Windows 10: Win 10 changed my user name (Mail issue?)

Discus and support Win 10 changed my user name (Mail issue?) in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I am looking around Windows 10 after my Win 7 upgrade. I opened the Mail tile and thought I would give it a try. I put 3 accounts into it, one... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by megabyte, Oct 17, 2015.

1. megabyte Win User

Win 10 changed my user name (Mail issue?)

I am looking around Windows 10 after my Win 7 upgrade.

I opened the Mail tile and thought I would give it a try. I put 3 accounts into it, one being my Hotmail account. I have decided I will not be using Mail and will stick to my usual routine. I deleted 2 accounts but cannot delete the Hotmail account. I use this account strictly for spam and use a fake name.

On my next boot up, my user name has changed to the fake Hotmail name and I have to sign in with my hotmail password. Looking at File Explorer, my User name and Dropbox has also changed to that name. If I right click on that user name, there is 'Scan User 1' which is the name I used to use.

- I want to delete that account on Mail
    - I also want to revert back to User 1 and to not have to sign in. All of my (many) back-ups are User 1 and I am not happy about this
    - another change on boot up is that it starts with a clock and picture, like a screen saver. If I click on any key it will go to the sign in page. I do not have a screen saver in my options and my other laptop does not do this. How can I get rid of that please

:)

megabyte, Oct 17, 2015

2. How can I change username in Windows Mail

Windows 10 mail stopped sending email. I believe the server data has changed and the old data suddenly died. To change this data I need to change my account data. When I get to the changing sync page my user name is grey and the Advanced Settings is absent.
    How do I get rid of the grey user name (which is my e-mail address)? Then the Advanced Settings will probably appear. My e-mail is with Bellsouth (at&t).

Thanks for your help.

TedFields1, Oct 17, 2015
  3. SteveJWV Win User
    Issues with changin the Computer name on Windows 10.

Original Title: Computer name

orginally had win 8. when purchased store setup and transferred files from old computer for me. But they set up computer name which is wrong. I have upgraded to win 10. computer is working fine. User name are OK. But want to change computer name from what
    store originally setup. Went to reigistry and changed store name to what wanted. But in users it still shows original mame that store put on my computer. How to fix so that computer name can show name wanted?

SteveJWV, Oct 17, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

5. megabyte Win User
    Switch back to local account? Will this revert everything to the way it was before I put that Hotmail account into Mail?

megabyte, Oct 17, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    As you described what has happened, it looks that you have switched your local account to an MS account (accidentally, maybe, but by yourself; Windows does not do it without your acceptance).

You can check if your user account is now an MS Account by going to Settings > Accounts:

Win 10 changed my user name (Mail issue?) [​IMG]

According to your post, this is your case. Your original local account has been switched to an MS Account. Following the instructions in the tutorial I mentioned, your original local account will be restored.

7. megabyte Win User
    The only way this could have happened I think was by adding that account to Mail. I could not delete the account from Mail at all. The next time I booted up the problem started.

Anyway, I did as you suggested and so far all looks normal. Next I am going to try to delete the Microsoft account. http://www.howtogeek.com/227763/how-to-completely-delete-your-microsoft-account/
    I will wait a few hours first in case you think this will cause major problems somehow.

megabyte, Oct 17, 2015
  8. megabyte Win User

I just removed the Microsoft account in Mail. All is well!

Thank you Kari

megabyte, Oct 17, 2015
  9. Just for those who find this thread, my current understanding from experience is if you first install Windows 10 and not use a Microsoft email address [with hotmail, outlook or live etc.], but just create a username, then you have created a "Local Account". However as soon as you use Windows 10 Mail with a microsoft email address within your local account, then Windows automatically links that with the local account, and you can use that email address and password to sign into Windows 10, which is then referred to as a "Microsoft Account". Then as you found, which I do not agree with btw, for you do not seem to have any choice in the matter, Windows creates or changes your user folder's name to your email address username.

If it has a split name e.g., L: deadly.eddy@notmail.gom, the folder will be named "deadly" without the ".eddy" part, [note that I purposely changed the hotmail with notmail and com for gom for spam purpose]. If the email address has just one word as the username, then the folder will be named that username e.g., a hotmail email address named L: deadly@notmail.gom the user folder will be named "deadly".

xychromosone, Mar 5, 2017
  10. Kari Win User
    A year and a half since last post, now some wrong information that needs to be corrected.

When installing or setting up a pre-installed Windows 10 Home, Single Language or Pro edition, you can choose if you want to set it up with a local account or a Microsoft account. See tutorial: Windows 10 - Clean Install (step 21 for Microsoft account, step 22 for local account).

