10 route. I was just curious. Thanks for the answer.

Caramelo, Jul 21, 2016
  6. Hi:

>>Disclaimer: I am NO expert and the only Win10 system I have is OEM, not an upgrade.

Having said that, my "take" on this from having spent a lot of time here and at other fora for the past year is that upgrading a broken system cannot necessarily be expected to fix what ails it.
    IOW, the upgrade will carry over the messed up stuff from 7/8/8.1 to 10.
    "Best practices" would probably be to fix up the Win 7 system first?
    Otherwise, once you upgrade to 10, you may end up having to cleanly reinstall it, in order to resolve issues carried over from 7?

I would be interested to know what the more expert forum members have to say.

Cheers,

MoxieMomma, Jul 21, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    In addition something based on my own experience: You can think an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 as a repair install. Windows system components will be changed, upgraded to Windows 10 ones.

This quite often solves at least some of issues in underlying OS.

8. simrick Win User

I have to agree with MM on this. Of the many W7 "upgrades" I have seen, even those with no problems before upgrading, showed problems after upgrading, and a clean install was required to fix most of them.

simrick, Jul 21, 2016
  9. x509 Win User
    I had a Win 7 install that simply would not upgrade. After about the fifth try, I got an error message which I googled. the results were all about "registry corruption." So I finally installed ccleaner, and I was $%*(## amazed at just how much crap it cleaned up.

Then I ran the upgrade install again, and it proceeded like clockwork.

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    My advice before starting the upgrade on any computer, healthy or not, is to uninstall any anti-virus/anti-malware programs. Any firewall programs. Any of those extra "protections" that people are so fond of. Then do a thorough disk cleaning using option two here:
    Disk Cleanup - Open and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Install CCeaner and do the default disc cleanup with that. Also do the default registry repair with CCleaner multiple times until no more registry errors or found - or you might have the same 1 or 2 left that just will not go away.

Do an image backup of your current OS if you have a storage location to hold it.

Then do the upgrade from an ISO file downloaded from Microsoft.

NavyLCDR, Jul 21, 2016
  11. LMiller7 Win User
    Will an upgrade solve your problems? Maybe yes, maybe no.

An OS upgrade will replace all of the system files but that may not solve your problem.
    The purpose of an upgrade instead of a clean install is to retain installed applications and configuration. To make that possible substantial portions of the existing registry will be retained. If these portions have problems the upgrade is unlikely to fix them. Your problems could also be caused by third party programs and they are likely to remain.

An upgrade can be problematic, even of a healthy OS. If it has issues the potential problems are compounded.

Definitely make an image backup before proceeding. If things go badly you will at least be able to go back to the original state.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Will win 7 problems/corruption prohibit upgrading to win 10? - Similar Threads - problems corruption prohibit

2. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: I was given a Win 7 laptop recently. I am trying to figure out how to upgrade it to 10? Any ideas how I go about that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-win-7-to-win-10/cf7cfb0e-47d5-4031-a29f-468e37e00817
  3. Win 7 to win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to win 10 upgrade: This issue was posted 2 yrs ago and no solution was found then. It still has the same problem today on my Toshiba L775 laptop:Error: 0x8007001F - 0x20006 the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with error during REPLICATE_OC operation while upgrading to Windows 10 from...
  4. Upgrading from a possibly corrupted Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from a possibly corrupted Win 7 to Win 10: I have a great dell laptop. 10 years old but has an intel i7 and is probably still better than most new computers for under $1k today. I can't download my company's work from home software (Citrix Workplace) and I gather its because I haven't updated my windows in 6 years. My...
  5. Win 7 upgrade to Win 10

Win 7 upgrade to Win 10: I currently have windows 7 and just found out I was to get a free upgrade to Window 10. How do I acquire it please? * Moved from Insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-upgrade-to-win-10/660e7921-eca1-4cde-be15-203ea0536f50
  6. Win 7 Win 10 upgrade problem.

Win 7 Win 10 upgrade problem.: When I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 in 2016 everything worked OK but I couldn't type in the search field for Edge or Cortina. I couldn't find a solution online before the back out period expired so I backed out of the update. I have continued using Win 7 since then. I would...
  7. upgrade win.7 to win 10

upgrade win.7 to win 10: I have 2 win 7 home that I upgraded to win 10 in my house they are fine But I have a win.7 home 32 bit in my shop out back i decided 2 days ago to upgrade it to windows 10 with media creation tool everything is working fine but I still don't have ver 1511 10586.36 I am...
  8. was win 7 upgraded to win 10 but on RESTART win 10 Problem!!!!

was win 7 upgraded to win 10 but on RESTART win 10 Problem!!!!: I upgraded win 7 home to win 10... a dell notebook i5 processor 4GB RAM but PC starts OK - shuts downs OK but on RESTART win 10 Problem!!!! after blue window icon and before show login screen appears a black screen and PC shows working or downloading - .... after...
  9. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: My Gateway laptop has Win7 Sp1 64bit installed. I've tried 5 different times to upgrade to 10. Using the 64bit creative tool the download goes great, completes and the install starts, then says "failed in first boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation." Also shows...
  10. win 10 corrupts win 7

in Windows 10 Support
    win 10 corrupts win 7: I installed win 10 tech preview on a new hard drive installed in a 2nd bay in my HP 7-1010 pc. The original drive has win 7 on it. My intention was to have win 10 on a separate drive so win 7 would not be affected at all should something go wrong. Twice now when I try to boot...