Windows 10: Win 10 Creator Upgrade removes firefox/thunderbird/chrome taskbar icon

Discus and support Win 10 Creator Upgrade removes firefox/thunderbird/chrome taskbar icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings, My system installed the Creator Upgrade yesterday and since that time the task bar icons for Thunderbird, Firefox (54), Firefox (Nightly)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nuor, May 19, 2017.

1. Nuor Win User

Win 10 Creator Upgrade removes firefox/thunderbird/chrome taskbar icon

Greetings, My system installed the Creator Upgrade yesterday and since that time the task bar icons for Thunderbird, Firefox (54), Firefox (Nightly) and google Chrome will not survive a system reboot or windows explorer reset. I can repin them but they disappear after reboot. All other taskbar icons seem to remain fine.

I reverted back to earlier win10 version, then upgraded to CU manually but it made no difference.

I've found no mention of this specific problem though have seen some talk of missing taskbar icons most suggest corrupted user profiles. sfc /scannow shows all is clean.

:)

2. 10 down load

I USE MOZILLA FIREFOX AND THUNDERBIRD. HOW DO I MAKE SURE TO MAINTAIN THOSE AND ASSOCIATED DATA/FILES/ICONS/ETC. WHEN I UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10??

WilliamBurson Jr., May 19, 2017
  3. ~ Browsers pined to Taskbar disappear after reboot ~

~ Browser pined to Taskbar disappear reboot ~

After reboot pinned to taskbar apps Chrome, Opera & Firefox disappear.

WINDOWS 10 removing other browsers pinned to taskbar after reboot ?

I need to re-pin after reboot.

Win 8.1 needs Help, May 19, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Hello @Nuor
    Welcome to tenforums! *Smile

You could try:
    Navigate to C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar (you need to show hidden files folders...)
    and delete the 'problem' shortcuts, especially if there are duplicates.
    Then reopen the apps and pin them fresh.

Edwin, May 19, 2017
  5. Nuor Win User
    Thank you - Unfortunately that didn't work. Thunderbird and Chrome shortcuts actually existed in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch. I removed them from that location. I then repinned them at which point they appeared in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar. But after restart they disappeared once again from taskbar and from User Pinned/Taskbar folder.

6. sml156 Win User
    Have you tried to uninstall then reboot then reinstall the programs.

sml156, May 19, 2017
  7. Nuor Win User
    Okay after mucking about I finally got the pinning to stick through a reboot. I followed the path to the executable locations and right-click-> pinned to taskbar from the executable (rather than the their desktop shortcuts). This appears to have worked though I'm uncertain why as I never had to use this method in the past.

edit: odd feature though - If I reposition an Icon within the taskbar it leaves a blank space at the old icon location until after a reboot/relog. So I suspect something else is still not quite right.

8. Nuor Win User

I haven't taken that step yet as I prefer to mess with my e-mail/browser installs only as last resort.

9. PhilANZ Win User
    Given up for now - have settled for this approach rather than restart a third upgrade - don't have the time. But when i tried both Mozilla programs now run but a second taksbar icon appears. Only other challenge is that the old MS games vanished - restored from windows.old but still not working. Obviously not so urgent.

PhilANZ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Creator Upgrade removes firefox/thunderbird/chrome taskbar icon - Similar Threads - Creator Upgrade removes

2. Mozilla firefox and thunderbird questions

in Browsers and Email
    Mozilla firefox and thunderbird questions: I just installed firefox 85.0.2 brownser and thunderbird 78.11 email. I need a bit of helps. Firefox -Is it possible to disable update notification on startup ? -Is there any language translator plugin avaiable ? Thunderbird -Is there any PDF viewer plugin to read PDF mail ?...
  3. Taskbar Icon Removal

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Icon Removal: Is there a way to remove a taskbar icon? completely remove so it's not in that hidden space either. Ok so I know the answer is no, I am posting this suggestion so that maybe it gets traction and Microsoft does something. My thought is there should be three levels of icons...
  4. How to transfer Thunderbird/Firefox Profiles from Win XP to Win 10 Laptop? Thanks!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to transfer Thunderbird/Firefox Profiles from Win XP to Win 10 Laptop? Thanks!: to transfer Thunderbur/Firerix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-transfer-thunderbirdfirefox-profiles-from/72c1c18a-f432-4551-a793-60f651463a7b
  5. Chrome taskbar icon in Windows 10 1809.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chrome taskbar icon in Windows 10 1809.: It seems that with Windows 10 Pro 1809 my Chrome taskbar icon isn't static. This is with my desktop computer. What I mean is, with prior version of Windows 10 Pro I could click on the Chrome icon to open a page, and when the page opened the Chrome icon itself would still be...
  6. Weird taskbar icon thumbnails for Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Weird taskbar icon thumbnails for Firefox: Not sure if this is a browser (latest Firefox) or Windows problem, so I'll describe the issue here. All my program shortcuts are placed on the taskbar. The problem I'm about to describe and show, only occurs with the Firefox taskbar icon and its preview thumbnails. And...
  7. Unable to Pin Firefox icon to taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Unable to Pin Firefox icon to taskbar: Firefox is my only greyed background tile but this is not a problem. My problem is I am not able to Pin Firefox to taskbar. Pin to taskbar option is not present when I right-click the program or the shortcut on All apps [img] For three days now I am trying every...
  8. pin shortcuts to the firefox icon in taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    pin shortcuts to the firefox icon in taskbar: I have always had shortcuts pinned to my Firefox icon in my taskbar like windows 10 forum,the login for my work place, you tube,ETC.but the short cuts are gone on my windows 32 they are still on my win.64 ..When I drag a short to my win.32 Firefox Icon in taskbar it says pen...
  9. Firefox and Thunderbird backup

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox and Thunderbird backup: Mozbackup still works fine under W10. A Thunderbird backup may take a while depending on its size. Mine was 2.1GB I back mine up monthly to an external drive and NAS just in case *Wink MozBackup - Backup tool for Firefox and Thunderbird 12657
  10. Remove the people icon from the taskbar Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove the people icon from the taskbar Creators Update: Does anyone know how to remove it, I take it its some kind of chat program. 96186