Windows 10: Win 10 AU may turn 'off' Virtual Memory

Discus and support Win 10 AU may turn 'off' Virtual Memory in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Just a note . . . while fixing the 'Restore' being turned off on my relatively old/slow mechanical HD machine, thought I should check to see if any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DaveGrant01, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Win 10 AU may turn 'off' Virtual Memory

Just a note . . . while fixing the 'Restore' being turned off on my relatively old/slow mechanical HD machine, thought I should check to see if any other global settings were altered by the AU, and found my Virtual Memory settings were altered to 'None/Off' for all but one of my old mechanical drives. Easy fix, but one that may affect performance on older machines . . . thanks for the 'heads-up' on global system setting changes, MS . . . . [not]. *sarc

:)

DaveGrant01, Aug 13, 2016
  2. LarryLACa Win User

Windows 10 (AU version 1607) Kernel Auto Boost Lock Acquisition with Raised IRQL Crash

Fixed! In the boot config data (BCD) badmemoryaccess was Yes. Setting this to No, in both the bootmanager and the boot loader items fixed my problem. Reset now cycles thru without the 'Kernel Auto Boost
    Lock Aquisition with Raised IRQL' crash.

As soon as I made this single change, reset became healthy. It's hard for me to believe my/a bad memory failure was coincident with the Win 10 AU update. I know this parameter was not set in Win8.1, I have
    no logs for Win 10 pre AU, but it's there in AU.

A full dump shows it's now set in {badmemory} which is inherited by most items. I'm reluctant to turn it off in {badmemory} because of the wide impact (e.g. for memory diag), but this looks to be the root
    cause.

Fixed from admin console with:

bcdedit /set {current} badmemoryaccess "No"

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} badmemoryaccess "No"

Definitely not related to driver updates..

much later.. Larry

LarryLACa, Aug 13, 2016
  3. Need tech help, can't get past virtual assistant

Dear Community,

A Win 10 upgrade failed. Tech support issued a case number (1391242030) and told me the problem was not their problem but a lack of drivers. The computer reverted to the previous version of Win 10. Now I cannot turn my computer off as the only options are
    "Upgrade and turn off" and "Upgrade and restart". I need to turn the computer off and as tech support said the upgrade could not be done I do not want to go back into black screen limbo.

Virtual assistant will not let me get a call back, book a call or chat. We just start again.

QUESTION: Is there another way short of calling Satya Nadella or other board members to get past virtual assistant and talk to a person even if they are in customer service rather than tech support?

Many thanks in advance. I need to lie down and lower my blood pressure (really). All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

P.s. The longer version of their advice was to go to Acer, get them to give me Win 8.1 drivers, delete Win 10 and install Win 8.1, then download Win 10 drivers and convert to Win 10, then download Win 10 upgrade drivers and download Win 10 upgrade. As Win
    10 works on my machine it is suspected this was a brush off. I have oodles of RAM, disc space etc. so memory limits are not applicable.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Microsoft talk to me please, Aug 13, 2016
Thema:

Win 10 AU may turn 'off' Virtual Memory

1. Win 10 AU may turn 'off' Virtual Memory - Similar Threads - may turn 'off'

2. Virtual memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual memory: Hello all hope every one is having a good Day/Night I have a Asus IntelR CoreTM i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz with 24 gig of ram With a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 TiI Play Games mostly on my pc like The Witcher series, Fallout series, Borderlands Series & Red Dead Redemption 2 ....
  3. Virtual memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual memory: Hello all hope every one is having a good Day/Night I have a Asus IntelR CoreTM i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz with 24 gig of ram With a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 TiI Play Games mostly on my pc like The Witcher series, Fallout series, Borderlands Series & Red Dead Redemption 2 ....
  4. Virtual memory

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Virtual Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Virtual Memory: I have a SSD 128gb and 1TB HDD.Should i set more VM on HDD does it make the pc run better or should i check the AUTOMATICALLY MANAGE PAGING FILE FOR ALL DRIVES Currently, i set Virtual memory like this :...
  6. Virtual memory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual memory: Hi guys, I'm trying to clear up some space on my SSD to install some games and I've noticed that my virtual memory is taking up 244GB !! I feel like this is highly irregular as all I can find online is about upping the virtual memory size. I'd like to reduce this, but I'm not...
  7. Virtual Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Virtual Memory: What is the recommended Virtual Memory for my laptop? https://1drv.ms/t/s!ApFhXMFCkw0wiARdOisNu01fep5C?e=Tg8mgY https://prnt.sc/qj9xpb Please tell..... Thanks & Regards, Regal76...
  8. How to turn off virtual desktops?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to turn off virtual desktops?: Hello, Since moving up from windows 7, i have noticed the ctrl + d +windows key= annoying, is there any way i can turn this off? 39147
  9. Win 10 AU . . . 'Beta'?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 AU . . . 'Beta'?: - Was this update supposed to be 'end product' . . . . or 'Beta' for final product? Yes, I really do not know. Anyone? 60288
  10. stuttering since Win 10 AU install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    stuttering since Win 10 AU install: Hello, My HP Envy laptop has been stuttering since the Anniversary Upgrade a few weeks ago. I ran LatencyMon, but don't know what to do with the results, which clearly show a problem. Can someone provide some guidance? Here's the LatencyMon report:...