Windows 10: Win 10 as guest in virtualbox (with LinuxMint as host)

Discus and support Win 10 as guest in virtualbox (with LinuxMint as host) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have deleted Win 10 from my harddrive. And with Virtualbox I have Win 7 running now. But I cannot get Win 10 installed. Any clue how to proceed?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by dtong22, Jan 2, 2015.

1. dtong22 Win User

Win 10 as guest in virtualbox (with LinuxMint as host)

I have deleted Win 10 from my harddrive.
    And with Virtualbox I have Win 7 running now. But I cannot get Win 10 installed. Any clue how to proceed?
    Would appreciate your assistance

Daniel

:)

dtong22, Jan 2, 2015

2. Moving a Windows 10 virtualbox guest pc to a new host. Any issues?

I have a virtualbox pc running Windows 10 Home (upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium, which was installed with a full retail key). I need to move this guest to a new host. I've done this before with Win7 guests, although sometimes I've had to do the
    telephone re-authentication. Are there any issues with doing this with Windows 10?

(And no, I'm not trying to run 2 copies of this guest. I'll be doing a full shutdown of the guest, and virtualbox. I'll copy the files to the new host and remove them from the old host after the migration is successful.)

Florida_Matt, Jan 2, 2015
  3. Need information on XP Mode on Windows 10

Quoting from: Downloads – Oracle VM VirtualBox

• VirtualBox 5.0.2 for Windows hosts x86/amd64

Please be aware that Windows 10 is not yet officially supported! There are known problems with VirtualBox 5.0.2 on Windows 10 hosts and with Windows 10 guests. Some of the problems are fixed in the most
      recent test build which can be found here.

Andre,

Is the cited test build what you actually prefer ?; and,

Should the VirtualBox 5.0.2 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack also be installed?

KellyBellis, Jan 2, 2015
  4. adamf Win User

Please let us know what version of mint and VirtualBox you are running and which build you are trying to install.

You also need to describe a little but what problem you are having as "I cannot get Win 10 installed" is a big vague.

For your information the last install I did (build 9901 clean install from ISO) under VirtualBox 4.3.20 (running on OSX Yosemite) hung during installation 3 times. I just ended the VM after 20 minutes or so each time. After removing the virtual CD the third time the installation completed normally.

adamf, Jan 4, 2015
  5. Superfly Win User
    These setting work for me on Rebecca

Win 10 as guest in virtualbox (with LinuxMint as host) [​IMG]

Do not use EFI and make sure you have enough video memory assigned.

Superfly, Jan 4, 2015
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    When installing the OS be sure to select Windows 8.1 as the version. This will make appropriate settings for Windows 10.

LMiller7, Jan 4, 2015
  7. dtong22 Win User
    Adamf, Superfly...Thanks for the quick reply.
    I am using Linuxmint 17.1 as host. Win 10 Build 9901. I have tweaked the amount of video memory allocated (512 Mb now). Also I gave 4Gb of ram (max for 32 bit Win 10) as well.
    What Version of Win 10 did you guy assign?
    Win TP...? Is that such a selection? Or Win 7 or Win 8 or Vista 32 bit?
    My cpu is amd. Maybe that is an issue. But I had no trouble setting up Win7 as guest.

Daniel

dtong22, Jan 4, 2015
  8. dtong22 Win User

Good. Will do that tonight. Thanks. I was playing around with the generic Window 32 bit

Daniel

dtong22, Jan 4, 2015
  9. adamf Win User
    I used 8.1 settings (but 64 bit). Don't worry if the install hangs - just power off the machine and restart it after removing the ISO from the virtual CD drive. 3rd reboot it finishes. I did read this tip somewhere but can't remember where now but anyway I needed to do that on 9901 for virtualbox.

I also couldn't install guest additions (although it worked on earlier builds) so I run it headless and connect with remote desktop. I'm running x64 though so perhaps it will work for you. Good luck *Smile

adamf, Jan 4, 2015
  10. LMiller7 Win User
    The problem when you select "Other Windows" as the version is that VirtualBox then has no knowledge of the requirements of the OS you are installing and will use default settings. Some of these will not work with Windows 10. VirtualBox does not yet officially support Windows 10 so you need to select the closest version, Windows 8.1.

