Windows 10: Win 10 changed my healthy logical dive into a recovery partition

Discus and support Win 10 changed my healthy logical dive into a recovery partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I hope this can be reversed. I was using my machine normally when it suddenly went dead while using file explorer, no BSOD, just stopped, no cpu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nextenso, Oct 27, 2015.

1. nextenso Win User

Win 10 changed my healthy logical dive into a recovery partition

Hi, I hope this can be reversed.

I was using my machine normally when it suddenly went dead while using file explorer, no BSOD, just stopped, no cpu activity light, nothing responsive. I had to power off at the PSU and then re-start which it did.

A few hours later I went to access files on an external drive (a 300Gb Seagate) and it did not show in explorer.

I looked in the Windows Disk Management utility and saw my previously functioning drive is now listed as "Healthy (Recovery Partition)". Right click on the drive area gives "Help" as the only useless option. Right click on the disk description gives "Convert to dynamic disk" as the only ungreyed option and greyed out RAID configuration options. I don't have RAID enabled in BIOS, I did earlier this year.

I used this drive for backups *Rolleyes and I think I had an emergency boot from dos file set in a folder. Could Win have scanned that and re-configured ??

In Properties, it gives no indication of used and free space, and shows it as having a Master Boot Record partition style.

In 32 years of computers, I have not come across this before, so, do not know what to do to get my data back. Its one of several weird problems since doing a Win 7 to 10 upgrade *Mad

Any suggestions pleeeease.

Rgds Jonathan

:)

nextenso, Oct 27, 2015
  2. Willy9000 Win User

Windows 10 & Too many Recovery partitions

Disk Management displays:

• 300 MB Healthy (EFI System partition)
    • 900 MB Healthy (Recovery partition)
    • OS (CWin 10 changed my healthy logical dive into a recovery partition :) 184,97 GB Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash, Primary partition)
    • 912 MB Healthy (Recovery partition)
    • 450 MB Healthy (Recovery partition)
    • DATA (DWin 10 changed my healthy logical dive into a recovery partition :) 258,15 GB Healthy (Primary partition)
    • 20,01 GB Healthy (Recovery partition)
    It concerns an ASUS N750JV laptop that came with Windows 8 Home pre-installed, then upgraded to Windows 8.1. and finally to Windows 10.

One could assume that each Windows version created its own Recovery partition, so that could explain 3 Recovery partitions.

Usually I change the name of partition C: from OS (or often LOCAL) to for example Win 10 pr 64-bit, especially with it concern a dual or multi-boot computer.

Willy

Willy9000, Oct 27, 2015
  3. New Dell with Windows 10 - can't create recovery USB - can someone help?

Further investigation seems to indicate the following;

1. If you do a clean install of win 10 (meaning wiping the drive and installing), a hidden partition

of 450mg is created. Disk Management shows this partition as "Healthy Recovery". Again,

this partition is hidden.

2. If you do an upgrade of win 7 or win 8, 8.1 and you had no hidden recovery partition

created by Microsoft, you will not get one when you upgrade to Win 10.

I could be wrong, but you can't create a Recovery Drive if you don't have a hidden healthy 450mb

or larger recovery partition.

Can anyone confirm this?

snifferpro, Oct 27, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Try connecting another drive, such as a USB Flash drive first and then your hard disk to force it take a new drive letter. go to Disk Management and try to add a drive letter if it doesn't have already. Is the partition there FAT or NTFS? If it is unknown, maybe the partition information is corrupt and you need to scan it with a data recovery utility to detect and backup your files. After having successfully backed up your data, format it and restore the data and it should be fine.

spapakons, Oct 27, 2015
  5. nextenso Win User
    Hi Spapakons,

Sorry slow reply. Found my sudden shut down issues when changing screen was 3 capacitors on the GeForce video card starting to blow their tops. Built all my drives into a spare machine. The 'drive changed to a recovery partition' problem, of course, continues.

In the windows drive management utility, there is no option to change or assign a drive letter. All there is on right click on drive is 'Help'.

On the re-built machine, I ran the 'TestDisk' utility.

It shows that the drive as

On then running the next stage 'Search' in the drive, it reports

TestDisk says a report in first stage that a partition is unrecoverable does not mean that something can be recovered using the higher level functions. Continuing to the next stage for the partition it reports

I then ran the deep search function which looks at all the sector blocks, but, that did not find any files.

In the options in the last 'Quote' I was not sure whether to run any of the 'Change partition characteristics' or whether to use any of the Key options. That is beyond my level of knowledge.

Or is there a better recovery utility to use ???

What made Windows do this to a healthy functioning data drive ????

Rgds Jonathan

nextenso, Nov 2, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Would it help to set the partition type to NTFS before searching for data? I am not familiar with TestDisk. In GetDataBack sometimes more than one partition table are found. If there is any recoverable data, it is a matter of selecting the correct table to proceed to the next step. You may also be asked for the partition type, and set it to NTFS. Any other poster?

spapakons, Nov 2, 2015
  7. nextenso Win User
    Hi Spapakons, thanks for your help. I note the following for any with similar problems with lost data.

