Windows 10: Will Windows Defender Antivirus provide suitable amount of protection

Discus and support Will Windows Defender Antivirus provide suitable amount of protection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I currently use McAfee as my Anti Virus/Spyware/Malware etc. my question is: Will Windows Defender Antivirus provide a suitable amount of protection,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jimmyb, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Jimmyb Win User

Will Windows Defender Antivirus provide suitable amount of protection

I currently use McAfee as my Anti Virus/Spyware/Malware etc. my question is:
    Will Windows Defender Antivirus provide a suitable amount of protection, consistent with McAfee, and can I do away with my McAfee subscription.

:)

Jimmyb, Nov 28, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Microsoft Spyware

I'm going to guess that "Microsoft Spyware" means Windows Defender, which is an antivirus program that comes with Windows 10.

Windows Defender provides a very basic amount of protection. You should definitely install a third-party antivirus program.

Everyone has their own opinion about which antivirus program is best. Do some research on your own and make a choice that's right for you.

Even if you're not technically savvy, you must learn how to protect yourself on the internet.

Make sure that whatever program you choose is compatible with Windows 10.

BulldogXX, Nov 28, 2017
  3. Is Windows Defender a suitable antivirus?

Windows Defender is good as any other Anti-Virus program. Which Anti-Virus program you want to use, you have to decide for yourself.

Windows Defender is and will stay a free, non-paid program.

I suggest to take the time to read the following articles:

How to Use the Built-in Windows Defender Antivirus on Windows 10

Configure Windows Defender in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10

What’s the Best Antivirus for Windows 10? (Is Windows Defender Good Enough?)

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

Answers to common security questions - Best Practices

Cheers,

J

Jsssssssss, Nov 28, 2017
  4. Will Windows Defender Antivirus provide suitable amount of protection

If you like McAfee, but want to ditch the subscription, you can use McAfee® Cloud AV for free.
    You will still be using SmartScreen, basically sort of Windows Defender's cloud protection.

TairikuOkami, Nov 28, 2017
  5. MrHudson Win User
    Doesn't matter if you pay or its free, browsing is like finding a woman, you take your chance on getting something you didn't want.
    I use MSE for my Win 7 laptop, since I started using it I never got any virus or tracking cookies. Defenders suppose to be like MSE.

MrHudson, Nov 29, 2017
  6. Jimmyb Win User
    @TairikuOkami; never heard of this, however i will check it out many thanks.
    @MrHudson; again, thanks, I use MSE on my win 7 duel partition, though it doesn't come out very often.

Jimmyb, Nov 30, 2017
  7. Plankton Win User
    Nothing really to add....just a comment on MSE or more accurately it's predecessor.....OnceCare. Who remembers that??????? It's was a paid AV back in the day.

Plankton, Nov 30, 2017
  8. Will Windows Defender Antivirus provide suitable amount of protection

@Plankton Remembers Onecare very well, was one of the beta testers of OneCare, Killed my very first AMD system badly then, took advice of a friend in a chat program to try some virus samples with it, well lets just say didn't block any, boot sector virus, and who knows what else.

Had to get a new motherboard, hard drive, memory, cpu and all

Currently using Avast on majorly of systems in household, except insider build Desktop with Defender

AMDMan2016, Nov 30, 2017
  9. MrHudson Win User
    I had Norton on the Win 7 laptop, Norton worked fine the first year, renewed, then it got to like every 3 months laptop started slowing down, run scan after scan, nothing found, used Norton's virus removal tool, it would remove Norton, then install a newer version of Norton that cost more. when it got to where I would pay $100, I dumped Norton.

MrHudson, Nov 30, 2017
  10. Hi,
    Anything is better than Norton *Smile
    Except maybe any IOBit product that is which are pure s***

ThrashZone, Nov 30, 2017
  11. MrHudson Win User
    I don't actually use the Advanced System Care from Iobit, I use their Performance Monitor.

Will Windows Defender Antivirus provide suitable amount of protection [​IMG]

The CPU % lets me know when its through doing it system checks and such, when the % hovers around 0% to 10%, I know its through doing what ever it was.

MrHudson, Nov 30, 2017
  12. MrHudson Win User
    Iobits Driver Booster helped out, updated the RTL 8188EE, I later used Driver Easy, it said 5 drivers were out of date, only 1 of the 5 installed and that was for the RTL 8188EE. Graphics, Realtek HD Audio, Intel Thermal Dynamics and Network Frame Participant, and forget the other, windows came up saying the best driver is already installed for them.