Do not install the Guest additions in the client as they do not yet support Windows 10.

Edit: Technically you could use any version setting you want but then you would need to make all configuration settings yourself. Selecting Windows 8.1 just makes it simpler.

LMiller7, Jan 4, 2015
  11. dtong22 Win User
    No luck yet last night for an hour. Will try other tweaks as suggested above. Thanks guys

Daniel

dtong22, Jan 5, 2015
  12. adamf Win User
    Perhaps you could post your a screenshot of your settings like Superfly did and we can see if anything is wrong. This is mine and it works OK..

Attachment 10117

adamf, Jan 5, 2015
  13. LMiller7 Win User

Can you describe the precise issues you are having including any error messages? Thisgreat deal.

LMiller7, Jan 5, 2015
  14. dtong22 Win User
    Hope the image tells you everything.

Daniel

Win 10 as guest in virtualbox (with LinuxMint as host) [​IMG]

dtong22, Jan 5, 2015
  15. adamf Win User
    adamf, Jan 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Win 10 as guest in virtualbox (with LinuxMint as host) - Similar Threads - guest virtualbox LinuxMint

2. Unable to install Guest Additions in VirtualBox

in Windows 10 News
    Unable to install Guest Additions in VirtualBox: [ATTACH]It may happen that you are unable to install Guest Additions to a virtual machine in Oracle VirtualBox. When we click on Devices > Install Guest Additions CD Image, it does nothing but throw an error as follows: VirtualBox – Error: Unable to insert the virtual optical...
  3. Win 10 activation on Virtualbox

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 activation on Virtualbox: Hi, I had a Win 7 which I've upgraded to Win 10 and inside that Win 10 I've instaled virtualbox with win 10 technical preview to see what's comming next. Not long ago I've bought ssd and I've done clean installation and because motherboard and cpu was the same there was no...
  4. 0x803f7001 Virtualbox Ubuntu host and Windows 10 guest

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    0x803f7001 Virtualbox Ubuntu host and Windows 10 guest: Hi, I bought my laptop with Win10 pre-installed but then I decided to remove it to install Ubuntu and then have my windows 10 running from a virtual machine (Virtualbox). Before removing original pre-installed W10, I downloaded the ISO file. After intalling ubuntu, I...
  5. VirtualBox Win10 guest Display issues

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VirtualBox Win10 guest Display issues: Hope this is the right place to post this. I am running Windows 10 Insider previews, 32 and 64,as a guest in Win7 host. When I have guest additions installed I only have 800x600 and 1024x768 available as screen resolutions. Auto resize does not work. I have no issues when...
  6. Virtualization suddenly gone? 64bit guest / 64bit host (VirtualBox)

Virtualization suddenly gone? 64bit guest / 64bit host (VirtualBox): Hopefully somebody here can help me. I've looked around everywhere to find a solution for this issue, but this problem differs from all the threads you can find in many forums around there: it already worked well for me *Sleepy My problem: I want to run a 64-bit virtual...
  7. How to activate Windows 10 guest in VirtualBox

How to activate Windows 10 guest in VirtualBox: I have updated my OS to Windows 10 which has been activated during the upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit. I have added Windows 10 as a guest in Virtualbox, how do I validate the Windows 10 guest? 25675
  8. Beta VirtualBox Guest Additions working

Beta VirtualBox Guest Additions working: If anyone is using VirtualBox the test version of guest additions 4.3.21.97986 from here Testbuilds – Oracle VM VirtualBox seems to work with build 9926. The display adapter driver now loads correctly (which doesn't work in the current 4.3.20 version). 4135
  9. virtualbox win 10 guest very slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    virtualbox win 10 guest very slow: Recently, I would like to upgrade virtualbox win 7 guest to win 10. After upgraded, I found that it is very slow and always high CPU (usually 40-100%). Is there a way to solve this issue? 105040
  10. Faster Windows 10 host with several Win 10 guests

in Windows 10 Support
    Faster Windows 10 host with several Win 10 guests: I run several windows 10 virtual machines at the same time on my workstation at work. Sometimes when they were idle, the the Disk IO would hit 100% due to windows defender doing a scan, etc... (checked via resource monitor) Well that would clobber the host and other VMs. And...