Windows 10: Will Windows Defender turn itself on

Discus and support Will Windows Defender turn itself on in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My laptop has Norton anti virus which expires in 2 weeks and I plan on using Windows Defender. OS is Windows 10- will Windows Defender turn on... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by toma1867, Jul 19, 2016.

1. toma1867 Win User

Will Windows Defender turn itself on

My laptop has Norton anti virus which expires in 2 weeks and I plan on using Windows Defender. OS is Windows 10- will Windows Defender turn on automatically when Norton expires or will I have to turn it on. If so how is Defender turned on.

:)

toma1867, Jul 19, 2016

2. windows defender wont turn off.

mcafee's is compatibale, it's windows defender that's turning itself on after every reboot, is there any way to turn defender off beside's settings?

stevenrego, Jul 19, 2016
  3. windows defender keeps turning off

used defender for years. suddenly in windows 10 defender turning itself off. try to turn on realtime protection times out. this just started recently. why?

MICHAELGUINN66, Jul 19, 2016
  4. f14tomcat Win User

After Norton expires, restart (reboot) the system. Defender should automatically turn on. Opening Defender (in search, type DEFENDER. App will be at top) should look like this.

Will Windows Defender turn itself on [​IMG]

If Defender is off, it will look like this. Click Turn On. You may also receive a notification banner in lower right of desktop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a side note, if Norton is set to expire in a couple of weeks (around month end), you may want to consider just disabling it now and uninstalling and setting up Defender. On 8/02/16, there is a major Windows 10 update scheduled. Just a suggestion to avoid having to deal with both at the same time. TC

f14tomcat, Jul 19, 2016
  5. inkdevil Win User
    Toma, There are alot of good anti- virus programs out there which are totally free & work great. Bit Defender has a good one,so does Comodo,I use it myself. Just Google best free anti virus programs in PC magazine & ick one you like. Windows Defender is a plague man. It just randomly grabs anything it wants & takes it; never to be seen again. Do yourself a favor & find anything other than Windows Defender cause there is nothing defensive about it just Offensive.

inkdevil, Jul 19, 2016
  6. Borg 386 Win User
    Be sure to uninstall Norton using the Norton Uninstaller to make sure it removes the program completely. When Norton expires, it will still be running in the background, giving you nag messages that your defs are out of date. It will not turn itself off all the way or uninstall itself. Do not uninstall it using the Windows uninstaller. If there are any Norton orphan files leftover, you may have problems getting Defender to run. You can d/l the uninstaller here.

Uninstall and Reinstall Norton product using the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool

L: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

Borg 386, Jul 20, 2016
  7. toma1867 Win User
    Thanks to everyone for the help

toma1867, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Will Windows Defender turn itself on - Similar Threads - Defender turn itself

2. Windows Defender closes itself

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender closes itself: Hey everyone! The other day, I was trying to download a file that one of my friends sent to me. I downloaded it, but it got instantly deleted by Windows Defender. I know that it's not a virus, so I tried to enable it in Windows Defender. the option called "allow on device"...
  3. Windows Smartscreen Defender turning itself off!?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Smartscreen Defender turning itself off!?: I don't know if i have a extreme weak memory but im pretty sure the option in app & browser control about windows smartscreen defender checking apps and files not recognized by the web was on some moments ago and from nowhere it turned itself off, so i have to go and enable...
  4. Windows defender automatically turns itself off

Windows defender automatically turns itself off: Hello, my store app crashed after updating apps and I couldn't fix it for a day, whenever i tried to re sign it using powershell it said my firewall was off, I checked to see that no matter what I did, I couldn't turn it on so I decided to reset my pc, but after a couple of...
  5. Defender turned itself off

Defender turned itself off: Split from this thread. Windows defender for windows 8.1 has turned off on my computer and I can not figure out how to turn it back on? It all started when Windows defender showed red then switched to turned off....
  6. Windows Defender keeps disabling itself?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender keeps disabling itself?: So for the past few days I’ve noticed that Windows Defender keeps disabling itself. I use an app called RKill that kills applications for a clean malware scan. I use MalwareBytes as an combo. And I have also recently reinstalled my PC and last time it didn’t have options or...
  7. Windows Defender Keeps Turning Itself Off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Defender Keeps Turning Itself Off: I have to turn Windows Defender back on every day. Can someone tell me how to fix this problem? I have Windows 10 (automatically updated) and no other virus protection software installed....
  8. Wasn't defender supposed to turn off by itself having Webroot?

Wasn't defender supposed to turn off by itself having Webroot?: I made the upgrade from 8.1 to win 10 and dabbing around with it now. I had latest version of webroot AV installed. After the transition, it seems that both defender and webroot are running at the same time. Now obviously I don't want two protection system. It'll slow crap...
  9. Windows Defender turns itself on even with other AV application on

Windows Defender turns itself on even with other AV application on: Just some background information, I was tired of Windows Defender taking up 100% disk usage at startup with Antimalware Service Executable so I installed BitDefender in its place so I could get myself set up when I start up my computer without having to wait half an hour to...
  10. Windows Defender inexplicitly turns itself off

Windows Defender inexplicitly turns itself off: Windows Defemder will intermittently fail to start after my HP laptop awakes from sleep mode. This does not occur every time. When it does occur, I get a message that Windows Defender is turned off and I need to turn it on again. When I attempt to turn it on, it eventually...