Windows 10: Will you be able to play dvds using VLC when upgrading to W10....?

Discus and support Will you be able to play dvds using VLC when upgrading to W10....? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Will you be able to play dvds using VLC when upgrading to W10 release or will it only allow unencrypted dvds to be played? I know Microsoft will remove... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by groze, Jun 9, 2015.

1. groze Win User

Will you be able to play dvds using VLC when upgrading to W10....?

Will you be able to play dvds using VLC when upgrading to W10 release or will it only allow unencrypted dvds to be played? I know Microsoft will remove dvd player feature for windows media player.

Sorry, if I asked before.

:)

groze, Jun 9, 2015
  2. Erdeslawe Win User

will I be able to Play DVDs on my laptop using Windows 10 new upgrade

Don't know how the previous response was supposed to help with the question you asked, so here's a proper answer:

There is no Media Centre included in Windows 10, so you will need 3rd party software such as the OpenSource application VLC Player, which is available via the Microsoft Store.

Hope that helps.

Erdeslawe, Jun 9, 2015
  3. cmcateer2 Win User
    will I be able to Play DVDs on my laptop using Windows 10 new upgrade

I have reserved a free copy of Windows 10 but I am concerned about losing the ability to watch DVDs and burn CDs & DVDs using Windows media center.

I have read that Windows Media Center will not be available on the New windows 10, if true what is the alternative? I would like to use Window 10 but do not want to lose an important application .

Thanks

cmcateer2, Jun 9, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Not sure, but it works now so I don't see why it wouldn't work after release.

Edwin, Jun 9, 2015
  5. batlhilz Win User
    yeah you can and the dvd playing support might (will) come for the later releases / upgrades

batlhilz, Jun 10, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

It does work - however here's a nice little program if you want to stream a DVD to a remote device without all the de-cryption / regionalisation conversion.

Grab it while it's still FREEWARE.

MAKEMKV -- rips your DVD to mkv which you can play on the computer in any case and also stream to remote devices. (If you prefer mp4 then the mkv can be converted losslessly to mp4 by any program you care to name --Handbrake is as good as any for this purpose).

MakeMKV - Download

HandBrake: Downloads

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Will you be able to play dvds using VLC when upgrading to W10....? - Similar Threads - able play dvds

2. Can't play videos with W10 Media or VLC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't play videos with W10 Media or VLC: I'm looking for suggestions how to troubleshoot a video problem in W10. When I try to play mp3/4 videos with either W10 Media Player or the VLC app, videos are either choppy and stop after a few seconds, or in the case with VLC, the app just flashes. I've uninstalled/clean...
  3. VLC player freezing at times during playback on dvds and mutes at times when playing music

VLC player freezing at times during playback on dvds and mutes at times when playing music: when i watched a dvd, half way through it, it paused then resumed, i thought it was my dvd but didn't freeze then resume when i tried my media player classic, it played no problem with that, also when i listen to music on vlc player, it mutes the sound then resumes and keeps...
  4. playing DVDs'

playing DVDs': Has anyone downloaded a DVD app? If so which one? Has anyone used a USB external DVD player? If so which one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/playing-dvds/92674b31-6637-4d99-a7df-ca16f80e88dc
  5. Will not allow DVDs to play

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will not allow DVDs to play: This unit will not play any type of DVD ?????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-not-allow-dvds-to-play/099acbae-fba0-455e-8a2d-58d64a2642cd
  6. Can't play DVDs

Can't play DVDs: I have a Dell Inspiron 3670/Windows 10 desktop computer. I cannot play DVDs with the Windows Media Player. No problem playing CDs. I don't get any error message. There is a small arrow at the bottom of the page with the message "retrieving media info" but the DVD never...
  7. BSOD when downloading games from steam and watching dvds on VLC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when downloading games from steam and watching dvds on VLC: Hello everyone, I have been getting BSOD multiple times since I built this pc, which is only about a couple weeks old. Everything was fine for the first week or so, then It started when I was attempting to download a game from steam (elder scrolls online). During BSOD it...
  8. Bad_Pool_Header BSOD when using VLC or playing World of Warcraft

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad_Pool_Header BSOD when using VLC or playing World of Warcraft: After I upgraded to Windows 10 I have been getting BSODs at when either watching videos in VLC or playing mainly World of Warcraft. The primary BSOD I have been getting is the bad_pool_header which first occurred a week after upgrading and was seemingly a random occurrence....
  9. re-use of Win7 upgrade dvds after Win10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    re-use of Win7 upgrade dvds after Win10 upgrade: I have some Win 7 upgrade dvds from Microsoft, previously used on pc's that have now been upgraded to Win 10. Q: Can I use a Win 7 upgrade on an old Win XP unit ? Will it be refused as an already used key ? What I am aiming to accomplish is after getting the XP machine...
  10. W7 Pro VLC License Upgrade to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W7 Pro VLC License Upgrade to W10: I support a private school that has 50 desktops that all use a Microsoft W7 Pro VLC license purchased for 50 units. I can individually upgrade a machine to W10, but I want to duplicate what I did with W7 by creating an image and then restoring the image followed by entering...