Windows 10: Win 10 doesn't account for extra drive space using the SD card trick

Discus and support Win 10 doesn't account for extra drive space using the SD card trick in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Samsung 700T tablet (think Surface Pro). It only as a 128GB SSD, but I read about a trick Surface Pro owners use to add extra storage. You... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Paulrus, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Paulrus Win User

Win 10 doesn't account for extra drive space using the SD card trick

I have a Samsung 700T tablet (think Surface Pro). It only as a 128GB SSD, but I read about a trick Surface Pro owners use to add extra storage. You format an SD card as NTFS, don't give it a drive letter, then map it to a folder on your C: drive.

It works great - I've added a 128 gig SD card & essentially doubled my storage, but I'm running into one problem. Windows 10 does't count the SD card when it calculates free space. I have all my libraries mapped to the SD card, including my downloads folder. When I try to download something large, Windows reports there isn't enough space & Chrome refuses to download the file.

Is there any way to get the system to recognize the extra space?

Thanks,

Paul

:)

Paulrus, Sep 19, 2015

2. Win 10 for Asus T100 ???

Is it possible to upgrade the Asus T100, which is Win 8.1 , to Win10? From what I've looked up, Win 10 download takes a large amount of memory, but the T100 doesn't have a lot of extra memory. I do have all the photos, etc stored on a SD card, but free
    space on the device is just 4.6 GB.

LoisGarbisch, Sep 19, 2015
  3. Windows 10 update assistant stuck at 86%

Kumar

On computers with limited free disk space on the C partition you can try what follows.

Download the Windows 10 ISO file, extract the ISO file to a folder on an SD card or external drive. Locate and right click on
    setup.exe, and select Run as Administrator. When prompted for a source of extra disk space select your SD card, or external drive.

Gerry C J Cornell, Sep 19, 2015
  4. ixian Win User

No.

Also that trick has serious drawbacks, not the least of which is the SD reader on that thing is half the speed of the internal storage. If you put movies or non-persistent stuff on it you don't care about it's fine but if you install applications you are asking for trouble.

ixian, Sep 19, 2015
  5. Paulrus Win User
    I'm just using it for my Libraries - Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc. - as well as OneDrive.

Thanks,

Paul

Paulrus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 doesn't account for extra drive space using the SD card trick - Similar Threads - doesn't account extra

2. Sd card not found in win 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sd card not found in win 10 laptop: I've drawn a blank in my first question about this. In short the card is ok did work in my HP laptop but does not now. There is no driver in the USB contoller group in Device Manager. There is a Realtek Card reader in list of programmes so I do I activate this in Device...
  3. Sd card not found in win 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sd card not found in win 10 laptop: I've drawn a blank in my first question about this. In short the card is ok did work in my HP laptop but does not now. There is no driver in the USB contoller group in Device Manager. There is a Realtek Card reader in list of programmes so I do I activate this in Device...
  4. Sd card not found in win 10 laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Fix Unallocated Space error on USB drive or SD card in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Unallocated Space error on USB drive or SD card in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you’re faced with the problem that your SD card or USB drive suddenly shows as unallocated in Disk Management or even stops working on […] This article Fix Unallocated Space error on USB drive or SD card in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  6. Win 10 1903 SD card issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 1903 SD card issues: Hi all, Common issue it appears but I've just done a clean install of 1903 and my SD card is no longer working. I've compared it to another user with the same HP Elitebook 840 G3 and I have the same driver and the card works on his machine. However he's running an older...
  7. Win 10: Using File History to Backup an SD card *and* the main drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10: Using File History to Backup an SD card *and* the main drive: I have a laptop with limited space on it's internal SSD, so I added an SD card which shows up as the D/ drive and in that card is one directory called Pictures, and all the space-consuming pics are there. I can use File History to back up the User Directory on C/, but if I...
  8. Use SD card D drive for Upgrades. SD card not recognized for upgrades?

Use SD card D drive for Upgrades. SD card not recognized for upgrades?: I'm setting up a budget computer lab and I'm in possession of a bunch of windows 10 Mini pcs Z8350, with 2GB Ram and 32GB eMMC ss drives. These little pcs work great to a point, after some quick optimization, and migration of larger files and applications to a SD card D:...
  9. Using SD Card

Using SD Card: Can I use SD card as a recovery device? I don't have flash drive available with 16gb size because im planning on resetting my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/using-sd-card/d77d7bb6-b873-440d-9ec5-d769d2eae873
  10. Using an SD card to install?

Using an SD card to install?: Is it possible to use a SD card to make a boot drive instead of a USB flash drive? None of my flash drives have the space for this but the SD card does, I've used this drive to dual boot linux once, so using it like it was a USB drive should work right? All my attempts do...