MrHudson, Nov 30, 2017
  13. Plankton Win User

As mentioned a thousand times before, using these so called driver updater programs is bad juju. 99% of the time they tend to do more harm then good by installing drivers not needed. Although there are those that never have an issue using them. The best practice it do download the the driver(s) from; if an OEM from their support webpage, custom build from the mobo's support page or the hardware's support webpage. This way the known drivers from their respective webpages have been tested to comply (work) with said hardware.

Plankton, Nov 30, 2017
  14. Barman58 Win User
    some of Iobit's code is fine, that's the stuff they steal from other products like Malwarebytes *Mad

Barman58, Nov 30, 2017
  15. MrHudson Win User
    I was having issue with WiFI, showed being connected all the time, when I was downloading, it would download, stop, download, stop, it did that where the time for downloading would rise to 6hrs. A few times downloads failed with message of not connected to internet when the WiFI icon showed it was connected. Windows update installed driver for the RTL 8188EE, it would connect but no internet access. rolled back. Iobits Driver booster, installed driver dated 6-14-2017 which worked better than the latter two. Driver Easy downloaded newer driver, dated 11-4-2017. my downloads are under 2 minutes.
    Have a bar and grill, 3/10ths of mile away here, I can connect to their guest internet at a 15% signal. those other drivers wouldn't allow me to connect to it.
    I am using my sisters internet, she about 3/10ths a mile away, signal is 20% and very stable. a 20% signal and downloads under 2 minutes, those driver updaters helped me out.

MrHudson, Nov 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Will Windows Defender Antivirus provide suitable amount of protection - Similar Threads - Defender Antivirus provide

2. Microsoft Defender Antivirus - Tamper Protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender Antivirus - Tamper Protection: We use Windows 11 with Microsoft Defender Antivirus and tamper protection enabled. During a penetest we found out, that Microsoft Defender Antivirus can be easily disabled by installing a third Party antivirus solution, even tamper protection is enabled. Of course, local...
  3. Microsoft Defender Antivirus - Tamper Protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Defender Antivirus - Tamper Protection: We use Windows 11 with Microsoft Defender Antivirus and tamper protection enabled. During a penetest we found out, that Microsoft Defender Antivirus can be easily disabled by installing a third Party antivirus solution, even tamper protection is enabled. Of course, local...
  4. Change Antivirus Provider Back to Windows Antivirus Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Change Antivirus Provider Back to Windows Antivirus Defender: How do I change the current antivirus provider back to Windows AntiVirus Defender? There is some up and down arrows but nothing happens.It is currently saying:-Malwarebytes is turned on.Windows Antivirus Defender is turned off....
  5. Change Antivirus Provider Back to Windows Antivirus Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Antivirus Provider Back to Windows Antivirus Defender: How do I change the current antivirus provider back to Windows AntiVirus Defender? There is some up and down arrows but nothing happens.It is currently saying:-Malwarebytes is turned on.Windows Antivirus Defender is turned off....
  6. Change Antivirus Provider Back to Windows Antivirus Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. McAfee vs Defender Antivirus protection

McAfee vs Defender Antivirus protection: I bought a new computer that comes with McAfee VirusScan and Firewall already installed. By this being installed, the Windows Defender Antivirus and Firewall are turned off. The McAfee software is for 30 days trial. My questionIs Microsoft Window Defender software as good as...
  8. Antivirus - No Provider

Antivirus - No Provider: I can't open any protection for my pc, I don't have a security provider in my Windows Defender. Please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/antivirus-no-provider/f074ae8a-875e-429e-90e5-7e432f73485b
  9. How to turn on window defender antivirus protection

How to turn on window defender antivirus protection: Hi there, I was trying to turn on the window defender antivirus protection on window 10. I went into service under administrative too and tried to start the antivirus protection but with an error message 577 saying: "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this...
  10. Windows Defender vs other antivirus protection

Windows Defender vs other antivirus protection: My computer came with a McAfee antivirus trial subscription. Windows Defender will not run antivirus with another antivirus program running, My trial subscription has run out and I don't want to renew, but when I go to settings and check the antivirus status of Defender, it...