As the higher level aspects of disk formatting is not my expertise, I was not properly understanding how to use TestDisk, and looked for my lost data in the wrong sector/table thinking its data showed that had content. As you had suggested, I should have looked at the other part.

When I used the 'P' (List files) option on the sector that looked to me as empty, there were all my files *Biggrin *Redface and using the TestDisk copy function, I could copy all 181Gb and 87,000 files to another drive. I then used the delete function to remove all data, and in Windows Disk Management, was able to make it into a simple volume again and assign a drive letter. Fully functioning drive back in use *Smile

For those with similar problems, TestDisk is brilliant and has enough what to do info for those less than expert. As OpenSource ware, it is excellent TestDisk - Partition Recovery and File Undelete.

I was directed to TestDisk by this thread, who also gives good instructions on use TestDisk and extended recovery actions. He was helping me with an earlier problem when Windows made one of my RAID drives into RAW format (which turned out to be caused by the mobo cell battery going flat and BIOS losing data and time/date reference)

http://html5.litten.com/updated-how-...ly-became-raw/

For info to check the health of all sectors in a drive, James Litten directed me to OpenSource GSmartControl which uses some of the SmartOn functions GSmartControl :: Home & News

Hope all this helps others and thanks for your time Spapakons.

Rgds Jonathan

nextenso, Nov 3, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

You are welcome! *Thumbs

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 changed my healthy logical dive into a recovery partition - Similar Threads - changed healthy logical

2. Recovery Partition Not Showing As "Healthy" in Computer Management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Partition Not Showing As "Healthy" in Computer Management: See attached screenshot.Background - I replaced the original NVMe with a larger one, by cloning the original C: drive to the new NVMe. Everything appears to be working correctly - the system boots, etc. The usage of the Recovery Partition also appears correct. However, in the...
  3. Recovery Partition Not Showing As "Healthy" in Computer Management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Partition Not Showing As "Healthy" in Computer Management: See attached screenshot.Background - I replaced the original NVMe with a larger one, by cloning the original C: drive to the new NVMe. Everything appears to be working correctly - the system boots, etc. The usage of the Recovery Partition also appears correct. However, in the...
  4. Which "Healthy Recovery partitions" to delete

in Windows 10 Support
    Which "Healthy Recovery partitions" to delete: Hello I have a Surface pro Gen 1 (quite old but still doing great) running Win 10. It only has a 64GB SSD, so I need every bit of space I can get on there. There is currently 5 healthy recovery partitions at over 10gb. I would like to hang on to the repair partition, however...
  5. Resizing Partition after cloning but healthy recovery partition is in the way.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Resizing Partition after cloning but healthy recovery partition is in the way.: Hi all. I'm looking all over and I can't get an answer on this: I cloned my OS drive on my SSD to an M.2 drive. The SSD was 500gb. My M.2 drive is 1tb. I now have almost 500gb of unallocated space. The problem is this: There is my C drive, a 'recovery partition',...
  6. Recovering Healthy Partitions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recovering Healthy Partitions: During this morning's Window's update, my backup drive lost 3 out of 4 partitions. It rebooted and all of a sudden, three partitions were no more. The data is there, the drive letters show up, but if you try to access them, it wants to reformat the partition. I have run it...
  7. How to recover Healthy Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to recover Healthy Recovery Partition: Hi, I want to delete the Healthy Recovery Partition because it's in the way of C drive and some free unallocated space. After I delete it and merge the unallocated space and with the C drive how can I add back a Healthy Recovery Partition? submitted by /u/SingleHouse...
  8. Healthy EFI Sytem Partition and Healthy Recovery partition next to my C drive - Unable to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Healthy EFI Sytem Partition and Healthy Recovery partition next to my C drive - Unable to...: I have a HP Pavilion with Windows 10. My C drive has only 35 GB free out of 161 GB. I was looking to extend my C drive but the extend volume option is greyed out. When I checked the Disk Management I have one health partition to the left of my C drive and one health partition...
  9. Healthy (EFI System Partition) and OEM Healthy Partition)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Healthy (EFI System Partition) and OEM Healthy Partition): HI my HDD have 6 partitions,my question is ;one of the partitions is (EFI System Partition) and other is OEM healthy Partition,I don't know what is in it,Iwonder if i can see what is in it?and what hapen if i delete this partition whithout damage my windows or my recovery...
  10. Is my Recovery partition Win 8 or Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is my Recovery partition Win 8 or Win 10?: I am doing some OS maintenance on friends Surface Pro 2 currently running Win 10 Pro x64. One of the things I want to do is implement a backup process using Macrium Reflect. The HDD has a Recovery partition on it of around 6GB (full) but I don't know whether it's current...