Windows 10: Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install?

Discus and support Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Guys A few questions.... Could someone please clarify, Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install? If so how/where? If not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ancient, Jul 28, 2015.

1. ancient Win User

Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install?

Hi Guys

A few questions....
    Could someone please clarify, Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install?
    If so how/where?
    If not when performing a clean install, will skipping the product key prompt, then activating once desktop appears automatically activate and inject a product key?
    Lastly rather than extract the esd file, does anyone know where to get a genuine Microsoft iso's on release date?

Any help appreciated.

Kind Regards

:)

ancient, Jul 28, 2015
  2. Yanxi Win User

Windows 10 product key for a clean install

Hi there,

I tried to take advantage of the free update from win 8.1 however my tablet freezes after the upgrade, and if I turn it off and on again it rolls back to win 8.1 and stated some sort of error. As a result I decide to clean install win 10. I used the tool
    to create the installation usb stick for windows 10 home Chinese language version as the version of my win 8.1 is win 8.1 with bing (Chinese). However, now even though there is no error any more and the system works like a charm, I can not get activated and
    the system prompts the product key is invalid ( I skipped all the requests to input product key during the installation process so no product key has been entered by me). Now what should I do to get it activated again?

Yanxi, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Windows 10 product key for a clean install

Similar problem. I have a Sony Vaio Multiflip with preinstalled Windows 8.1SL and did a clean install of Windows 10. I got the product key read from BIOS but appears to be useless since Windows 10 could not recognize either BIOS product key or the key I
    typed in (read from BIOS previously).

I erased recovery partition on the laptop to save space too.

If MS could enable upgrade/clean install ISO that can read product key right from BIOS then it would be wonderful.

Nhat HuyLuu, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install?

You can't do a clean install without a key -- and the keys provided in the past were generic keys -- for the Insider program.

Those keys have all been disabled by MS. New keys will be made available when the Insider program is turned on again, presumably, after the 29th.

In the past, the keys were displayed on the MS Download page; that is likely to be what they will be doing again in the future.

It's unlikely you will be able to skip the product key prompt, as MS stopped providing the 30-day grace period a long time ago.

Mark Phelps, Jul 28, 2015
  5. Akane Win User
    That mean we can't do the clean install in this free windows 10 upgrade without buying new once ? *Sad

Akane, Jul 28, 2015
  6. wase4711 Win User
    its not even the 29th yet, so how is anyone supposed to answer that question?
    Jeeshh...

wase4711, Jul 28, 2015
  7. skcusime Win User
    Got my Install.esd file from C:\$Windows.~BT Sources subfolder and created an ISO file from it. I installed it on a new partition. It asked (in 2 areas) for a product key, and I tried my Win8 key, but it failed. Installed without a key (you can skip if you read the fine print) and now it says it's activated, although I didn't specifically activate it. I checked in the registry and found a product key exists, but it's a new one to me!
    I'm in Australia so I got the download 4 hours ago.

skcusime, Jul 28, 2015
  8. Phone Man Win User

Phone Man, Jul 28, 2015
  9. Netrum Win User
    I have just now installed Win 10 clean install.
    Pro version if it matters.
    And apart from some hicups that i got sorted everything went smooth.
    When it comes to the windows 10 instalation key. You do not need one.
    When i loged in with my microsoft account, windows activated.
    So the key is with your microsoft account. *Smile

Netrum, Jul 28, 2015
  10. ancient Win User
    Hey Guys

Thanks for the replies....looks like it was as I guessed.

Makes sense

Thank you.

ancient, Jul 28, 2015
  11. lightmeup Win User
    For RTM activating, This is what I found:
    First, do the upgrade with min efforts. After upgrade is done and activated, then do the reinstall. this is just for the sake of MS having the record of your PC (hardware id) on the win 10 activation database.

