Windows 10: Win 10 Anniversary, automatic updates & Group Policy Settings

Discus and support Win 10 Anniversary, automatic updates & Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I've just installed KB3176929. Now I am running Windows 10 Education v1607, b14393.10. Almost everything it's fine despite "Windows Update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Gobbo, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Gobbo Win User

Win 10 Anniversary, automatic updates & Group Policy Settings

Hello, I've just installed KB3176929. Now I am running Windows 10 Education v1607, b14393.10.

Almost everything it's fine despite "Windows Update Settings" *Mad.

In the past I've used Local Group Policy Editor to tweak the settings and make Windows notify me when I need some update, without downloading or installing anything.

Now, in gpedit the relevant policy is still correct:

Win 10 Anniversary, automatic updates & Group Policy Settings [​IMG]

The problem is that in the Update section, under Settings it shows the following:

So it's clearly stated that download and installation will be executed without user intervention.
    Also Active hours button is also displayed, but I have never had this before Anniversary update.

Before this update my Update Settings screen was similar to this one:

What I have already tried to get back the previous behavior:
    • set the policy Configure auto updates to not configured
    • shut down and power up
    • set the policy Configure auto updates to enabled & 2 = Notify before...
    • manually checked for update
    • reboot

I did not succeed.

Is this policy still applicable to Win 10 Edu?
    Have you any suggestions?

Many thanks *Smile

P.S.: I am wondering if disabling active hours from registry can help or not.

:)

Gobbo, Aug 2, 2016
  2. Joakim Bengtsson, Aug 2, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Pro Automatic Updates / Group policy. How can I really disable Automaic Updates?

Thank you again Eeshwar.

Your statement: 'I would like to inform that unfortunately all the updates will be installed in your Operating System and it is by design' is not correct.

That statement is correct for Windows 10 Home but it is not correct for Windows 10 Pro.

The Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) allows one to configure Windows Updates.

The Group Policy Editor IS NOT available under Windows 10 Home.

The Group Policy Editor IS available under Windows 10 Pro.

If you are running Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise you can:

1.) Win+r

2.) Type: gpedit.msc and enter.

This will start the 'Local Group Policy Editor'.

Look at: Computer Configuration ->Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Updates.

There are 19 settings for configuring how Windows Updates occur.

I have:

1.) Configure Automatic Updates 'Enabled' and set 'Configure automatic updating' to '2 - Notify for download and notify for install'.

2.) I have 'Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation' Disabled.

Eeshwar, do not give up on me! This is a real issue!

Thank you.

RobertSullivan9050, Aug 2, 2016
  4. aardvark Win User

I also posted the same issue for Win 10 Pro here:

https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...pressions.html

However, it may actually be working because I received a pop up notification that updates were available; however, I didn't capture that but I did get this screenshot:

In summary, I did get notified and they didn't download automatically.

aardvark, Aug 2, 2016
  5. Gobbo Win User
    I receievd the same notification, maybe Win Update is working as intended.

If so, the settings description is misleading a bit.
    It would be great if more pepole can report their experiences *Wink

Gobbo, Aug 2, 2016
  6. johnpd Win User
    Same here with Win 10 Pro. I have set via GPEdit the Windows Update option to notify for download and install, but get the same indicator on the Settings screen that they would be automatically downloaded and installed. But it appears to notify on the Action Center that an update is available and does not download until I click "check".

JohnD

johnpd, Aug 2, 2016
  7. I got the same odd message on the WindowsUpdate-window after the upgrade, while gpedit is set to notify only. Since I am using ESET Smart Security and not Windows Defender, I removed Silverlight hoping to confirm/deny the update issue. Otherwise waiting would take quite some time.

Now I'm waiting for Windows Update to figure out there's supposed to be something offered as available, but that takes a while, I already increased the frequency of checking with gpedit.
    ESS, which also informs me about Windows Updates, noticed Silverlight as available hours ago*sarc

If I manually hit search, the gpedit setting will most likely be ignored, like before the update... So the only thing to do, is wait.

bartgrefte, Aug 3, 2016
  8. johnpd Win User

You might want to follow my discussion in the Microsoft Community about this. MS came back and mentioned the "Active Hours" option that is now included in the Anniversary Update. I don't find this helpful.

My Issues with the Anniversary Update

JohnD

johnpd, Aug 4, 2016
  9. Camera Win User
    I'm glad I found this. Having updated to 1607 last night and rechecked GPEDIT I could not understand why I was not seeing the "Some settings are managed by your organisation" message in Windows Update. Hopefully it is only that message that has changed.

Active Hours is no good to me. The idea of fixed hours in this day and age is laughable.

