Windows 10: Win 10 creating two copies of all files

Discus and support Win 10 creating two copies of all files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Example: Save photo as Jim 2016.jpg – it then shows up in two places: E:\Users\Jim H\Documents\Pictures E:\Documents and Settings\Jim... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jharris91, Nov 20, 2017.

1. jharris91 Win User

Win 10 creating two copies of all files

Example:

Save photo as Jim 2016.jpg – it then shows up in two places:
    E:\Users\Jim H\Documents\Pictures
    E:\Documents and Settings\Jim H\Documents\Pictures

Advice Please.

:)

jharris91, Nov 20, 2017

2. Have multiple files created from all apps - Win 10

Have multiple files created from all apps - Win 10

I have two SSDs on my machine. which has Win 10 (updated from 8). Drive C: has the OS on it. Drive E: is the old one that used to have the OS on it.

Save photo as Jim 2016.jpg – it then shows up in two places:

E:\Users\Jim H\Documents\Pictures

E:\Documents and Settings\Jim H\Documents\Pictures

There are two copies of NTUser.dat on each drive.

jharris402, Nov 20, 2017
  3. capthec Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade

I've installed Win 10 two different ways. First on a new HD with no problems. The only thing is reinstaling all my other programs was tedious . Second time which is what I'm running now, ran my "Insider" copy from inside Win 8.1. Took a lot longer, but all
    my files and apps are there running with no problems. Try running Win 10 .iso file inside 7 and see if you have same problems. If problem persist download a fresh Win 10, the copy you have may be corupted.

capthec, Nov 20, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Documents and Settings is only a Junction hard link to the real users folders. Documents and Settings is not a real folder.

Code: C:\>dir /a Volume in drive C is Windows 10 Pro Volume Serial Number is 9FFF-EBE0 Directory of C:\ 11/12/2017 05:59 AM <DIR> $Recycle.Bin 10/19/2017 05:59 PM <DIR> $WINDOWS.~LS 10/16/2017 09:25 PM <DIR> $Windows.~WS 06/16/2017 02:44 PM <DIR> boot 05/09/2017 06:36 PM <JUNCTION> Documents and Settings [C:\Users] 11/20/2017 12:25 PM 2,550,136,832 pagefile.sys 09/29/2017 05:46 AM <DIR> PerfLogs 11/19/2017 04:33 AM <DIR> Program Files 11/15/2017 09:09 AM <DIR> Program Files (x86) 10/09/2017 11:29 AM <DIR> ProgramData 10/09/2017 10:09 AM <DIR> Recovery 11/20/2017 12:25 PM 16,777,216 swapfile.sys 11/19/2017 07:15 PM <DIR> System Volume Information 11/12/2017 09:35 AM <DIR> Users 11/16/2017 11:51 PM <DIR> Windows 2 File(s) 2,566,914,048 bytes 13 Dir(s) 321,641,627,648 bytes free C:\>[/quote] It's done that way to maintain compatibility with really old programs that are looking for a Documents and Settings folder.

NavyLCDR, Nov 20, 2017
  5. jharris91 Win User
    So you are saying there are not two files, just two pointers, I guess.
    So I can delete the Documents and Setting folder?

jharris91, Nov 20, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    There is one file that is located in a real folder C:\Users\Jim H

There is a pointer only to that same file under Documents and Settings.

You can try deleting the Documents and Settings junction if you want to, but it might prevent some installed programs that access user files under Documents and Settings from operating correctly.

NavyLCDR, Nov 20, 2017
  7. jharris91 Win User
Thema:

1. Win 10 creating two copies of all files - Similar Threads - creating copies files

2. Win 10 file explorer 'Copy To' problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 file explorer 'Copy To' problem: Instead of using CTRL +A, I used the Windows Explorer icon labeled 'Select All'. That's when problems began. Not sure if I clicked something to fix it or if the reboot did it but it's working again.The problem now is that when I drag a single file to the desktop while holding...
  3. Win 10 file explorer 'Copy To' problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 file explorer 'Copy To' problem: Instead of using CTRL +A, I used the Windows Explorer icon labeled 'Select All'. That's when problems began. Not sure if I clicked something to fix it or if the reboot did it but it's working again.The problem now is that when I drag a single file to the desktop while holding...
  4. Win 10 file explorer 'Copy To' problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Two copies of a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two copies of a file: I've been getting this following message lately, "You have two copies of a file we couldn't merge the changes ........so we created another copy of it."Understanding this has something to do with Onedrive, I removed that particular backup in there but the annoying message...
  6. Two copies of a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two copies of a file: I've been getting this following message lately, "You have two copies of a file we couldn't merge the changes ........so we created another copy of it."Understanding this has something to do with Onedrive, I removed that particular backup in there but the annoying message...
  7. Created date on Copied file not that of source file

Created date on Copied file not that of source file: I need to copy PDF files attached to emails I use Thunderbird to local directories which i review using File Explorer. When I copy a file to a directory, the date created of the copied file becomes the date it was copied. Is there a way to have the "created date" for the...
  8. hi all, win 10 problem with copy paste

hi all, win 10 problem with copy paste: hi all, win 10 problem with copy paste from folder to folder after past in other folder, this folder disappear and nothing copied. thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-all-win-10-problem-with-copy-paste/403d4eeb-0863-4e9c-a8c2-548594a20858
  9. WIN 10 command to copy and keep all files copied (with the same name) without overwriting...

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIN 10 command to copy and keep all files copied (with the same name) without overwriting...: Hi all I tried hard for 5 days to get cmd code to copy and paste a file from a specific location to another. I get a file which is being downloaded every 5 mins. So, the new file overwrites the older one. Now, I need to copy the updated file to another location such as the...
  10. Have two files being created from all apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Have two files being created from all apps: Have two files being created from all apps using Win 10. That is, when I save a file it goes two places. I have two SSDs on my machine. which has Win 10 (updated from 8). Drive C: has the OS on it. Drive E: is the old one that used to have the OS on it. Example:...