Windows 10: Win 10 clean install question

Discus and support Win 10 clean install question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I fudged up and forgot to @ the person I was intending the message at *chuckle Still worth adding my observations though while we're comparing Macrium... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bree, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Bree New Member

Win 10 clean install question

Still worth adding my observations though while we're comparing Macrium vs. MS imaging. MS does do high compression, but only for DVD. Macrium wins hands-down on flexibility and giving the user control.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
  2. emtor Win User

I just downloaded the Win 10 iso file from Microsoft, burned it to a DVD and and the computer booted from it just fine. But,- this is a HP Pavilion Notebook, and I'm wondering about drivers. Does the Win10 iso come with these drivers onboard? I would hate to perform a clean install only to find out that evertyhing goes south due to missing drivers.

I've done clean installs a hundred times, but that was in the day were you either had the installation CD's/dvd's that came with the computer or you could burn installation DVD's from the system (as in Win7).

:)

emtor, Apr 12, 2018
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Another Win 10 Clean Install Question

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

The issue you have posted would be better suited in the
    TechNet Forums. I would recommend posting your query in the link below.

Technet forums - Windows 10 Insider Preview Setup and Installation

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Apr 12, 2018
  4. Win 10 clean install question

Another Win 10 Clean Install Question

I do a lot of clean installs for people. In many instances they have no idea what version of Win 10 they have(Home Or Pro). I have the .iso that has multi versions. My question is...How will the boot disk know what version to install Home Or Pro? With
    Win 10 you are no longer tied to a serial with the free upgrade. It activates based on the hardware check it does at activation. The clean install is way before activation. How does it know which one to activate then? Or how would I find out which version
    they had if the system is unbootable and they have no idea what it had even before the upgrade to 10? Thanks.

Jeff Boyer, Apr 12, 2018
  5. flybynite Win User
    Do you currently have Windows 10 installed?

flybynite, Apr 12, 2018
  6. emtor Win User
    Yes, win 10 is currently installed.

emtor, Apr 12, 2018
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    The ISO will contain the basic drivers to get you up and running, and then check for any missing or newer drivers that have passed WHQL. They may not be the absolutely latest and/or best for your machine or setup, but it's usually a pretty decent starting setup. Then, it's best to check your vendors' sites for any specific updates you could benefit from. Avoid 3rd party Driver Update Utilities! They are a plague! Stick with MS and your vendors.

f14tomcat, Apr 12, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

The install is usually pretty good at finding suitable drivers. As a precaution, just in case you need them, you can back up the existing drivers as per this tutorial....

Backup and Restore Device Drivers in Windows 10

9. flybynite Win User
    If I were you I would do the clean install online connected to ethernet, and not WIFI. When Windows goes to first boot, it will search for any missing drivers.

flybynite, Apr 12, 2018
  10. emtor Win User
    Good to hear, thanks.

emtor, Apr 12, 2018
  11. emtor Win User
    I'll do that, my WIFI quits from time to time, although it's seldom. Wouldn't want it to quit in the middle of the install.

emtor, Apr 12, 2018
  12. lx07 Win User
    As long as you make a backup before you start (either a specific driver backup as @Bree mentioned above or any sort of system image) you can restore any drivers from there if you need to. For example if you made a Macrium backup you could mount the image, then go to device manager and update anything with a yellow triangle by pointing to the Windows directory in your backup as the driver source.

Probably you will not need to but better safe than sorry.

13. zbook New Member

Installing drivers or re-installing drivers using HP computer's is relatively easy.
    HP has software which will download and install most of the drivers automatically.
    After a clean install download and install from the HP website either:
    a) HP support assistant
    or
    b) HP softpaq download manager
    The HP support assistant is for both consumer and business computers.
    The HP softpaq download managers is mostly for the business line of computers.

Each of the HP software will indicate which software needs to downloaded manually.

HP SoftPaq Download Manager Release Notes | HP Client Management Solutions
    HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7) | HP® Customer Support

zbook, Apr 12, 2018
  14. emtor Win User
    Just wondering,- I made an image of the current system,-it used 5 dvd's, about 64 gigs.
    The Win 10 iso-file I downloaded used only 1 dvd when I burned it.
    How can that be?

emtor, Apr 12, 2018
  15. flybynite Win User
    You probably have programs installed, but it also uses different compression.

flybynite, Apr 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 clean install question - Similar Threads - clean install question

2. Clean Install Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install Question: Hi All Do i just stick in a Ei.cfg or a PID into my flash drive sources folder prior to a clean install of 1809 or 1903 in the future? i know if i do a system clean install of 1809, then later upgrade to 1903, then i'll avoid i think the Reserved storage coming with it....
  3. Clean install question

Clean install question: About to do a clean install on a PC that has 10 on it and activated. It was a windows 7 machine that had the free 10 offer installed. Will it activate when the clean install is complete? I thought the key was embedded but not sure. When I get to where to install it, can I...
  4. Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions

Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions: Hi, I had a question for the experts here prior to doing a Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD. Background – My 7-year-old PC came with pre-installed Win 7 Home Basic that I upgraded to Win 10 during the free offer. I used Windows 10 for a couple months before the power...
  5. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: I have a slight twist on the clean install question. Could not find a clear answer on the forum or the internets. Win 7 pro computer (homebuilt) 1. Get current win 7 installation up to date and cleaned up. 2. Remove Win 7 OS SSD 3. Put in clean formatted SSD 4. Clean...
  6. Clean install questions

Clean install questions: Hello I need some help/confirmation on what I intend to do in the near future. I am currently a windows insider on the slow ring and I have build 14342 installed, I want to get out of the insider program (I know how to do that in settings) but it raises a few questions....
  7. Clean install questions

Clean install questions: I just upgraded my computer from 7 to 10 from the free upgrade using windows update. I now want to do my clean install but have a couple questions before i do it. The first is about activating i read somewhere that you can use your windows 7 key with the new build. So do i...
  8. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: I read that a clean install rebuilds partitions and makes a recovery partition. My question is does it allow you to pick the size of the partition that Windows 10 is installed to ? I have a 1 terabyte drive but like to install in a 100gig partition. I think I will...
  9. Clean install question

Clean install question: I am about to do a clean install windows 10. The hard drive has 3 partitions and all on it is wacked. Should I pull the drive and make a single partition or will the install do it? 100595
  10. Clean install question.

Clean install question.: It's been stated that after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10. Does anyone know yet how this will happen? Will Microsoft provide a link to download the .iso or will it be a case of converting the esd to iso. I've...