Windows 10: Win 10 Anniversary fails to install

Discus and support Win 10 Anniversary fails to install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My anniversary update failed near 80% complete showing: 0x80070017-0x2000c...failed in SAFE_OS phase...error APPLY_IMAGE operation. I suspect a hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by roving, Aug 26, 2016.

1. roving Win User

Win 10 Anniversary fails to install

My anniversary update failed near 80% complete showing: 0x80070017-0x2000c...failed in SAFE_OS phase...error APPLY_IMAGE operation. I suspect a hard drive problem as it makes noises. I have a new hard drive that I would like to replace the old one with. It is new (WD 1 TB WD10EZEX) and not formatted and has no OS on it, of course. How can I install the new drive and install Win 10 on it and then upgrade it to the Anniv Edition? I know how to physically put the drive in and remove the old, but don't know what to do after that. I have my original Win 10 Pro ISO on cd and a Macrium bootable rescue disk on cd to work with. What do you suggest?

:)

roving, Aug 26, 2016
  2. NehaDhuri Win User

Facing some issues while installing Windows 10 anniversary on Windows 10 pro machine.

I am facing some issues while installing Win 10 anniversary version on machine with Win 10 pro. But, I have easily installed win 10 anniversary on machine with Win 10 home. If i am trying to update Win 10 pro for anniversary version then it directly download
    Win 10 pro update only which is higher than Anniversary version.

Kindly give suggestion for installing Win 10 anniversary version.

NehaDhuri, Aug 26, 2016
  3. Elena_321 Win User
    Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in. **Part 2**

Win 10 Anniversary version 1607 has been installed, however Start menu fails to launch, all kind of suggestions including msconfig, CMD and so on being tried. No success. Any suggestion

Elena_321, Aug 26, 2016
  4. SonicBlue Win User

First I would run a diag on it, I see in your specs it's a HP so to do that.
    Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second. If the HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen is displayed, go to Testing using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI).

SonicBlue, Aug 26, 2016
  5. TrustMe Win User
    Remember to backup all your personal files documents, pictures, music, and videos.

If you would like to upgrade your present OS, I suggest you try this fix, and then try the upgrade again. Read the comments below, one guy said you can not just copy and paste the commands. This fix was posted by torre, a member of our forum.

Windows 10 Build 10122 Upgrade Stuck or Failed with Error 0x8007057 - 0x20007 - Tech Journey

If that does not work, or if you just want to do a clean install on the new hard drive, the first thing I would do is open Device Manager. Click the little + sign next to every device. Next, get out your cell phone and take pictures of all the devices. After the clean install of Windows, if you have any Unknown Devices in Device Manager, just compare the pictures to the new Device Manager and see what's missing.

I would also suggest you go to HP's website and download the wifi and Ethernet drivers for your laptop. If Windows don't have a driver for them, at least you will be able to get on the Internet.

Here is a guide on how to download the new Windows 10 ISO (Anniversary Update). Just burn it to DVD or exract it to a USB flash drive and install Windows. It matters which ISO you download. Here in the U.S., it's probably just Windows 10, with no letter after it. You'll see what I'm talking about when you look through the guide. You also have to install the same version of Windows (Home or Pro) you have installed now. If you use the correct ISO, and install the right version, Windows will automatically activate once you go on the Internet.

Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

The Win 10 iso will contain Home and Pro. If your laptop came with Windows 8 or 8.1, during the installation of Win10, it will look into the BIOS for your Win 8 key and automatically install the correct version. Windows will know to install Home or Pro from your Windows 8 key. If your laptop came with Home and you upgraded to Pro, use the method below during installation.

If your laptop came with Win 7, you have to tell Windows which version to install. You do that by inputting the generic Win 10 Home or Pro product key during installation. Here are the generic product keys.

On the screen where you input the product key, if you click Skip or Continue, sometimes on the next screen, it will give you a choice to install Home or Pro, but other times it did not. I always just input the generic key, it has never failed me.

Generic key to install Windows 10 RTM

EDIT
    Don't worry about formatting or partitioning the new hard drive. Windows should automatically do that for you during installation.

