Windows 10: will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?

Discus and support will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; In the past few days, win10 seems to have serious issues with that win7 drive plugged into the sata port? So much so that I wiped the win10 partitions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sdowney717, Nov 15, 2017.

1. will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?

In the past few days, win10 seems to have serious issues with that win7 drive plugged into the sata port?
    So much so that I wiped the win10 partitions and did fresh install. Prior to the fresh install win10 refused to boot to the desktop if that other win7 drive was plugged in, error was driver stauts filure, we need to collect data type error, over and over or it refused to boot at all.

So I fresh install win10, things seem good, it is activated linked to my ms account. I shut down, plugged in other drive, bios set to boot win10 drive, win10 screen comes up, it shuts down, reboots again, shuts, down, then 3rd boot, it says is installing updates at 100% and pc is very quiet right now, for 20 minutes.

Is this even going to work?

:)

sdowney717, Nov 15, 2017
  2. bobrcnut Win User

Win10 upgrade over 1 of 2 manufacturer-installed Win7's

Since Win10 will apparently be 'upgrade only' and not clean-installable, can I do it like this:

-- Repartition the existing hard drive

-- Install Win7 in a new partition from my factory recovery disks, so that I end up with two independent bootable Win7's

-- Install the Win10 upgrade over one of the 2 Win7's

The goal here is to allow for a staged migration of existing programs and data from Win7 to Win10, rather than the 'all or nothing' approach being forced by a lack of a Win10 ISO.

bobrcnut, Nov 15, 2017
  3. D-Tour Win User
    Product Key not accepted for windows 10 (was upgraded from windows 7)

I've had an issue(no start menu, no pictures, no access to settings) with the install of WIN10 on a lenovo laptop. (Upgraded from Win7 when the free offer came out). This was just accepted at the time

The Hard drive died and I installed Win10 from an ISO on a USB stick with a new hard drive installed. Will not accept the windows key. A friend of mine had the same issue with an Acer.

Is there a way to sort this out or will I have to deal with the non genuine windows warning?

D-Tour, Nov 15, 2017
  4. will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?

ok it finally came up so it can. subsequent boots are normal speed.

sdowney717, Nov 15, 2017
Thema:

will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?

1. will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it? - Similar Threads - win10 accept separate

2. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question: I have an old PC running Win7 that cannot be upgraded to 10 because of the BIOS not supporting Win10.I have purchased another PC with Win10 installed, so the new PC BIOS is Win10 compatible.I'd like to be able to avoid having to reinstall all the software that I have on my...
  3. Is there any way to get Win10 to see a hard drive from Win7?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there any way to get Win10 to see a hard drive from Win7?: I have a 3TB hard disk that was my archive drive for all the video and audio media files on my Media-Centre PC which is a Win7 OS When I installed it as an internal drive on my current machine it is connected in the BIOS but Win10 OS it does not show in File Explorer, Disk...
  4. Separate Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Separate Hard Drive: My C Drive only has 100Gb free. Will I be able to install Microsoft Flight Sim data on the E drive where I have lots of space? Bryan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/separate-hard-drive/a74a3df4-ef72-402b-95d5-6813869a431f
  5. Hard drive with Win10 keeps crashing to hard drive with Win7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive with Win10 keeps crashing to hard drive with Win7: Hello, I'm not sure if this is even a Windows issue but I thought I'd try to see if maybe anyone can shed some insight as to what the heck is going on with my computer! I have a HDD with Win7 installed and as a partition from way back when. I've since gotten a SSD with...
  6. Reinstall Win10 from Win7. New hard drive; microsoft won't accept Win7 key

Reinstall Win10 from Win7. New hard drive; microsoft won't accept Win7 key: Trying to reload Windows 10 Pro on machine with new hard drive but same MOBO. Win10 originally loaded via free upgrade from valid Win7 product key. Using MediaCreationTool1909.exe to download/load reload but I get an 'invalid' response after entering original Win7...
  7. Installing Win10 on a separate hard disk

Installing Win10 on a separate hard disk: So i had to replace my hard drive in my laptop and i'm trying to install Win10 onto the replacement hard drive. I've tried using windows creation tool onto a usb device but when i plugged it into the laptop it didn't boot from the USB drive and i was prompted to install an...
  8. OS on separate hard drive.

OS on separate hard drive.: I want to have my Windows 10 PRO on a separate hard drive from everything on my PC. This would make it easy to organize my PC and I would never have to reinstall the OS again. The only problem I have is that some of the software and apps that I've installed on other hard...
  9. EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives

EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives: Hi - I am thinking about transitioning from Win7 to Win10. I have been running Win7x64 for a very long time on my main PC. I have done a lot of installs over the years along with low level customizations. To me, it probably would be best to do a clean install of Win10 on a...
  10. Install win10 pro on separate drive from win7 pro

Install win10 pro on separate drive from win7 pro: I have a Dell workstation (xeon mpu) with dual 1 TB HDDs... Win 7 pro is installed on one drive, and the other is blank, newly formated... I want to be able to boot off either drive... the win 7 HDD, or off the Win 10 HDD. I realize I may have to deal with BIOS boot sequence...