Wrong.

When signed in to Windows with a local account and setting up any Windows app that requires a Microsoft account, user can select if he / she wants to continue to sign in to Windows using the original local account and only sign in to that app with Microsoft account, or to convert the whole Windows user account to a Microsoft account.

For instance when a local account user sets up an email account in Mail app, setup will show this prompt:

User can clearly make a selection, by entering a password and clicking Next user converts his / her current local account used to sign-in to Windows to a Microsoft account.

However, as is also clearly shown in prompt, user can select "Sign in to just this app instead". Choosing this option would set up Mail app with user's email account but let user continue to sign in to Windows with a local account.

Wrong.

Windows never changes the user profile name, nor does it change the name of the user profile folder in C:\Users.

An example: A user sets up Windows 10 using a local account John. His user profile and folder will be named as John. Later on this user decides to convert, switch to a Microsoft account L: Top.Gamer@AnyEmailProvider.com. He would now sign in to Windows using Microsoft account L: Top.Gamer@AnyEmailProvider.com but his user profile folder would still be C:\Users\John.

A bit later the same user decides to switch back to a local account and changes his username to Larry. Now he would sign in to Windows using local account name Larry, but his user profile would still be in C:\Users\John.

Note Name of the user profile remains the original one regardless how many times username will be changed or how many times users switches between local and Microsoft accounts .
    Partly wrong.

If a new user account is created using a Microsoft account, the user profile name will be a five character abbreviation made from the part of the email address before the @ sign.

For instance in case of your example, the user profile folder would be named as deadl (five characters). User L: john.doe@SomeEmailProvider.com would get user profile folder named as johnd, user L: joe.doe@AnotherEmailProvider.com as joedo.

However, if user had a local account named as TheMonsterGamer when he switches to Microsoft account L: xyz@AndAgainSomeEmail.com, his / her user profile would remain as TheMonsterGamer.

Note
    • Setting up Windows with a local account = user profile folder will be named exactly as user account name, and it keeps this name through all username changes and if user switches to a Microsoft account
    • Setting up Windows with a Microsoft account = user profile folder will be named with a five character abbreviation, and it keeps this name through all username changes and if user switches to a local account
    • Short: user profile name and user folder name will never be changed when username is changed or user switches from local account to a Microsoft account or vice versa

Thema:

1. Win 10 changed my user name (Mail issue?) - Similar Threads - changed user name

2. 09/2022 Win 11 user name change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    09/2022 Win 11 user name change: It is now September 2022. My laptop is updated with the latest version of win 11You can change the current user name only through netplwiz BUT the value for the path C:\Users\OldName\Documents is NOT updated!Trivial, NOI am migrating from an old laptop to a new laptop where I...
  3. Changing user name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing user name: I have installed windows 10 on my virtual machine recently, and my user name shows "Abhij" which is a part of my name "Abhijith kalwakol", I had this issue so I changed my name on the Microsoft account page to "Abhi k" and reinstalled a new Windows 10 virtual machine, but...
  4. Win 10 Mail Issues

in Browsers and Email
    Win 10 Mail Issues: Tried to do this once before but had a similar time during the process. New install of Win 10 on a New SSD drive (good time for a complete refresh. Also added more memory to this aging laptop. Win 10 is up to date and I have a fully operational Win 10 Desktop to refer to....
  5. Change win 10 user name

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change win 10 user name: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Danny1801 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i0ur6g/change_win_10_user_name/
  6. Win10 Mail: Can't change my mailing name

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Mail: Can't change my mailing name: Hi, I need some help with changing my mailing name. So around 2 weeks ago everything was fine, I could send an email and the recipient would see my name and surname. Now whenever I send an email it displays my nickname that I use for other mailboxes. I can see how this could...
  7. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  8. User folder name changes issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User folder name changes issue: I have renamed folder name in user folder in windows 10 Home edition but the problem is whenever I reset windows, old name comes back automatically. Is there any solution for this? I want to change this folder name permanently....
  9. Windows 10 changed my user name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 changed my user name: I upgraded from Win 7 a few weeks back, but it ran painfully slow and I didn't have the time to get into it, so I went back to 7 using my latest image file. Now that I do have some time - I did the upgrade and clean install method, no speed issues whatsoever now. During...
  10. Change User Name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change User Name: Hi all. I'd like to change the user name still in the picture to something else. How do I go about doing that? Going to bed now. Will check tomorrow afternoon. TIA, Steven [img] 77239