Windows 10: Win 10 after a cold boot

Discus and support Win 10 after a cold boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This happens when I power up the pc and it boots. The desktop appears, and when I click normally on an icon (a desktop shortcut) to open it, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ventanasguy, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Win 10 after a cold boot

This happens when I power up the pc and it boots.

The desktop appears, and when I click normally on an icon (a desktop shortcut) to open it, it doesn't open. Instead I get the menu that I would get if I had right-clicked on the icon. If I open it from there, there are problems with tabs.

To fix this, I Restart the pc. Then everything works the way it should.

It always happens when I power up the pc. And I always have to restart it to fix it.

Any ideas on this one? Thanks!

:)

ventanasguy, Aug 31, 2015
  2. Bro15 Win User

Problem with software/drivers after "cold" boot

Hi all,

I'll try to describe my problem short as possible.

So, I have some issues with drivers/software after cold boot of Windows 10.

With Win7&8 - no issues.

After that I did upgrade to Win 10, and problems have started.

After upgrade, to Win 10, my keyboard (SteelSeries Merc Stealth) software(drivers?) was working only after the "cold" start I do a restart. I was thinking that's because "out-of-date" software. Whatever.

Then I needed to do a clean Win 10 installation. And then the problems have started, not only with my keyboard, but with my video cards as well.

I have 3 monitors on my ATI R9 290 and 1 on my Intel HD 4000. If I perform cold boot, then only the ATI monitors are working (keyboard does not as well), and there is no options in the popup menu on desktop for Intel "Graphics properties/ Graphics options".

If I do perform a restart after that situation, everything is just fine, everything is working as intended.

So, my question is - why I do need a restart after cold boot?

Thanks in advance.

J.

Bro15, Aug 31, 2015
  3. ShaneM88 Win User
    Windows Shortcut Keys

Hello,

This issue is strange, when the computer boots up (for the first time or after a reboot) the win+r shortcut does function as it is supposed to. But then every attempt of pressing the win+r keys after that does not work at all until either the next boot (cold
    or warm).

Any ideas?

Shane

ShaneM88, Aug 31, 2015
  4. mohamed Win User

Win 10 after a cold boot

Most of the times the Explorer crashes due a bad or corrupt Context Menu the best way to troubleshoot is to download the ShellExView is an excellent tool to view and manage all installed shell extensions. The rule is to disable non-Microsoft context menu handlers *one-by-one* and verify if the problem is solved. If disabling one does not solve the problem, undo the disabled item and disable the next non-Microsoft handler. Do the same until the problem is solved and finally identify the culprit. Scroll right to see the Company Name column in ShellExView. Run a SFC Scannow to make sure all the System files are intact.
    Solved Windows 8 Explorer hangs on right-click - no icons after

mohamed, Aug 31, 2015
  5. Thanks! I'll give it a try.

6. I ran ShellExView and only had two non-Microsoft ones. They were from Oracle. I disabled them and so far, the couple of times I have shut down and powered up the pc, it's been working fine. I'll do an update here in the morning after it's been turned off overnight. Thanks again for your help. Nice product!

p.s. the SFC scan ran clean.

7. mohamed Win User
    *chuckle

mohamed, Sep 1, 2015
  8. Win 10 after a cold boot

Well, unfortunately this morning it was back to the old problem. I just decided to go back to Windows 7 on that pc.
    Maybe in the future I'll try Windows 10 on there again. Thanks for your suggestion mohamed!

p.s. With Windows 7 the pc works fine.

ventanasguy, Sep 1, 2015
  9. mohamed Win User
    I think that the XP is the best Microsoft products so far

mohamed, Sep 1, 2015
  10. Mouhim Win User
    Hi,

The fast startup option is not advised on some computers. Even with TH2 on, it makes Windows Hangs when doing a Cold start (A startup not a restart) on some computers, it's not a universal bug.

Disable it in Control panel, power options, choose what power button do, click on change settings that are currently unavailable in the upper section before going down to uncheck the option "Turn on fast startup".

Since doing so will prevent cases like yours from benefiting from this new feature, i would suggest to turn off the startup windows splash screen to gain back a second or two. (Do so by running Msconfig, go to the boot section, and check NO GUI BOOT.

Good luck

Mouhim, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 after a cold boot

1. Win 10 after a cold boot - Similar Threads - cold boot

2. Windows 10 WiFi disables itself on cold boots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 WiFi disables itself on cold boots: Having an ongoing issue with Windows 10 wifi dropping the moment Windows is booted was connected just fine, then drops. Then it goes through the long process of disabling the wifi adapter, checking for errors in connection, and then slowly reconnects to wifi. Sometimes it...
  3. Windows 10 WiFi disables itself on cold boots

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 WiFi disables itself on cold boots: Having an ongoing issue with Windows 10 wifi dropping the moment Windows is booted was connected just fine, then drops. Then it goes through the long process of disabling the wifi adapter, checking for errors in connection, and then slowly reconnects to wifi. Sometimes it...
  4. Windows 10 WiFi disables itself on cold boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. My SD Card Reader will not mount except following a cold boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SD Card Reader will not mount except following a cold boot: My DELL Win11 PC hung up on 'reboot' so I hard-rebooted pressed on/off button 10+ seconds Ever since, when I put in a good! SD CARD into my reader, it fails to recognize it. If I leave the SD CARD in the reader slot, and reboot, half the time the SD drive is recognized from a...
  6. My SD Card Reader will not mount except following a cold boot

My SD Card Reader will not mount except following a cold boot: My DELL Win11 PC hung up on 'reboot' so I hard-rebooted pressed on/off button 10+ seconds Ever since, when I put in a good! SD CARD into my reader, it fails to recognize it. If I leave the SD CARD in the reader slot, and reboot, half the time the SD drive is recognized from a...
  7. Why does my ethernet only work after a cold boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my ethernet only work after a cold boot.: Recently, I made my own pc and noticed that my ethernet driver is "hidden" in device manager and will only work after i unplug the power supply for 10-20 seconds and plug it back in. So far, I have tried-Unchecking the "Allow device to sleep" or something like that in the...
  8. Why does my ethernet only work after a cold boot.

Why does my ethernet only work after a cold boot.: Recently, I made my own pc and noticed that my ethernet driver is "hidden" in device manager and will only work after i unplug the power supply for 10-20 seconds and plug it back in. So far, I have tried-Unchecking the "Allow device to sleep" or something like that in the...
  9. After cold boot I get BSOD. How can I set windows to boot into "protected mode"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After cold boot I get BSOD. How can I set windows to boot into "protected mode": Hi,My Windows 11 Asus computer goes into a BSOD every time I power it up.I power it off and power it on again and second time round it works fine. Attempts to diagnose the issue have been unsuccessful.How can I adjust Windows to always boot into the mode that kicks in when a...
  10. After cold boot I get BSOD. How can I set windows to boot into "protected mode"

After cold boot I get BSOD. How can I set windows to boot into "protected mode": Hi,My Windows 11 Asus computer goes into a BSOD every time I power it up.I power it off and power it on again and second time round it works fine. Attempts to diagnose the issue have been unsuccessful.How can I adjust Windows to always boot into the mode that kicks in when a...