Windows 10: Win 10 Clean install problem

Discus and support Win 10 Clean install problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, new member seeking help. I removed a bad HDD, noisy but working, and replaced it with an SSD and tried a few times to install Win 10 without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AD123, Jan 22, 2018.

1. AD123 Win User

Win 10 Clean install problem

Hi, new member seeking help.

I removed a bad HDD, noisy but working, and replaced it with an SSD and tried a few times to install Win 10 without success. It completes then says it will reboot in 10 seconds and when it does it starts the process over and over. I did a lot of searching w/o no luck. I tried removing the USB stick during the 10 second delay before the reboot with no luck. I get a black screen telling me there is no OS.

What I did observe is that when I start the installation I get to the screen to do a custom install and tell it to install on the 0 disk,. Normally it will tell you it needs to create other partitions for windows to operate properly. I don't get that message, and it doesn't create the small partitions before C:. I believe that is the problem, its the fix I can't figure out.

Thanks

:)

AD123, Jan 22, 2018

2. Reset my Windows 10 PC went back to Windows 8.1

I have this same problem. I upgraded some time ago to Win 10. Recently used 'reset this PC' clean install and it reset to Win 8.1. Now my problem is not 'performing a clean instal using Reset this PC in Win 10' - but how to make this (now) Win 8.1 machine
    retrieve its upgrade to Win 10.

StephenMartin6, Jan 22, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 8.1 - Error Code 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 - Failed in the SAFE_OS Phase

Have installed Win 10 on two laptops running Win 8.1 Pro with no problems. When trying to install on my desktop I keep getting "The installation failed in the Safe_OS phase with an error during Boot operation" I have gone back and did a clean install
    of Win 8 Pro then a clean upgrade to Win 8.1 Pro. No problems. Windows 10 however will not install. Anyone have answers?

Joseph JFurtenbacher, Jan 22, 2018
  4. AddRAM Win User

Explain how you are booting from the usb stick, did you make any changes in the Bios, or are you using the 1 time boot menu and choosing the usb stick ?

AddRAM, Jan 22, 2018
  5. essenbe Win User
    Hello AD123 and welcome to the Forums. During the process choose Custom Install. When you get to the 'Where do you want to install Windows', delete all partitions on the drive you want to install Windows on until the whole drive says unallocated. Highlight that drive and press next. The installation will start then. When the computer reboots, during the reboot, remove the USB drive. You may want to read through this and see if it helps you. Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

essenbe, Jan 22, 2018
  6. AD123 Win User
    Thanks for the replies. I must have installed Win 10 at least 20 times before, and never encountered this issue. I have the BIOS set to boot from the USB stick, with the HDD just below that. I've also tried installing it from a DVD setting the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD drive. I do the custom install, delete all partitions and let it do its thing. Every installation I've done it tells me something like Windows will create additional partitions for the OS to work, or something along those lines. In this case it isn't, and I know it didn't create them because I removed the drive, put it in a docking station and see only one partition on the drive, with no smaller partitions in front of it.

I used the one time boot menu, and then changed it to boot only from USB, both to no avail. Removing the USB stick during the ten second warning before the final reboot yields a black screen with there is no OS message after the reboot.

I hope that makes sense, and thanks again for the help!

AD123, Jan 22, 2018
  7. essenbe Win User
    Try dong the same thing, but when you get the drive unallocated, instead of pressing next, press new. That should create the partitions right there and you can see them. The installer will automatically select the right partition to install to. Then press next.

Perhaps I am failing to understand about booting to the USB. You seem to indicate you can't boot from the USB. I thought you could because most of your problem seemed to be installing.

essenbe, Jan 22, 2018
  8. AD123 Win User

Sorry for any confusion, booting from the USB stick is not the issue, nor is booting from a DVD. I watch it go through all the steps, right to the very end. Once complete there is no OS, according to the message displayed on the black screen.

I've also tried hitting the yellow star to create a new partition, and all it does is creates one partitons, and no mention of the smaller partitions. I believe my problem lies in the fact that it is only creating one partition, nothing else.

AD123, Jan 22, 2018
  9. essenbe Win User
    Also, do you have an MBR BIOS or a UEFI? In your one time boot menu you should have 2 entries for your USB. One will name your USB, ie Kingston USB Drive, (if you are using a Kingston USB drive). The other will say UEFI Kingston USB Drive. If you have an MBR BIOS, chose just the Kingston USB, if you have a UEFI BIOS select the UEFI Kingston USB. Again, that is if you have a Kingston USB. It should name which USB it is if it can determine it, otherwise it will just say generic USB.

essenbe, Jan 22, 2018
  10. AD123 Win User
    It is not creating the System Reserved Partition, only C:

AD123, Jan 22, 2018
  11. essenbe Win User
    Are you sure the drive says unallocated? If there is a partition there, it will put the System files on the C drive and there will be no System Reserved.. If there is no partition (unallocated) it should create a System reserved partition and a C drive.

It should work either way, but you will be better off, most likely, with the System Reserved.

essenbe, Jan 22, 2018
  12. essenbe Win User
    This is what you want it to look like before you start the install.

Win 10 Clean install problem [​IMG]

essenbe, Jan 22, 2018
  13. AD123 Win User

Yes, it looks exactly like that.

AD123, Jan 22, 2018
  14. essenbe Win User
    OK, where did you download the ISO from and what method did you use to create the USB?

essenbe, Jan 22, 2018
  15. AD123 Win User
    I used the Media Creation tool from Microsoft's website, and did it on a USB stick. I used the USB stick to install Win 10 on my nephew's PC yesterday. The install went w/o a hitch.

AD123, Jan 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Clean install problem - Similar Threads - Clean install problem

2. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  3. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  4. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. CLEAN INSTALL OF WIN 10

CLEAN INSTALL OF WIN 10: Attn: Greg Carmack Greg: I am studying your tutorial on doing a CLEAN INSTALL to try to familiarize my self with the process. Your instructions are quite simple to understand but I am getting confused on the link to the article about File History. This is what I understand...
  6. Clean install win 10

Clean install win 10: Hey, I have a toshiba satellite computer. a week ago the computer got into the automatic repair loop. After trying some methods i understood that my only option is to clean install win 10 again. So, i used Rufus to make a bootable usb and when the installation got atarted i...
  7. clean install win 10

clean install win 10: cannot create a partition or find an existing one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-win-10/72c073f8-1a63-4866-b133-7559ced90d03
  8. Clean install of win 10 ?

Clean install of win 10 ?: Hi guys;i could never do a Clean a install of win10 preview on my PC's from a DVD ISO, i get stuck here, see pic; although i can upgrade from win 7 to win 10. the DVD ISO i made was from MS. Image codes: DSC02178 4374
  9. Install clean Win 10

Install clean Win 10: Hello I used the media creation tool which I had burned to dvd to install win 10 after uupgradingfrom 8.1. I paid strict attention to any place like adv or apply to delete the partitions but found none. I did tell it to bring "nothing" forward in the process. The pc works...
  10. Clean install Win 10

Clean install Win 10: Initial state of machine - Machine Lenovo AIO, win10 home 64bit UEFI Created DVD and USB via media creation tool 64bit win 10 home and booted into both media they load as far as getting all files then reboots. System created 4 partions Disc map on 2TB disc. Partion size...