Windows 10: Win 10 Crashed am now back on Win8.1 Need to get back to Win 10.

Discus and support Win 10 Crashed am now back on Win8.1 Need to get back to Win 10. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After a computer crash on Win 10 the computer started up on Win8.1. I had a backup of 8.1 on G drive ( a hard drive partition). The computer renamed my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tonyclo, May 29, 2016.

1. tonyclo Win User

Win 10 Crashed am now back on Win8.1 Need to get back to Win 10.

After a computer crash on Win 10 the computer started up on Win8.1. I had a backup of 8.1 on G drive ( a hard drive partition). The computer renamed my G drive as C drive and the previous C drive (with Win 10) as G drive. So I now need to get the Win 10 drive back in the drivers seat as C drive.Any ideas on how I can do this?

:)

tonyclo, May 29, 2016

2. recovery of my old version of windows will help me to get my genuin win back if my upgraded win 10 corrupts?

hello,,i am using win 8.1 registered...I have its recovery on an USB so as to be able to get my genuine windows back if my windows crashes...I want to upgrade my windows to win 10...my question is "recovery on my usb will help me to get back my win 8.1
    if the upgraded (win 10) crashes"?

NaimatUllahkhan, May 29, 2016
  3. Re-install windows 10 after hdd crash.

Got my win10 upgrade and it was running just fine, but suddenly my hard disk crashed.

Changed my HDD but now i am back to win 7(home basic) service pack 1. Since i don't have any recovery or back up files, how do i get my win 10 back?

System is DELL INSPIRON N4110.

Need help!!!

RishabhJohri, May 29, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

open a command prompt (admin) and type

Bcdboot G:\Windows

reboot and you should get two windows boot options Win8.1 and win10

5. tonyclo Win User
    Thanks for your good advice. It would have worked accept that Win finds the disk in need of repair. Must be a corrupted program as the disk checks out OK. Win is not able to repair the disk. Appreciate any advise on repair programs or I will have to reformat and so lose my installed programs. The G disk is an SSD.

tonyclo, May 29, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Run chkdsk g: /r from a Elevated Command Prompt under 8.1 to correct any file system corruption caused by the initial crash.

See if that fixes the problem.

Ztruker, May 31, 2016
  7. aftend89 Win User
    I had the same, you can redownload kb for Win 10 install it and wait your turn.

aftend89, May 31, 2016
  8. tonyclo Win User

tried the chkdisc and found no problems. Don't understand the kb for windows. Thanks for your respose

tonyclo, Jun 2, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can use a program such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Free or Macrium Reflect Free to copy the current C: drive partition to your G: drive partition. Then the command in Post #2 will add it to the boot menu as a second Windows 8.1, which you should be able to boot into. Then do the upgrade again to Windows 10 on it. You can upgrade from a Windows 10 installation drive made with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (or just upgrade from the Media Creation Tool itself):
    Windows 10

Be advised, though, that with only 1 license for Windows (whether it is Windows 8.1 or the upgraded Windows 10), you are allowed to only have 1 installation of Windows activated in accordance with the End User's License Agreement. Your "backup" copy of Windows needs to be removed from the computer and stored solely as a backup, not installed as dual booting.

NavyLCDR, Jun 2, 2016
  10. tonyclo Win User
    Thanks for your advise. I have downloaded both those programs. My problem is that I do not want to override the G drive (previous C) which is not partitioned, as I am trying to preserve programs previously installed. I now have both drives on Win 10 but if I try the bcd boot command the system shuts down. Reason is an error on the G drive - which was the original problem - that does not allow it to boot. This is why the computer switched to the 8.1 drive. The error showing is problem with Windows\system32\winload.exe error 0xo0000225. You must be tired of this case but if you know how I can fix this I would appreciate it.

tonyclo, Jun 5, 2016
  11. Kyhi Win User
    Drive G is either on a Legacy disk or it boots from the files on the other disk..

POST a pic of disk management..................

You have two drives (two HDD's) ????

The windows 8.1 drive boot and is working ????

The windows 10 Drive is the one giving you Issues ?????

You can see the Windows 10 Drive from the windows 8.1 desktop ????

You dual boot via the boot menu or via swapping boot devices in the bios firmware ???

The G - C drive letters are not a problem as the Booted OS will always be C:

So what is the issue, just the fact you can not boot windows 10 OS ??

Did you allow the OS to repair it self ????

Do you know if both disks are the same format - Legacy / GPT ???

To many questions and not enough information about your experience and troubleshooting results...

