Windows 10: Win 10 clean install doesn't recognize primary drive

Discus and support Win 10 clean install doesn't recognize primary drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, My husband has an ASUS G752VT with a 256 SSD primary drive and a 1TB secondary drive. We are trying to do a clean install of Windows because of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Winginsue, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Winginsue Win User

Win 10 clean install doesn't recognize primary drive

Hi,
    My husband has an ASUS G752VT with a 256 SSD primary drive and a 1TB secondary drive. We are trying to do a clean install of Windows because of serious issues he's had with things not working. When the install got to the window of where to install the product, the SSD didn't show at all. Only the secondary drive.

Any suggestions as to why this may have happened? We were able to do a Windows repair install that seems to have corrected the issues he was having but should there be a need in the future, I would sure like to have a clue before it's needed.

Thank you so much in advance.

:)

Winginsue, Oct 24, 2017

2. Dual Boot Windows 10 on two hard drives not working

Hi Sudharshan, thank you for your reply.

So I wasn't seeing a screen on startup but having implemented option 1 from the link you posted I now get that screen as I used to before upgrading to windows 10. Unfortunately I only get one option which is the windows 10 installation on my second drive.
    The primary drive doesn't show up at all. If you try option 2 from that link there is only one OS on the drop down list.

Both drives have Windows 10. My primary drive is not recognized as having an OS. Currently the secondary drive is at the top of the boot sequence. If you put the primary drive at the top of the boot sequence then it asks me to "insert media and press any
    key to continue".

Nothing has been formatted or deleted. I installed Windows 7 on one drive then upgraded, and the secondary drive OS wasn't recognized, and then when I installed W7 on the secondary drive and upgraded the primary drive OS wasn't recognized. Everything worked
    fine before.

Many thanks.

CharlesPateman, Oct 24, 2017
  3. Borange60 Win User
    cd rom not working after windows 10 installation

Win 7 recognized Pioneer DVR-212DBK (DVD drive) but after Win 10 upgrade, drive not visible and doesn't work. (no changes in hardware) Tried steps above but no change. Compatibility page for win 10 says drive is compatible.

Borange60, Oct 24, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If the SSD is an M.2 type interface, there may be a driver required at boot time for Windows to see the interface the SSD is connected to. Have you looked at the ASUS support website for an interface driver?

You could also try my method posted as a quote in the middle of the OP on this thread:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

It might be possible that booting into Kyhi's Recovery Tools would load a driver to enable the SSD, and then Windows setup run from there might pick it up.

Yep, I just looked. The SSD is on an NVMe interface, which I believe is going to require a driver to be used with Windows setup. Probably the Chipset Driver from ASUS website.

NavyLCDR, Oct 24, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    When installing remove the second drive lead often windows willl load boot files to the wrong drive

Samuria, Oct 24, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    When possible please post into the thread using one drive or drop box share links:

3) msinfo32

In left lower corner search type msinfo32 > wait 5 minutes for it to load > save to desktop as NFO so that when we view it it is in the same form as you view it on the computer.

4) dxdiag

In left lower corner search type dxdixg > wait 5 minutes for it to load > save to desktop > use share link to post into thread.

or run this DM log collector which will automatically collect the above and additional files (event viewer etc.) for troubleshooting:
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 clean install doesn't recognize primary drive - Similar Threads - clean install doesn't

2. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  3. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  4. External USB drives not recognized after Win 10 clean install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB drives not recognized after Win 10 clean install: I just reinstalled Windows 10 Pro (newest version 2004) on my Dell i5 PC. This was a clean install to a reformatted drive C partition, part of a 240Gb SSD. I also have a second internal HD of 4Tb, which is partitioned into 4 1Tb drives. Prior to the reinstall, both Seagate...
  5. CLEAN INSTALL OF WIN 10

CLEAN INSTALL OF WIN 10: Attn: Greg Carmack Greg: I am studying your tutorial on doing a CLEAN INSTALL to try to familiarize my self with the process. Your instructions are quite simple to understand but I am getting confused on the link to the article about File History. This is what I understand...
  6. Clean install win 10

Clean install win 10: Hey, I have a toshiba satellite computer. a week ago the computer got into the automatic repair loop. After trying some methods i understood that my only option is to clean install win 10 again. So, i used Rufus to make a bootable usb and when the installation got atarted i...
  7. clean install win 10

clean install win 10: cannot create a partition or find an existing one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-win-10/72c073f8-1a63-4866-b133-7559ced90d03
  8. Clean install of win 10 ?

Clean install of win 10 ?: Hi guys;i could never do a Clean a install of win10 preview on my PC's from a DVD ISO, i get stuck here, see pic; although i can upgrade from win 7 to win 10. the DVD ISO i made was from MS. Image codes: DSC02178 4374
  9. Install clean Win 10

Install clean Win 10: Hello I used the media creation tool which I had burned to dvd to install win 10 after uupgradingfrom 8.1. I paid strict attention to any place like adv or apply to delete the partitions but found none. I did tell it to bring "nothing" forward in the process. The pc works...
  10. Clean install Win 10

Clean install Win 10: Initial state of machine - Machine Lenovo AIO, win10 home 64bit UEFI Created DVD and USB via media creation tool 64bit win 10 home and booted into both media they load as far as getting all files then reboots. System created 4 partions Disc map on 2TB disc. Partion size...