Windows 10: Will Win10 upgrade install follow Win7 redirects?

Discus and support Will Win10 upgrade install follow Win7 redirects? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've received conflicting info on this point, so I thought I would ask the experts here: Will the Windows 10 "free" upgrade follow any redirects I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RiverCityTen, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Will Win10 upgrade install follow Win7 redirects?

I've received conflicting info on this point, so I thought I would ask the experts here:
    Will the Windows 10 "free" upgrade follow any redirects I have added to my Win7 Home Premium installation?

When I installed Win7 on my 250GB SSD, I used an XML script to relocate the Profiles Directory and Program Data folders from my SSD to my hard drive. This saved space on the SSD and simplified future program installs, since they followed these redirections. However, I am concerned that the Win10 upgrade may not do so. Thoughts?

On a related note, I also use OneDrive for multiple users -- a different login for each Windows user account. I understand that Win10 is tightly integrated with OneDrive, but is limited to accessing one login.
    Must I use just a single OneDrive login across the entire machine (i.e., all Windows user accounts)? Or does each account get to login to its own storage on OneDrive?

Thanks, in advance, for any enlightenment.

:)

RiverCityTen, Jul 22, 2016

2. WINDOWS 10 PRODUCT KEY

I successfully upgraded to Win10 from win7 and activated Win10 online. My win7 product key was valid and activated. The upgrade process did not ask for a product key. The clean install did.

If in the future I replace my hard drive, I have the following questions:

1. Would I need a Win10 product key?

2. Could I use my valid Win7 product key since I upgraded to Win10?

3. If not. how can I obtain a valid Win10 key?

4. In general, What is the procedure for users who upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and wants to do a clean install in the future.?

Win 10 User, Jul 22, 2016
  3. XEROX PHASER 6200N

Hi, Xerox has not released a WIn10 (or even Win 8) driver for the Phaser 6200. I tried to install their Win7 driver, but it went into an infinite loop of requesting that the driver be loaded.

I have an older PC that I upgraded from Win7 to Win10. The old Win7 driver still works. So I figure that there must be a way to install the Win7 printer driver on my new Win10 system -- any ideas? I didn't see a compatibility mode selection when I followed
    your procedure above.

Thanks, Larry

LarrySeiler, Jul 22, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Will Win10 upgrade install follow Win7 redirects?

Hi and welcome to Tenforums.

I have sometimes seen in the past, problems with relocated user directories. You can try the upgrade, and if it fails, set the pointers back to default (you don't have to actually move the data).

Each user account can have an MS login. Or, you can have local accounts, and only sign into MS apps as required. That's what I do.

Since you have a W7 machine, you might want to read this post:

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Page 16 - Windows 10 Forums

Good luck. *Smile

simrick, Jul 22, 2016
  5. Thanks for the speedy response and awesome guide (link). That's exactly what I needed!

I was leaning toward the second scenario in that guide -- doing a clean install on a bare drive and reinstalling all programs -- but I may have to do the upgrade in place to get it done before the 29th. *Redface

Just to clarify:
    There's no way to have different user accounts on the local Win machine access different OneDrive logins? That's my current setup, and it works great for the [ahem] less savvy users in the family. I don't know if they could handle another login each time they start up.

Thanks again for the quick reply and thorough upgrade guide!

6. simrick Win User
    Yes, you can login with local accounts, then setup OneDrive in each account, entering their MS login credentials. You may find that every once and a while MS will want them to verify their credentials, but it's no big deal. *Smile Either way, upgrade or clean install, (both take about the same amount of time, but the prep work for an upgrade takes a while), the system will get the activation and you won't be rushed to get programs installed if you do the clean install. You could throw a bare drive in, install clean and use the W7 key to activate it, then take your time installing all your programs.

simrick, Jul 22, 2016
  7. If I am reading you correctly, I think I like the idea: Activate Win10 on the system with a new drive, then fall back to the old Win7 system drive for day-to-day production work, until I get the programs moved over to the new setup.

Right??

8. simrick Win User

That would work. *Wink

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Will Win10 upgrade install follow Win7 redirects? - Similar Threads - Win10 upgrade install

2. Comparing Win10 installation to Win7?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Comparing Win10 installation to Win7?: Getting ready to clean install Win10 Pro 64-bit on a newly built desktop PC (with external USB DVD) using the downloaded ISO for the newest build. (I also have a purchased install disk and license, but not sure which build it is.) I've installed Win7 numerous times (on other...
  3. upgrade problems from win7 to win10

upgrade problems from win7 to win10: Hi, Having some issues upgrading a windows 7 system to windows 10. Ran the MS upgrade using mediacreationtool1909.exe on an older AMD processor (Athlon II X2 250 3.00ghz 32 bit) and the supporting motherboard, no other devices. It ran for awhile and then failed with this...
  4. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  5. Retrying win10 upgrade from win7

Retrying win10 upgrade from win7: I accidently downloaded and tried to install the 32 bit version. My system is 64 bit. The download/install goes through the steps until it gets to 27%. I've tried three times It stops the install and resets the system back to win7. The error code is "0x8007005-0x2000A...
  6. Upgrade win7 to win10,

Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  7. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  8. Dual install - WIN10 and WIN7

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dual install - WIN10 and WIN7: I did a dual install with win10 and win7 - after installation of win10 went and ran win7 and nearly all my executable icons had a security shield on them. I wanted to keep my win7 install with all my stuff on - just me. *Wink Why did win10 do this and how do I remove them?...
  9. Migrated Win7 to SSD will not upgrade to Win10

Migrated Win7 to SSD will not upgrade to Win10: Using an Asus CM8730 desktop with Win7. Purchased a Samsung Evo 850 SSD and used Samsung Migration software to move Win7 to the SSD from the HD that came from the computer. All went well, the computer boots very fast from the SSD. After about a month of use I decided to...
  10. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716