Dave

Camera, Aug 4, 2016
  10. eddman Win User
    So, does it mean that windows update group policy setting actually takes effect, but it simply doesn't show up in windows settings?

Another question; I clicked on check for updates and it found one, BUT it did not show me an "install" button and immediately started downloading and installing. Has it always been like this in windows 10 or is it just a 10 AU thing? Group policy is set to notify for both download and install.

P.S. windows 10 AU is my first, proper go with the OS.

eddman, Aug 4, 2016
  11. johnpd Win User
    Until we get some updates, I cannot tell if the GP Edit setting is still in effect. On another system I have, which has Windows Defender, it just notified me of updates for it and did not install them until I did the check. I will have to try it again. I don't know if regular updates will act differently.
    Once you click "Check for updates", it will immediately download and install any available updates. It is not like Windows 8 and prior where it would give you a list of updates and you could pick and choose any or all updates to process.

JohnD

johnpd, Aug 4, 2016
  12. Flik Win User
    If it doesn't download automatically until you actually click the check button, running the show/hide tool before you check you could hide any you do not want? I've done this all the time since W10 release.

Tutorial for the tool can be found here Windows Updates - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I've not updated to the anniversary update yet so can't check.

13. johnpd Win User

My understanding of that tool is that you must already have the update installed for it to hide something.

JohnD

johnpd, Aug 5, 2016
  14. Update, after installing an older version of Silverlight because Windows Update didn't offer Silverlight at all:

I don't think I have to translate this, looks like the gpedit-setting still has effect *Smile , even though it says otherwise below at the "update settings" part.

bartgrefte, Aug 5, 2016
  15. johnpd Win User
    I agree. I have one system that has Windows Defender for an antivirus. Whenever I bring it up, I get a notification that an update is available. When I go to the "Settings" > "Update & security" > "Windows Update", it lists the update for Defender as available. When I click "Check for updates", it then downloads and installs it. I will see what happens Tuesday when most likely we will get a regular update. I have not yet applied the AU to my desktop which somewhere has buried (I assume in the Registry) the old "Never check for updates" setting. This setting was retained when I upgraded it to Win 10 a little over a month ago. It will be interesting to see what ends up there when I install the AU. It would be nice if they showed what setting it was actually using.

JohnD

johnpd, Aug 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Win 10 Anniversary, automatic updates & Group Policy Settings - Similar Threads - Anniversary automatic updates

2. Bitlocker Group Policy settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Group Policy settings: Dear reader,I have a question about the bitlocker group policy settings. More specifically about the configuration of the pre-boot recovery message and URL. In the image below it's in Dutch you see the standard bitlocker recovery message. We know it is possible to include an...
  3. Setting Group Policy for Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting Group Policy for Windows Updates: I am running Windows 10 Pro 2004 for my home business. I want to set the Features Update schedule to be like the old "CBB" channel Features Updates deferred for a few months after general release. I go into Local Group Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative...
  4. Looking for group policy setting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Looking for group policy setting: that locks all connection ports when in lock screen. I actually set it today, but now forgot where it's at and I wanted to add it to my notes for future reference. I am not sure if it was from a tutorial on this site or elsewhere. I searched my history but came up empty. Is...
  5. Set group policy programatically

Set group policy programatically: How to set group policy programatically https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-group-policy-programatically/08fa07c5-cc34-457d-9220-f094b09089f3
  6. Group Policy Settings Windows 10

Group Policy Settings Windows 10: How does one reset all group plicies to default settings in windows 10. I have no executable named "gpedit". Thanks Peeps..... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/group-policy-settings-windows-10/d99877a9-7349-49ec-91a5-aaf9edac8be4
  7. Win-10 Update issue and Group Policy

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win-10 Update issue and Group Policy: Hello, Had followed a tutorial on this forum and installed Win-10 and set up Data Partition on D:\. Did Win-10 update v.1803 some time back and got the following error: Update for Windows Defender antimalware platform - KB4052623 (Version 4.18.1809.2) Failed to install on...
  8. Group Policy Settings

Group Policy Settings: I just installed an update, lost my Stickies - destroying my world, & my default app settings are changing on their own. I contacted Microsoft after exhausting all available info online, had a remote session, 2 chats, and it is still broken. Does anyone know the steps to...
  9. Windows 10 group policy update settings changes automatically

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 group policy update settings changes automatically: Dear all I have windows 10 pro and I have edited the group policy for windows update and has set it to notify me to download. My problem is that after a few days windows automatically download updates and install them though I had set it to notify to download. It seems that...
  10. Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10: How to: Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 How to Manually Update Group Policy Settings in Windows 10 [img] Information The Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in that provides a single user interface through...