Windows 10: Will Windows 10 Activate If I Replace Hard Drive With New One?

Discus and support Will Windows 10 Activate If I Replace Hard Drive With New One? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I have an activated copy of Windows 10 running on my system. I am thinking of replacing my old HHD with a new SSD. I would want to do a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SeanFilidis, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Will Windows 10 Activate If I Replace Hard Drive With New One?

Hi,

I have an activated copy of Windows 10 running on my system. I am thinking of replacing my old HHD with a new SSD. I would want to do a clean install of Windows 10. My question is if Windows 10 will activate. Will it know its the same computer after I've replaced the disk drive?

Thanks.

:)

SeanFilidis, Jan 29, 2016
  2. anngetty Win User

crashe hard drive

my windows vista hard drive crashe I replace a new hard drive in computer, can I put windows 10 on new hard drive, system has 64 bits

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category (from
    Windows | Windows Vista | Download, install, & activate
    to Windows | Windows 10 | Download, install, & activate | PC).**

anngetty, Jan 29, 2016
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Will I be able to reuse the same windows 10 activation key twice?

After you get your new Windows 10 and get it installed using the key your computer is activated. You can replace the hard drive and not loose activation. When you install on the new hard drive you will not need a key.

lacrumb, Jan 29, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Will Windows 10 Activate If I Replace Hard Drive With New One?

Hi there

Usually always. I've never had a problem with windows activation after replacing a HDD. Take backup image from old HDD and restore to new one. Simple - as easy as that.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 29, 2016
  5. Hello Sean,
    Windows 10 uses digital entitlement method for activation where Your Hardware ID+Product key is stored on MS Activation servers.As soon as you install a hardware, the ID might change and your copy might be unactivated.Then you have to use Telephone activation to activate your copy.Chances are less that it should be inactivated, but you always have the option of offline activation *Smile
    More details here:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/w...-in-windows-10

Sumit Dhiman, Jan 29, 2016
  6. Superfly Win User
    Yup, but there are hardware tolerances built-in - such that motherboard has the highest weighting, then CPU, GPU, RAM, H/SDD etc...

The former will in most cases use up the tolerance completely (although there have been instances where like-for-like replacement did not) but a combination of these 'weightings' may well. The actual weighting of each component has long been a closely kept secret tho'

Superfly, Jan 29, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    I expect you will be fine. Two weeks ago I had Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 8.1 activated on the HDD in my Dell laptop but with some niggling problems. I installed a new SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10 (latest build). The first thing I did on logging on for the first time was to check the activation and it was already activated! *Smile

You might want to keep the old Windows 10 installation on the HDD for a while. I've bought a USB 3.0 disk caddy for mine to use it as an external drive.

Steve C, Jan 29, 2016
  8. rchris Win User

I've done clean installs on new SSDs installed in two different laptops recently. No problems...activation was very quick. When you do the clean install, click the option for "I don't have a Product Key," or it may give you a "skip for now" option.

rchris, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Will Windows 10 Activate If I Replace Hard Drive With New One? - Similar Threads - Activate Replace Hard

2. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  3. Activating Windows 10 Home on a new Hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 Home on a new Hard drive: I installed a new hard drive. Now my windows 10 Home will not activate. According to my old drive "Windows 10 Home is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account." With the new Hard Drive I get the following message: "We found a Windows 10 digital...
  4. Replacing a new hard drive on a slow laptop?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Replacing a new hard drive on a slow laptop?: Hello! I have my old laptop Lenovo Y50 non touch since 2015. In the last few years it has really become very slow, especially at the start. At startup it also likes to switch from the lock screen to the password prompt until you can finally write something in. It's...
  5. Getting new hard drive replaced.

Getting new hard drive replaced.: Something bad happened to my laptop, and I took it to a local engineer, he told me that hard drive needs to be replaced with a new one. My laptop had windows 8 pre installed when I bought it, and I had upgraded it to windows 10 using the official way, thus it had activated...
  6. Activation after replacing hard drive

Activation after replacing hard drive: Hi! I will be replacing my faulty hard drive with an SSD next week. I am concerned about how reactivation works for this. Is it automatic/free? I have an HP laptop with OEM activation. I have reinstalled Windows before, but never a clean installation on a brand new drive....
  7. Windows activation after hard drive replacement

Windows activation after hard drive replacement: Hello, I had to replace a faulty hard drive on my HP laptop that was shipped with OEM windows 8 home version which was later upgraded to windows 10. After reinstalling the windows home, it is now asking to activate windows fails to get activated automatically. I am able to...
  8. Replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing hard drive: Hey guys! So recently my hard drive crashed and I can not get into my computer. My question is if I get a new hard drive, looking at a portable option for 50 bucks, how do I install Windows 10 on this new drive. I have never done this before and all help is appreciated!...
  9. activate windows 10 after hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    activate windows 10 after hard drive replacement: How do I activate Windows 10 after replacing my hard drive. I tried windows key and X as suggested and find "no administrative" space to fill in. I have my old windows xp disc with a number on it....
  10. Installing New Hard Drive To Replace one under warranty

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installing New Hard Drive To Replace one under warranty: Recently I replaced a hard drive under warranty. 2GB WD. I received in it in the mail, hooked it up with a sata to USB cable to copy everything off the bad drive before I installed the new one. I formatted it, and created a (GPT Protective Partition) Upon completion of the...