Windows 10: Will Word XP work on Windows 10?

Discus and support Will Word XP work on Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've read threads here saying it won't work at all, and threads saying it works with no problem. Some people who say it works have trouble with getting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kelliann, Jan 12, 2017.

1. kelliann Win User

Will Word XP work on Windows 10?

I've read threads here saying it won't work at all, and threads saying it works with no problem. Some people who say it works have trouble with getting Word docs to open from emailed links. I did too when I first tried using it with Windows 7 but there was a little program written by someone that solved that problem. I can't remember what it was, though.

Anyway, I may be forced to buy a new laptop if my HP laptop's cooling fan problem can't be resolved. So I really need to know if Word 2002/2003 (don't know which one it is) will work with Windows 10.

Thank you.

:)

kelliann, Jan 12, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

How do I search in Windows 10 for text within a document?

You need to tell us what program you use to work with documents.

For example, I use Word 2016. To search for a word or phrase I do this:

1- Open the document in Word 2016.

2- On the Home Ribbon, find the Editing group (at the right end of the ribbon.)

3- In the Editing group, click on Find or Advanced Find

4- Type your search word or phrase into the text box.

Word XP is not supported on Windows 10 and so it may not work properly. However, documents created from Word XP (ending in .doc) work perfectly well with newer document programs.

BulldogXX, Jan 12, 2017
  3. Docrowdy Win User
    Word 07 in Windows 10

New word 07 docs in windows 10 can only be saved when compatibility set to xp-3. Old word docs can only be accessed if compatibility set to windows 8. When set to xp-3 screen is a little less sharp but readable. Can't find a way to make 07 work all the
    time1

Docrowdy, Jan 12, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

Try installing it and see what happens. I recommend running the installer in XP mode - right click the installer .exe file, select properties then choose Windows XP on the compatibility tab.

If it works fine, if not then just uninstall it.

Steve C, Jan 12, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    If it doesn't work, consider setting up vmware with Windows XP installed in it so you can run Office XP there.

swarfega, Jan 12, 2017
  6. FYI. I have Word 2000 installed and running under W10. It works like a charm.

Disclaimer: YMMV - There are a few features that do not work !

storageman, Jan 12, 2017
  7. mrgeek Win User
    If you have Windows 10 installed, you can use free online Office here - Access Denied

The work will be saved in Onedrive from where you can copy to any other folder. Do not know if online version is back compatible with your version of Word which you haven't specified but probably 2003. But I have Office 2016 which the online version is based upon, and Word 2003 docs are compatible.

mrgeek, Jan 14, 2017
  8. kelliann Win User

It's Word XP which I believe is either 2002 or 2003. Went to the site you linked to and can't sign in so I'll have to work on this laster today.

kelliann, Jan 15, 2017
  9. mrgeek Win User
    "Went to the site you linked to and can't sign in "

You need your Microsoft account sign-in which will also have OneDrive linked to it. If you sign in to Windows 10 with it, you should automatically be signed in on the free Office apps page.

mrgeek, Jan 15, 2017
  10. Berton Win User
    Office XP and Office 2002 were known as the same, came out shortly after Windows XP hence the naming. In the applications of the suites click Help, should give the version number such as Office 2016 has version 16 for it's applications. Office 2013 has version 15 applications.

I've installed Office 2000 on the Insider Preview of Win10, basics work just fine but haven't needed to use more advanced features.

Berton, Jan 15, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    The official line is...
    Which versions of Office work with Windows 10? - Office Support

however, unofficially you should be fine...
    A look at running older versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

12. Berton Win User
    Here's a History of Microsoft Office gleaned from a page at Wikipedia:
    One can see from this list how different a response could be if dropping part of the suite number such as saying Word 10 instead of Word 2010.

Berton, Jan 15, 2017
  13. erpster4 Win User

any MS Office version no earlier than 2000 should work on Win10 but install the latest Service Pack for the Office software ASAP [for Office 2000 & applications, SR1 and then SP3; for Office XP & applications like Word 2002, update to SP3]. Also, install the Office Compatibility Pack to access file formats created in Office 2007 and later.

