Windows 10: Win 10 64 bit (1703) boot time too long!

Discus and support Win 10 64 bit (1703) boot time too long! in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I'm wondering why my win 10 PC takes between 3 and 4 minutes to boot. The startup in task manager tells me that I have only 4 items enabled... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by esebm, Dec 19, 2017.

1. esebm Win User

Win 10 64 bit (1703) boot time too long!

Hi,
    I'm wondering why my win 10 PC takes between 3 and 4 minutes to boot.
    The startup in task manager tells me that I have only 4 items enabled (Avast AV, Glasswire, Windows Defender and Classic Start menu), which together use up less than 11 seconds to boot.
    What in the world happens to the other 3 or so minutes that the PC needs to produce a desktop that can actually be used?
    Thanks,
    Ed

:)

esebm, Dec 19, 2017

2. Windows 10 64-bit stuck in boot logo.

I have 64-bit architecture. During installation windows 10 64-bit stuck on boot logo but works in windows 10 32-bit. I am IT student. I know all about installation & tried all thing possible to install Win 10 64-bit. Also Waited till 3-4 hours too?

Saurav baral, Dec 19, 2017
  3. gxdata Win User
    Windows Update is blocked because Defender is dead

The SID is identical with that on one of my other Windows 10 machines - if the last 3 numbers are 263. It's also Windows 10 PRO 64-bit, 1703 Creators Update.

I will try to find some time tomorrow and start on reformatting my system. Too many long nights trying to fix this - as I posted before, disappointed that Windows 10 in 2017 is capable of getting itself into this condition.

gxdata, Dec 19, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3) chkdsk /scan
    When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

4) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

5) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows
    How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

6) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)

Evaluate the performance on your computer in clean boot during typical use.
    Are the boots faster or slower?
    Are the shutdowns faster or slower?
    How has the audio and video performance changed? Is it better, worse, or the same?
    Continue using clean boot indefinitely to monitor performance.

Other options include upgrading from 1703 > 1709.

zbook, Dec 19, 2017
  5. esebm Win User
    Thanks for the detailed instructions, please find the scan results below:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063](c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannowBeginning system scan. This process will take some time.Beginning verification phase of system scan.Verification 100% complete.Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.15063.0Image Version: 10.0.15063.0[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.The operation completed successfully.C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /scanThe type of the file system is NTFS.Volume label is Windows.Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 333056 file records processed. File verification completed. 6973 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 414424 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Security descriptor verification completed. 40685 data files processed.CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 38681336 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.No further action is required. 78874620 KB total disk space. 45811360 KB in 127612 files. 107404 KB in 40686 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 559208 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 32396648 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 19718655 total allocation units on disk. 8099162 allocation units available on disk.C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I disabled all startup items as per your instructions and the boot time did not decrease, I even had the impression it to be longer than before.
    As to updating to 1709, that does not seem to work. The update history shows two instances when Windows tried to update to 1709 but failed. However, when I click on Look for Updates, Windows tells me that the PC is up-to-date and no updates are available.
    Go figure!
    Ed

esebm, Dec 20, 2017
  6. Railtech Win User
    Open an Admin Command Prompt, (click in Search box, type command, right click on Command Prompt in result window, select Run as administrator), at prompt type shutdown /s. Note space in command (it must be there), press Enter.

You will see a message displayed stating that computer will be shutdown in 1 minute. After computer is shutdown, restart.

Railtech, Dec 20, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    1) find a flash drive that you can format
    2) create a bootable windows 10 iso:
    Download Windows 10
    3) perform an in place upgrade repair:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Method to repair and upgrade:
    1) Open file file explorer
    2) insert the windows 10 iso into any USB port
    3) identify the drive letter in file explorer
    4) click on the drive and find setup or setup.exe
    5) launch it and follow the text and images in this link:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Before performing the in place upgrade repair:
    1) disconnect any peripherals from the computer
    use wired mouse and keyboard, and monitor
    disconnect printer, headset, xbox, speakers etc.
    2) keep computer in clean boot
    3) uninstall any AV/firewall software (always on and manual software) so only AV product is windows defender

zbook, Dec 20, 2017
  8. esebm Win User

Railtech, followed your advice, no difference in boot time.
    Zbook, I would download it but, unfortunately, I live in the Texas boondocks with a slow internet. I simply cannot download huge files without them being corrupted halfway through.

