Windows 10: Win 10 Alt-Tab Order - Dword Addition - Will it work?

Discus and support Win 10 Alt-Tab Order - Dword Addition - Will it work? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For keyboard nerds like me [img] , this is one that I use many times daily. When I installed Win 7 back in 2010, I added this dword to revert the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Voyager 1, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Voyager 1 Win User

Win 10 Alt-Tab Order - Dword Addition - Will it work?

For keyboard nerds like me
    Win 10 Alt-Tab Order - Dword Addition - Will it work? [​IMG]
    , this is one that I use many times daily. When I installed Win 7 back in 2010, I added this dword to revert the alt-tab order to the way it worked with XP & Vista (with logical order and without a Desktop icon choice in the Order icons). Win 7 changed how this worked and I preferred the previous operation mode for alt-tab.

I added this dword to the following Registry location. Path is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER>> Software>> Microsoft>> Windows>> CurrentVersion>> Explorer

I'm guessing that the Win 10 Alt-Tab order works the way Win 7 did (not sure about Win 8[.1]) .

Will this Dword addition revert it to the Vista/XP Alt-Tab Order functionality in Win 10?

:)

Voyager 1, Jun 7, 2015
  2. rec2tec Win User

Alt-Tab in Windows 10

This was driving me a bit crazy as well. The "Easy Fix" caused me more problems as well and I reverted back using system restore. I finally went with the solution found here:

ALT+TAB - Use Classic Icons or Default Thumbnails - Windows 7 Help Forums

You do a registry change by creating a DWORD value of AltTabSettings at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

and giving it a value of 1 (one). This goes back to "classic" Alt+Tab settings.

I had gotten used to the the preview screens using Win 10 Alt+Tab and liked them. However, Alt+Tab+Tab wasn't working for me.

-Tom

rec2tec, Jun 7, 2015
  3. Alt-Tab works different after Win-10 upgrade

After upgrading my Win-7 laptop to Win-10, Alt-Tab works different than before.

I use Alt-Tab a lot to swap between open applications. Before (and all previous Win versions), Alt-Tab once took me back to the previous open app - i.e. Excel & Word. Now, Alt-Tab once, just stays in the current open app. I have to hit Tab twice to go
    to the last open app. AND, if I have more that 2 open apps, it's not consistent as to which open app it will go to. I have to watch the pop-up carefully to see which app it's going to go to.

I have another, older, computer that had Vista, so the upgrade to Win-10 was not available. I installed a fresh, complete, Win-10 install and Alt-Tab works that same as in previous Win versions.

So, it seems something in my "upgrade" caused this unusual action.

Any ideas? This is very frustrating!

GeorgeNKing, Jun 7, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jun 7, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    This also works:
    Press and hold right Alt, click left Alt then Tab and Tab to select.

Edwin, Jun 7, 2015
  6. Voyager 1 Win User
    Shawn

The Win 10 keyboard/nerd factor is looking better and better for me *Smile

Wish I had seen your Alt-Tab Tutorial back in the day. I found that info on some blog somewhere after googl'ing a while that day. Maybe they got it from you *Smile

Edwin

Thanks for the screencap. I saved that in my "Win 10 Misc Info" file so I don't have to trust my weak RAM (the sticks between my ears) *Smile

Voyager 1, Jun 7, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. Glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Alt-Tab Order - Dword Addition - Will it work? - Similar Threads - Alt Tab Order

2. Alt Tab is not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt Tab is not working.: I've been trying to use alt tab to switch specific screens, but instead, the screen just highlights different aspects of the web browser or program I'm using at the moment. I've already. I've already updated to the latest version of Windows. I've restarted my pc, unplugged...
  3. Alt Tab is not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt Tab is not working.: I've been trying to use alt tab to switch specific screens, but instead, the screen just highlights different aspects of the web browser or program I'm using at the moment. I've already. I've already updated to the latest version of Windows. I've restarted my pc, unplugged...
  4. ALT + TAB Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ALT + TAB Not Working: Oddělit od tohoto vlákna. Having the same problem on my notebook. Windows pop-up not working and alt+tab not working also. Does not work on my notebook keyboard and on connected keyboard as well...Tried all methods here and none helped....
  5. Alt tab is doing what win +tab should, and vice versa AND alt tab wont work at all in games...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Alt tab is doing what win +tab should, and vice versa AND alt tab wont work at all in games...: So this wasn't an issue ever but after i built this new rig about 6 months ago randomly it stopped letting alt tab tab out of games for example, so i was forced to start doing win key + tab, no big deal. Now for some reason 1 game (far cry 3) likes to freeze/crash if you...
  6. alt tab not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    alt tab not working: When i try to alt tab it doesnt work, and i hear a beep after i press it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/alt-tab-not-working/64c4fba0-5b02-4247-a380-85dbfd891888
  7. Alt-Tab Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Alt-Tab Not Working: Hello, I am using windows 10. Till now the Alt-Tab Feature of windows was working fine but today suddenly it stopped working. I Searched and found out that adding a registry would work so I opened registry editor and added a registry named AltTabSettings with value 1 in...
  8. Alt+Tab is not working on Windows 10

Alt+Tab is not working on Windows 10: Dear MS, I have Dell Latitude and found that ALT+TAB doesn't work, which is most important in my work. I access VPN to connect and to connect to the my desktop i have to use CTRL+ALT+DEL to connect to Task Manager and then i use my desktop. As ALT key is not being use...
  9. Windows 10 Alt-Tab shows additional ghost Excel apps

Windows 10 Alt-Tab shows additional ghost Excel apps: Following the recent upgrade to v1903, Alt-Tab is now showing unexpected results when used to switch between running applications. So far this is restricted to Excel - I have not seen it anywhere else. The issue is shown in the screen photo (unable to take screenshot...
  10. Alt-Tab is working, but other alt combinations not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Alt-Tab is working, but other alt combinations not working.: When i try to use left alt+z to open nvidia in game control panel, it doesnt work. It doesn't work for other left alt combinations as well which I can't do using right alt. Only combination that works is alt+tab. That's why i think it's not keyboard issue, otherwise alt-tab...