Windows 10: Win 10 doesn't recognize SSD , have a question.

Discus and support Win 10 doesn't recognize SSD , have a question. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When i go to disk management all i see is NTFS file system , my SSD no longer shows , is this normal ? 17490 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fredc, Aug 18, 2015.

1. fredc Win User

Win 10 doesn't recognize SSD , have a question.

When i go to disk management all i see is NTFS file system , my SSD no longer shows , is this normal ?

:)

fredc, Aug 18, 2015
  2. pjhinch Win User

Hard drive is recognised as SSD drive in windows 10.

Original Title: HTS Hard drive (HDD) now recognized as an SSD drive upon upgrade to win 10

DID an upgrade of a new hdd ---HGST HTS725050A7E630 HDD --500gb 7200rpm---Hitachi? to windows 10.

Fresh install of win 7 on this acer laptop worked and defragged correctly...on install of win10..hard drive now recognized as a ssd ,so won't defrag etc. how to fix?

pjhinch, Aug 18, 2015
  3. Chris YVR Win User
    BSOD Win 10 Upgrade from Win 7

Thanks Shubham

But you are not supposed to run MS chkdsk on an Intel SSD - at least I thought that. Am I wrong? I already used the Intel SSD utility and everything comes out fine.

It appears that my SSD drive is now not being recognized as the boot disc. For the last month on an Win 10 upgrade, the system was working fine with multiple reboots. How do I make Win 10 realize that my SSD Drive is the boot drive? Please read what I
    have done before!

Thanks

Chris

Chris YVR, Aug 18, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

No that is not normal. Does it show up in the Bios?

bro67, Aug 18, 2015
  5. CountMike New Member
    But SSD is probably formatted to NTFS. How many disks do you have ?

CountMike, Aug 18, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

sometimes Disks will show up in the Disk Management option but have no Drive letter assigned (particularly common if swapping external USB HDD's between machines). If that's the case simply assign it a letter (right mouse click and choose a letter in the drop downs).

A good piece of kit to use with SSD's is a USB2-->SATA adapter (or USB3 -->SATA adapter). This will immediately tell you if the SSD is OK as you can just plug it in to a USB port. Also useful if you want to clone / copy the OS to a new SSD before opening up the machine and fiddling around with the hardware -- especially a laptop.

These adapters are really cheap -- a USB2 one is fine even in a USB3 slot. No power supplies are needed - even on a laptop an SSD will work fine with one of these adapters.

Finally when the SSD is correctly working etc - simply replace / add it to the mobo. I have found those USB-->SATA adapters really usefull !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 18, 2015
  7. fredc Win User
    I am pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff , the screenshot is what disk management shows.

fredc, Aug 18, 2015
  8. CountMike New Member

So that's it, one disk formatted to NTFS file system and 240 - 250 GB size. In Device manager, under Disk drives will tell you exactly which one it is.

CountMike, Aug 18, 2015
  9. fredc Win User
    In device manager it has the proper hard drive displayed (only one lol) but i thought disk management had to show an SSD maybe i'm wrong , i would bet the house i'm wrong because i'm always wrong .

If i'm ever correct then somethings seriously wrong.

fredc, Aug 18, 2015
  10. CountMike New Member
    Is that a desktop or laptop ? Because both, mechanical hard disk (conventional) and SSDs can be formatted in many formats, Fat, Fat32, NTFS, GPT etc. You can't tell by format which drive it is. What's under Disk drives in Device manager ?

CountMike, Aug 18, 2015
  11. fredc Win User
    Just says Intel SSD , it's a laptop.

fredc, Aug 18, 2015
  12. robgr Win User
    You're likely looking at the SSD in your screenshot above, I'd expect it to be a boot disk and it's the right sort of size for an SSD
    I have an SSD as a system disk, when I get home form work tonight I'll have a poke around to see how it can be discerned as an SSD

robgr, Aug 18, 2015
  13. fredc Win User

Thanks appreciated it , yes it is a boot disk.

fredc, Aug 18, 2015
  14. CountMike New Member
    Well, there's your "Lost" SSD !!!

CountMike, Aug 18, 2015
  15. robgr Win User
    CrystalDiskInfo will give you the detail you require, see here

robgr, Aug 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Win 10 doesn't recognize SSD , have a question. - Similar Threads - doesn't recognize SSD

2. I have a question with ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a question with ssd: I am getting a new pc, Acer nitro 5 with new specs, upgrading from nitro 5 with old specs. If the pc i have comes with windows 11, and my old pc has windows 10 on it’s ssd, will i be able to pick up one of those usb ssd readers from amazon, plug it in my new pc, and switch...
  3. I have a question with ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a question with ssd: I am getting a new pc, Acer nitro 5 with new specs, upgrading from nitro 5 with old specs. If the pc i have comes with windows 11, and my old pc has windows 10 on it’s ssd, will i be able to pick up one of those usb ssd readers from amazon, plug it in my new pc, and switch...
  4. I have a question with ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows 10 doesn't recognize SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 doesn't recognize SSD: I have an Asus X510UQ and a new 250GB Samsung EVO970Plus NVMe. I checked the BIOS, every single driver that popped up on Google and everything is up do date. My computer runs on an HDD drive and has an extra slot in the motherboard for an SSD drive. I looked online and...
  6. BIOS doesn't recognize my SSD but Windows 10 does

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS doesn't recognize my SSD but Windows 10 does: It's a repeat question to this thread but my problem is different because I can boot into my SSD. I have recently installed a new M.2 NVME SSD and installed windows onto it using my USB stick. I have deleted old windows versions by renaming them to windows.old and using the...
  7. BIOS doesn't recognize my SSD but Windows 10 does

BIOS doesn't recognize my SSD but Windows 10 does: Hi everyone, I have an Asus X571GD and I decided to upgrade my storage so I could have a HDD for my files and an m.2 SSD for windows and some games. I formatted the HDD and installed a new windows in the SSD using an external flash drive, after doing all the setup and...
  8. At Win 10 re-installation, my SSD wasn't recognized.

At Win 10 re-installation, my SSD wasn't recognized.: My mobo is a MSI B450 Mortar Titanium and SSD is a Samsung 860 Evo which wasn't recognized during installation, but it is recognized in Bios. 150613
  9. Windows Installation doesn't recognize new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Installation doesn't recognize new SSD: I got a new Samsung SM951 M.2 PCI drive. I have a X99 motherboard but it didn't have the M.2 slot so I purchased an adapter to attach the drive and installed it into an open PCI slot. When I first installed it and boot up under the current Windows 10, I could see the...
  10. Win 10 clean install doesn't recognize primary drive

Win 10 clean install doesn't recognize primary drive: Hi, My husband has an ASUS G752VT with a 256 SSD primary drive and a 1TB secondary drive. We are trying to do a clean install of Windows because of serious issues he's had with things not working. When the install got to the window of where to install the product, the SSD...