esebm, Dec 20, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    Can you have a friend, relative or local store or travel to a public library to perform the download of the windows 10 iso?
    Alternatively maybe someone could mail to you a 8 GB flash drive with the windows 10 iso?

zbook, Dec 20, 2017
  10. esebm Win User
    I'll find a way, thanks.
    Would that repair and upgrade format my HD?
    Ed

esebm, Dec 20, 2017
  11. zbook New Member
    The in place upgrade repair should save your files and applications.
    It is always best to make a backup so that you are prepared for the unexpected.
    This can be done by backing up user folders and or making a backup image:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

zbook, Dec 21, 2017
  12. esebm Win User
    OK, thanks again for all your advice and input.
    Ed

esebm, Dec 21, 2017
  13. zinou Win User

Hi you mentioned Avast AV and Windows Defender. If you have two active AV in your system that can lead to poor performance. Disable one of the AV and see if there is any improvement!

zinou, Dec 21, 2017
  14. esebm Win User
    Thanks, I'll try that.

esebm, Dec 21, 2017
  15. esebm Win User
    Hi Y'all,
    Reporting back after my PC recently miraculously updated itself to 1709, beats me how.
    Unfortunately, that update did not result in a significant decrease in boot time. It's still over 3 minutes. Just the welcome screen sits there for over a minute.
    I remember the old Win XP Bootvis app and I'm wondering if there's something similar for win 10 to record the various startup items?
    Thanks,
    Ed

esebm, Feb 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 64 bit (1703) boot time too long! - Similar Threads - bit 1703 boot

2. boot time a bit too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    boot time a bit too long: Hi allMy windows 7 PC is taking some time to start up like 1 to 2 minute. I don't think this is normal because i have installed an ssd. Please help me. I have tried disabling all downloaded apps from startup, and chkdsk finds nothing wrong.I am on windows 7 because on windows...
  3. boot time a bit too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    boot time a bit too long: Hi allMy windows 7 PC is taking some time to start up like 1 to 2 minute. I don't think this is normal because i have installed an ssd. Please help me. I have tried disabling all downloaded apps from startup, and chkdsk finds nothing wrong.I am on windows 7 because on windows...
  4. Win 10 32-bit to 64-bit

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 32-bit to 64-bit: Hello, I recently upgraded my old Dell Optiplex 390 pc I had laying around. I started with updating to Windows 10 then added some more RAM to the system. Unfortunately i'm running on the 32 bit OS and it cannot use the extra 5 RAM i added to it and its currently being used as...
  5. Win 10 64-bit to 32-bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 64-bit to 32-bit: I have Win 10 64-bit but some older programs won't work on it. The maker of the programs have abandoned them so I can't go back for updated versions. I've tried the compatibility mode, etc. I'm thinking I might solve the problem by installing the Win 10 32-bit version. I...
  6. win 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Customization
    win 10 64 bit: Hello, I have win 10 64 bit, is there a way i can run a game that is 32 bit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/win-10-64-bit/df9c9918-85fb-40e3-924b-7feeaf5c44a9
  7. win 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win 10 64 bit: I bought a disc win 10 0em from newegg. ok here,s the question if I get a new motherboard I will be able to activate like win 7 right? clean install from dvd it has a license on the package. 40253
  8. Windows 10 Home 64 bit Version 1703 boot and email problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit Version 1703 boot and email problems: Since MS upgraded me to this version I have had numerous problems. I even rest back to ver. 1607 but didn't help. Now my email reader SeaMonkey 2.48 takes forever to download emails and even longer to read them. It normally goes back to normal speed when all emails have...
  9. 64 bit Windows 10 1703 REBOOTS!

in Windows 10 Support
    64 bit Windows 10 1703 REBOOTS!: Hello ALL: I have an issue that is strange. All will be running OK and I can select a program or web site and the system will reboot. From that point on, if I select shutdown it will shutdown and restart! I can restore a complete image and all is OK again for days and then I...
  10. Win 10 32 bit to Win 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 32 bit to Win 10 64 bit: I am wanting to upgrade my wife's comp from win 10 32 bit to win 10 64 bit, her win 10 is activated. I've downloaded the Win 10 64 bit ISO to my machine (Win 10 64 bit). Do I just burn the ISO to DVD and then boot my wife's machine with that or do I mount it on my machine...