TrustMe, Aug 26, 2016
  6. roving Win User
    Many thanks for your attention and suggestions. My laptop upgraded without a problem. It is my desktop that has the squealing drive on startup. It was originally Vista, but has gotten every upgrade offered, and was running Win 10 for the past year. Then the drive started its noise, and now fails to install the Anniversary upgrade. I have mostly identical files on both computers as I travel 6 months with the laptop and prefer the faster desktop when home. My most critical stuff is on One Drive and backed up elsewhere. I will probably leave my old drive in the desktop case as it might be good to have it as sort of a backup, until it quits completely. I think I will proceed with the clean install on my new HD, so will follow your instructions on how to do this. I really appreciate both of you for your interest and time in helping me out. Hope I don't have to bother you again, but will ask if I need more help. Thanks,

roving, Aug 26, 2016
  7. roving Win User
    Sorry I am late in replying. I ran the test suggested and it verified that the HD has problems just as I expected. Thanks for your help.

roving, Aug 30, 2016
  8. deeaa Win User

I have similar problems, a 2 month old clean installation of w10 fails to update completely. I have tried a couple dozen times and no go. Sometimes it gets to final update phase, I think the record was 80 something per cent after a couple of reboots, but most often it fails right at the first boot, and doesn't give any kind of errors. Just reboots back to w10.

This is extremely annoying since I just got the system built and up proper early this summer, and I have a LOT of settings in my audio programs and everything that took weeks to build and hone and I really hate the idea of having to start from scratch.

deeaa, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Anniversary fails to install - Similar Threads - Anniversary fails install

2. win 10 failed to install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win 10 failed to install: win 10 install "failed in the safe__os phase with an error during boot operation"0x1900101 - 0x20017Boy do I need help - it took me 6 days to get this far and I thought I had it made when it came to the install step BUT . . .I see that others have had an identical problem but...
  3. Win 10 install failed

Win 10 install failed: How to solve this error message when installing Win 10...thank you.... "windows setup cannot start due to missing installation files. If you previously launched setup from a local directory, copy all the installation files to the directory again and relaunch setup"...
  4. Unable to Install Anniversary Update - Keeps failing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to Install Anniversary Update - Keeps failing: I am unable to install the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, keeps failing after second restart (at around 75%). Machine is a relatively recent custom build, a little over 12 months old: Gigabyte B85M-HD3 (rev 2) mobo, i5-4460 CPU, Geforce GT 740 2GB GPU, 8GB RAM, Samsung 850...
  5. Win 10 Anniversary update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Anniversary update: My Laptop, running Win10 Pro 64-bit, updated yesterday, and I am now on this version. Is this the latest? i.e. the MS Anniversary update? [img] 58665
  6. PC fails to identify smartphone following Win 10 Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC fails to identify smartphone following Win 10 Anniversary Update: I've been using my win10 system from routine maintenance of my LG G2 smartphone. Following MS extensive Anniversary Update, my pc stopped to identify my smartphone as a device' preventing me for any use of the pc for the phone. Is there anything I can do to solve this...
  7. Win 10 (Anniversary Update) will not boot with Radeon R9 installed

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Win 10 (Anniversary Update) will not boot with Radeon R9 installed: Windows 10 (Anniversary Update) will not get past the splash screen with a Asus AMD Radeon R9 290 fitted. I spent 3 days trying to install the Anniversary Update so that I can play Forza Horizon 3 as it will not even install without it. In the end I took all the cards out...
  8. Anniversary Win 10 Clean Install off MCT

Anniversary Win 10 Clean Install off MCT: I just did a clean install of 10 1607 & just a question if this normal I just used my 1 tb drive raw unformatted & select custom install means clean i assume it formatted & worked after install but when i go to disk management I do not see any hidden partitions was all in...
  9. Anniversary update fails

Anniversary update fails: I'm helping a friend with her Toshiba laptop. It came with Windows 7 and she had updated it to windows 10 but could not update to the anniversary version. The anniversary update repeatedly failed for me too. So I did a sfc/scannow which found errors and fixed them. I...
  10. Failed Win 10 Installation

Failed Win 10 Installation: . I have 5 PC/Laptops with W7- W8.1 (2 to 7 years old) and I was able to upgrade with no problems to WIN 10. I have 2 identical New PC (2 months old with Win 8.1 Pro) : Pentium G3258 MB ASROCK H97M-ITX/AC H97 ITX R RAM: 8GB G Skill WD 1000GB Installed first Win8...