Second, For reinstall, no product key is needed, once connected to internet, your Windows 10 will be activated regardless if you are signing into Microsoft account or not. one laptop using ms account and another laptop using local account only, i see the same behaviour of how win10 was activated. when you use Aida tool to see the product key, it will be a generic key assigned to your Win10. and you can not enter that key if you plan do the reinstall on the same machine again. the OS will do that for u.

so, the conclusion is, once you have activated the Win10 on the same hardware, the hardware ID is send to MS, and in the future, that hd id is used to determine if you can be activated or not.

lightmeup, Jul 28, 2015
  12. vgchat Win User
    For short term, using the hardware as Unique Identifier is ok. For long term, it's going to fall flat on it's face as people upgrade their rigs with new hdds/gpus/mobos/cpus etc. I believe that the windows key is more than likely tied to the MS account and when someone logs in to W10, it verifies/updates the hardware ID accordingly as a second verification measure.

vgchat, Jul 28, 2015
  13. lightmeup Win User

Pls try clean install with local account only, i.e. no ms account, and you will see your Win10 is activated automatically. So I may can say that it has nothing to do with the ms account.

I don't like this auto activate thing, some day later, I need to proof that I had a working key in case I can not activate the windows, I can NOT. and MS can just reject my request to activate over the phone or something else I don't know.

the solution i have right now is do to a acronis image after the clean install. rollback to that image in case reinstall is required in the future.

lightmeup, Jul 28, 2015
  14. vgchat Win User
    I'm not denying that it will auto activate so long as you haven't swapped any hardware. Have you tried it after adding/removing/replacing a piece?

vgchat, Jul 28, 2015
  15. lightmeup Win User
    nop, I am too lazy to touch my hardware... I tied up all the cables, too much efforts to swap anything there... *Smile

lightmeup, Jul 28, 2015
Thema:

1. Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install? - Similar Threads - update provide product

2. Clean Install of Windows - Change Product Key Access Denied

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install of Windows - Change Product Key Access Denied: Hello all, my old system was such a mess with multiple office version and windows insider builds causing me all kinds of headaches. I recently performed a clean install of windows 10 pro and as I setup my user account and proceeded to log into my windows account...
  3. Clean install of Windows 10 - Product Key wont work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install of Windows 10 - Product Key wont work: Hello, I recently built a new PC. My previous version of Windows 10 was installed on my old sata hdd. I upgraded to a new SSD hd and upgraded my motherboard. I ran the install of windows 10 onto my new SSD hd and reformatted my old sata for backup files. When I entered my...
  4. Windows 10 product key not working after clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 product key not working after clean install: I installed windows 10 on top of Windows 7, but then did a clean install afterwards from an image on a USB drive. I wrote down the product key from the first install after scraping it with a program. The clean install of 10 went fine, but it will not accept this product...
  5. Which product key is needed for clean install of windows

Which product key is needed for clean install of windows: Hello, I'm in the process of backing up data and product keys for a fresh install of Windows. Upon digging on google for how to find your windows product key, I found several ways to find it. My HP has a COA sticker with a Windows 7 product key. I also used Produkey, which...
  6. Windows 10 clean install no key!

Windows 10 clean install no key!: I experienced a problem with my new PC loaded with Windows 7 Home edition. Some major files were corrupted so I tried to reload it with the disc, but it was in German and it lost me. So I downloaded Windows 10 Home (single language) from Microsoft thinking that my key would...
  7. Need Windows 8.1 product key after clean install Windows 10

Need Windows 8.1 product key after clean install Windows 10: I have a Lenovo S21E-20. I purchased machine new, it came with 8.1 loaded and as soon as it was turned on it said "free upgrade to Windows 10 available". Due to small SSD memory, could not simply upgrade from installed to Windows 10. I used a clean install using a USB. After...
  8. Product Key on Clean Install

Product Key on Clean Install: After I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, I did a clean install. Seems like everything is fine, except I had to enter the Product Key to finish the installation. The clean install is activated. I understood from what I have been reading here that once I did the free...
  9. Cannot view product key on clean install

Cannot view product key on clean install: Ok, the more I read the more confused I get. Here's my problem: Have a computer with OEM Windows 7, been on there a few years. It's becoming somewhat goofy and decided to do a clean install of Windows 10. So, bought an OEM cd of 10 from Amazon ( home version). Came today....
  10. Will microsoft also provide a product key for windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will microsoft also provide a product key for windows 10?: I'm worried that I may have to reinstall after the 1 year period and have to pay. 6605