Windows 10: Will Windows 10 updates annoy me as much as in Windows 8.1?

Discus and support Will Windows 10 updates annoy me as much as in Windows 8.1? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; One of the reasons I always have a bootable Linux installation on my Windows machines is that I sometimes need to do something now, and not when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Fafhrd, May 19, 2015.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Will Windows 10 updates annoy me as much as in Windows 8.1?

One of the reasons I always have a bootable Linux installation on my Windows machines is that I sometimes need to do something now, and not when Windows has faffed about "Getting Windows Ready..." for 3 minutes or more on a boot-up following some update or other.

In fact one of the most annoying Windows features for me, is the inability to update in the background, without having to reboot. I guess it is due to the redundant failsafe mechanisms in the registry and catalogs etc., that have helped make Windows 8.x so stable now compared to earlier versions.

I would welcome a Windows that dispensed with these overblown antiquities in favour of a more elegant systems integrity database, and an update method that was totally transparent to users, and did not interfere with me using my computer when I need to.

:)

Fafhrd, May 19, 2015

2. Windows 10 will not log me in as other user

on screen it shows other user and will not log me in and when I put actual name password it is asking smart card what I never had. keyboard freeze and will not let me work administrator or anything else,

ssharma911, May 19, 2015
  3. Windows 10 will not log me in as other user

Hi Sharma,

Occasionally, Windows might not read your user profile correctly, such as if your antivirus software is scanning your computer while you try to log on.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Is the new User Account a Local or Microsoft Account?
    • What happens when you try to log in? Is there any error message?
    • Do you see your user account listed on the log in screen?
    [*]Try restarting your computer and logging on with your user account again to resolve the issue. If you restart your computer and it does not resolve this issue,
    I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode and check
    if you’re able to login using your Microsoft account. In Safe Mode computer starts
    with minimal set of drivers and files.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If you’re not able to login using Microsoft account then Activate Inbuilt Administrator Account and check if it helps.

• Click on power button at left bottom corner, press and hold
      Shift key and click on Restart.
    • Click on Troubleshoot.
    • Click on Advanced options.
    • Click on Command Prompt and enter following command.
    net user Administrator /active:yes

Now reboot your system and login to inbuilt admin account and try to reset password for other account. Once you reset password login to other account and to deactivate inbuilt admin account enter following command in elevated command prompt.

net user Administrator /active:no

Write to us with the status of the login issues experienced on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Nachappa C K, May 19, 2015
  4. swarfega Win User

I have no issue with waiting for Windows Update to do it's thing.

You don't need to do the download as soon as it comes through. If its not convenient then just leave it until later when you'r able to do it.

I've not heard of Windows requiring you to reboot on a wallpaper change, that is a strange one.

swarfega, May 19, 2015
  5. Would it be possible to fully upgrade in the background without a restart?

How would it update files that are in use, doesn't it need to restart to change these ?

paulsalter, May 19, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    The majority of the problem for requiring reboots is that Windows does not allow in-use files to be replaced as a security measure. This is something that Linux does not do (although it can be enabled if you are concerned about it).

This is just a difference in opinion about the design of the filesystem. And how it affects security and stability of the system.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Will Windows 10 updates annoy me as much as in Windows 8.1? - Similar Threads - updates annoy much

2. how much does it cost to upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how much does it cost to upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10: need to know the cost to upgrade to windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-much-does-it-cost-to-upgrade-from-windows-8-to/2b84ebe0-6b14-410f-a7bd-ab767d7cc4fd
  3. how much does it cost to upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how much does it cost to upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10: need to know the cost to upgrade to windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-much-does-it-cost-to-upgrade-from-windows-8-to/2b84ebe0-6b14-410f-a7bd-ab767d7cc4fd
  4. how much does it cost to upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Search in Windows 10 annoys me now.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Search in Windows 10 annoys me now.: Whenever I open search there's a black cover like thingy on top of it and when I click it disappears. I tried running sfc /scannow in Command prompt and it showed no errors but the problem is not fixed. I also tried deleting the temp and %temp% files but it didn't work...
  6. Snap on windows 10 annoys me to no end

in Windows 10 Customization
    Snap on windows 10 annoys me to no end: So I switched to Windows 10 today I know, I am very late to the party, I really liked Windows 8.1, but more and more stuff requires 10. I was very sad to figure out that snap is a thing. So I turned that off. Now it turns out, I can't drag fullscreen applications anymore....
  7. Windows 8 update to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 8 update to 10: Can I update Windows 8 to 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-8-update-to-10/0afecfe1-cac3-42fe-8520-813856a3e928
  8. Font color much brighter in Windows 8

in Windows 10 Support
    Font color much brighter in Windows 8: The font color in the Windows 8 command prompt is much brighter than in Windows 10. Is there a way to make the font color from Windows 10 like in Windows 8? Windows 8: [img] Windows10: [img] 112908
  9. why is windows 10 giving me windows 8 updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    why is windows 10 giving me windows 8 updates?: i upgraded to 10 from windows 7, but i recently got some windows 8/8.1 updates for the malicious software removal tool. anyone have some idea as to why? thank you in advance... 50020
  10. Windows 10 has a much lower volume than 7/8

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 has a much lower volume than 7/8: Hi everyone. My max (100) volume on Windows 10 is about 40% of what it used to be on previous windows. I can barely hear anything on YouTube. I found about 5-6 topics on google discussing this, but none of the solutions worked. I've tried reinstalling the driver, tried...