Windows 10: Win 10, blocked updates due to disabled defender.

Discus and support Win 10, blocked updates due to disabled defender. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am experiencing a strange issue with the updates of Windows 10 due to the disabled Defender. I have installed AVAST Free which in turn has disabled... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by zanxion, Feb 10, 2016.

1. zanxion Win User

Win 10, blocked updates due to disabled defender.

I am experiencing a strange issue with the updates of Windows 10 due to the disabled Defender. I have installed AVAST Free which in turn has disabled the Defender. With the Defender disabled, the system tries to update it and fails, but it also blocks the rest of the updates.
    For now I have fixed this by uninstalling AVAST. Is there a workaround for this? Has anyone the same problem?

:)

zanxion, Feb 10, 2016
  2. JimYF Win User

windows defender won't update

Windows 10 cannot update defender if it is blocked by a third party virus program. Update then blocks other updates from loading because defender cannot be loaded. Please let me disable the defender updates so other programs can receive the updates.

JimYF, Feb 10, 2016
  3. GBorn Win User
    how to stop auto-update

Addendum to previous post: Disabling Update service isn't (imho) a good idea, becaus also Defender won't be updated.

You can use a Microsoft tool to hide individual updates affecting your system (see

How to block Windows 10 updates
    ).

Also in upcoming Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1704) you will be able to set WiFi and LAN to metered connections. This will prevent downloading updates via this connection.

GBorn, Feb 10, 2016
  4. mike s Win User

Sounds more like an issue with Avast, rather than the fact that it has disabled Defender.

I use Avira Free on lots of machines - which, of course, also disables Defender - and have no issue with installing or downloading updates.

I even did a couple of Windows 7 to 10 in-place upgrades with Avira Free already installed and active during the upgrade process (yes, I read that is a no-no). Not only did it work, but on the first boot Avira then announced that it detected a new OS and needed to perform a self-update for better Windows 10 compatability. Not a single hiccup related to antivirus running.

mike s, Feb 10, 2016
  5. Avast seems to have problems with Windows Updates, this from 2014. Maybe consider trying another AV?

TairikuOkami, Feb 10, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    These issues were sorted ages ago. Link was for Windows 8.1.

cereberus, Feb 10, 2016
  7. Obviously not, look at the post 1 or google, this was just an example, it had problems for years, has and will have.

TairikuOkami, Feb 10, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

This is just a suggestion. A suggestion which I myself use, for 3 years without security issues at all.
    I only use the built-in Windows Defender as my Real-Time protection and I have Malwarebytes free edition installed as my On-Demand Protection.
    Malwarebytes does not run until I open it and it stops after the scan.
    I run it once a week to make sure a clean bill of health.
    Like I said, I do that for 3 years.

I am sure many will recommend their favorite AV programs to you.
    You have to decide which way to go.
    Your computer, your decision.

davidhk, Feb 11, 2016
  9. zanxion Win User
    Thank you all! I have installed Avira Free and indeed the updates of the Defender and the OS are not blocked any more. I have been thinking too of just having the Defender and some anti-malware protection since my habits do not put me at a high infection risk, but somehow an all in one solution gives me a better sense of security.
    Thank you!

zanxion, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10, blocked updates due to disabled defender. - Similar Threads - blocked updates due

2. disable Windows defender SmartScreen win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disable Windows defender SmartScreen win 11: I have tried almost all of the suggestions I have found here and nothing works. I have a new laptop/WIN 11. I don't understand way it should be so difficult to remove this. You are interfering with the use of my computer. Can I please get some help that will allow me to...
  3. disable Windows defender SmartScreen win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disable Windows defender SmartScreen win 11: I have tried almost all of the suggestions I have found here and nothing works. I have a new laptop/WIN 11. I don't understand way it should be so difficult to remove this. You are interfering with the use of my computer. Can I please get some help that will allow me to...
  4. Any malware that could uninstal windows defender and block win updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any malware that could uninstal windows defender and block win updates?: The title says it all, my friends laptop just got its windef uninstalled and all the winupdates are blocked, I'm thinking the only solution here's a clean install, any thoughts? submitted by /u/hidden-47 [link] [comments]...
  5. Win 10 Defender definition updates.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Defender definition updates.: My Win 10 has become unable to find any new Defender virus definitions since 11/10/2020. I tried to trigger the update but it says my Windows is up to date. I have gone to the latest update, downloaded it and ran the updates. I runs and when finished, I check, and the...
  6. Disable Win 10 Updates - How To ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable Win 10 Updates - How To ?: I am furious at this point. I have researched and performed a vast number of setting changes to Win 10 in an attempt to stop updates. Nothing ... AND I MEAN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has worked. This has been going on for about 6 months trying to stop the updates. How do you...
  7. Windows 10 now blocks malware from disabling Microsoft Defender

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 now blocks malware from disabling Microsoft Defender: Windows 10 update is making it much harder for users to disable the Windows Defender and this is a good move on Microsoft’s part, according to the updated support documentation. By default, Windows Defender is installed on all versions and editions of Windows 10. It always...
  8. Unable to eject USB drives due to Win Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to eject USB drives due to Win Defender: Win 10 1909 Build:18363.859 Using Win 'Safe Remove' on my external USB drives no longer works due to an 'in use' failure. I installed "USB Safely Remove" and it displays a "cannot be stopped right now" failure: Process Name & File name: System...
  9. Windows 10 Firewall Blocks Defender Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Firewall Blocks Defender Update: Hi, all. I just joined minutes ago. My Windows 10 Firewall blocks my Defender from downloading new definitions (WTF???). It used to work fine. If I turn off Firewall, it updates no problem. I've created as many inbound and outbound rules as I can think of for all of the...
  10. Update and windows defender security blocked

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update and windows defender security blocked: Good morning I can not unlock the windows update, and consequently also the windows defender security block.The last update is 03/02/2019 from there it is blocked everything.I also tried to follow the guides but do not unlock nothing, and it's the second time that happens to...