12. tonyclo Win User
    Thanks for your reply.

Quick summary. Setup was a C drive SSD on win 10. Also had a partitioned Hard drive with drive G as an out of date backup that contained Win 8.1. Computer crashed and G drive became C running 8.1 and the SSD became G drive which did not show on the boot menu. I could still access files on G drive. I then upgraded the 8.1 drive to Win 10 (intending to move G drive files to C and use it as the main drive). After that the G drive no longer showed. If I connect only the G drive and start with a rescue disc I get a disc needs repair message Windows\system32\winload.exe error 0xo0000225. Which I cannot fix.

In answer to your questions:
    G drive was originally Legacy but now does not load at all.
    Picture of May 29 shows both C and G drive on Win 8. Picture of June 7 shows no G drive.
    One SSD and one hard drive
    Win 8.1 drive (now Win 10) boots and works
    The SSD drive with Win 10 (no longer showing) has the problem
    Can no longer see the win 10 SSD drive.
    Trying the Bcd boot brings up the SSD with error code as above
    Issue is I cannot access files or boot from the ssd drive
    Win automatic repair says it cannot repair the OS
    Dont know about Legacy/GPT

Thanks.

tonyclo, Jun 6, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Why not just wipe the SSD and do a clean install of Windows 10 to it?

NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2016
  14. tonyclo Win User
    Forgot to attach pictures. Also need to clarify that SSD shows in the boot menu but if selected will show error as before.

tonyclo, Jun 6, 2016
  15. tonyclo Win User
    That was my plan but I need files off that drive before I wipe it and I cannot get access. Thanks

tonyclo, Jun 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Win 10 Crashed am now back on Win8.1 Need to get back to Win 10. - Similar Threads - Crashed Win8 Need

2. Worst Experience with Win 11 and now not able to Go Back to Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Worst Experience with Win 11 and now not able to Go Back to Win 10: Why there is no option to go back from Windows 11 to Windows 10 after 10 days of auto upgradation from Windows 10 to Windows 11? I didn't use much within those 10 days and now when I am using it for my needs, it is really very bad experience with Windows 11. Anytime, it...
  3. Worst Experience with Win 11 and now not able to Go Back to Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Worst Experience with Win 11 and now not able to Go Back to Win 10: Why there is no option to go back from Windows 11 to Windows 10 after 10 days of auto upgradation from Windows 10 to Windows 11? I didn't use much within those 10 days and now when I am using it for my needs, it is really very bad experience with Windows 11. Anytime, it...
  4. Get back win 10 style search icon

in Cortana
    Get back win 10 style search icon: As the picture showed, I noticed that the search icon has been change to win 11 style. It is quite discordant in my win 10 system. How can I chage it back to win 10 style?...
  5. Get back Win 10 Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Get back Win 10 Home: I got scammed, now I have Win 10 Prowithout Product Key and the old original Home key. It would not activate saying i should install Home first. Where can I do that. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/get-back-win-10-home/102b183b-e0eb-454f-b93c-9c9bcbf5f70d
  6. Win 7 back to win 10

Win 7 back to win 10: Yes I had a windows 10 free upgrade back in 2016. I updated an ran on my current pc for awhile. I had a harddrive failure which was my fault had to reinstall win 7. I double checked my Microsoft account an saw coarse my win 10 back up or what have you under devices an my...
  7. Need to get back on win 10

Need to get back on win 10: I have a yoga pc that originally had 8.? when purchased but immediately got upgraded to win 10 . A few years later I had to re-install because of some problems and ended up with the insider program getting re-activated and that is when the real problems started. To make a...
  8. backing up win 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backing up win 10: GREETINGS, i just made a win 10 clean install along with my drivers. i wanted to create a back of of this in my local hard drive as well as in an back up USB .The image should be such that in case of a refresh or reset , the installation +drivers both should be installed .pl...
  9. I installed Win 10 OK, but now it says I need 1/2 terabyte for back up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I installed Win 10 OK, but now it says I need 1/2 terabyte for back up: So that tells me that probably windows has stored a lot of something that I don't need. It appears that I'm using Windows 7's back up system, which is fine with me, but it won't run now due to Windows 10 saying I have too much data, when as near as I can tell, I do not....
  10. Win 7 to Win 10..back to 7 and back to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to Win 10..back to 7 and back to 10: *Rolleyes This concerns this Activation error So perhaps I should have waited to see if it would have activated. Long story short.... win 7 (Home premium)was upgraded to win10.. win10 was activated... did a clean install of win10 with a disk i had created from...