By the way, Office 2010 is the last version to support Windows XP SP3 & Vista SP1/SP2.

erpster4, Jan 16, 2017
  14. kelliann Win User
    I apologize for not getting back on this but I want to say thank you for such detailed and thorough responses. I'm sure a lot of people besides me will benefit from this. I ultimately ended up ordering an HP computer with no operating system and will install my own Windows 7 on it - which I believe then lets me upgrade to 10 when I have time to do that. I feel better about trying to use Word XP on Windows 10. I have Windows7 Pro on another laptop that I rarely use. I had installed Word 2007 on it and nearly went crazy trying to do my work efficiently with all those goofy floating toolbars that were never where I wanted. So I kept using my older computer that had Windows XP installed - until that hard drive crashed. At that point I got a newer laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium on it (again an HP) and installed Word XP. Well... didn't work quite the way I wanted so I hung out at SevenForums.com and Windows Secrets (I no longer belong because if the ridiculous fee they want), and used a lot of other information including Paul Thurrot and various geeky sites that specialized in answering questions for the less geeky (me) and eventually got Word XP to work like it used to when I was running Windows XP (including being able to click attachments in email and have Word open automatically to show the doc), But hey, that was 5 years ago and I can't remember all that I did!! But whatever I did, it took me weeks to make everything work the way I wanted. I pretty much expect the same with this new computer.
    I like Windows 10 - I've played around with it and like it pretty much. I just don't have time right now to be slowed down with my work due to new programs and new operating system. For the past week I've had to work on a borrowed Mac. Now there's frustration!!! But it's been all I have had to work with. I can use the broken laptop with an ice pack on the keyboard to prevent problems due to the broken cooling fan.... I'm using it now, but have to shut it down because I'm *using* the keyboard and can't put an ice pack on it!!

So once again, thank you and I look forward to reading anything else that might appear here. And I do hope those versions of Word that came after 2007 got rid of those awful floating toolbars and at least give the option to have them straight across the top like they were before 2007!!!

kelliann, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Will Word XP work on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Word

2. Windows Voice Access automatically capitalises first word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Voice Access automatically capitalises first word: Hi all,I'm using Windows 11. Often, Windows Voice Access automatically capitalises the first word whenever I say something especially in Word, even if it's placed mid-sentence. It's very annoying. I waste loads of time lowercasing words that shouldn't have been capitalised in...
  3. Windows Voice Access automatically capitalises first word

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Voice Access automatically capitalises first word: Hi all,I'm using Windows 11. Often, Windows Voice Access automatically capitalises the first word whenever I say something especially in Word, even if it's placed mid-sentence. It's very annoying. I waste loads of time lowercasing words that shouldn't have been capitalised in...
  4. In word document my hyperlink is not blue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In word document my hyperlink is not blue: In my word document my hyperlink all of a sudden is no longer blue. How do I get my hyperlink back to blue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-word-document-my-hyperlink-is-not-blue/5aacef2e-44a0-41e2-98c7-5be10eb01e6f
  5. In word document my hyperlink is not blue

In word document my hyperlink is not blue: In my word document my hyperlink all of a sudden is no longer blue. How do I get my hyperlink back to blue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-word-document-my-hyperlink-is-not-blue/5aacef2e-44a0-41e2-98c7-5be10eb01e6f
  6. Is there a way to show word suggestions as in Gboard for androids but on pc?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to show word suggestions as in Gboard for androids but on pc?: I would love to type on pc but since English is not my first language, there are some words where i i can only type the beginning of and Gboard does the rest. Is there a settings, an app somhow for pc? submitted by /u/ThrilledStoic [link] [comments]...
  7. Nepali Unicode font display reversed and made no sense in MS Word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nepali Unicode font display reversed and made no sense in MS Word: I prepared a file using Nepali Unicode in MS Word yesterday. Today, when I opened the file again, I was surprised that the words were completely reversed and made no sense. What could be the reason for this? And what is the solution to this problem?...
  8. Nepali Unicode font display reversed and made no sense in MS Word

Nepali Unicode font display reversed and made no sense in MS Word: I prepared a file using Nepali Unicode in MS Word yesterday. Today, when I opened the file again, I was surprised that the words were completely reversed and made no sense. What could be the reason for this? And what is the solution to this problem?...
  9. How can I replace numbers with document names in Word?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I replace numbers with document names in Word?: My document have numbers instead of my file names. I want to replace the numbers with my file names. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-replace-numbers-with-document-names-in/5db0b361-f567-47bd-a1d4-677d2a1eeb81
  10. How can I replace numbers with document names in Word?

How can I replace numbers with document names in Word?: My document have numbers instead of my file names. I want to replace the numbers with my file names. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-replace-numbers-with-document-names-in/5db0b361-f567-47bd-a1d4-677d2a1eeb81