Windows 10: Win 10 Failure to recognise 2nd hard drive in Desktop PC

Discus and support Win 10 Failure to recognise 2nd hard drive in Desktop PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Originally Windows 7 Home Premium 2 hard drives on a desktop PC Upgraded it on desktop PC using ISO copy of Win 10 on a DVD downloaded from MS site... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gledbrook, Jul 31, 2015.

1. gledbrook Win User

Win 10 Failure to recognise 2nd hard drive in Desktop PC

Originally Windows 7 Home Premium 2 hard drives on a desktop PC
    Upgraded it on desktop PC using ISO copy of Win 10 on a DVD downloaded from MS site
    It took 3 hours to upgrade
    Faults found
    The second hard drive did not show when clicking my computer, went to device manager looked at the hard drives entry and only the one with Win 10 was shown.. Device manager not showing 2nd hard drive,
    Scanned for new hardware and after 10 minutes it found the drive, PC went to sleep and had to restart
    Rebooted PC went to device manager, second drive not showing, rescanned for new hardware and it found the drive again . I exited and clicked My computer but 2nd drive still not showing, Tried a 3rd time in device manager and this time it managed to retain the info and showing the drive in windows explorer and I could browse the drive.
    I wanted to save a system image so went to control panel file history. The window shown was that usually shown for windows 7 clicking on create system image then new window opened showing the Windows 8 format. Scanned for the hard drive to put system image on and it found the second hard drive as expected. Started to take system image progressing OK then it failed with message drive not loaded. Checking with device manager and 2nd drive not there again. Note I had created a system image from Win 7 without a problem onto the 2nd drive

:)

gledbrook, Jul 31, 2015
  2. ianBrock Win User

Recovery media on usb stick corrupted, hard drive has failed, any way back for installation to new drive?

Hi all, after a hard drive failure I have a new drive in the machine ready for a recovery install. Found my recovery usb and tried to boot but it is not recognised, tried to read it in another machine and it is not getting recognised in that either, is there
    anyway back for putting Win 10 back on the dead machine without buying a new copy?

Ian

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

ianBrock, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Windows 10 causing sudden hard drive death

I just recently ask this question on Microsoft forums too. Had two notebooks fail one after only six months from new with Windows 10 running and the other ran fine until I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1. My past experience was zero with hard drive failures
    previous to this. Had probably a dozen or more notebooks without a single drive failure.

I seriously began to correlate Windows 10 with these failures when I researched other forums and found many with hard drive failures either after upgrading to Win 10 or with a recently purchased PC with Win 10 installed. These were PC's with hard drives
    that had very low failure rates according to stats I could access online. I completely agree that Windows 10 is doing a lot in the background and the drive appears very busy at times, besides the fact that every six months or so, the PC cycles through a very
    intensive upgrade cycle to the next Win 10 release. This has to place a burden on the drive. Maybe the fact that notebooks have become smaller, thinner and provide less air flow on some models could also contribute to failures? Because I see much less failures
    with desktop PC's then notebooks. I think its something to consider and investigate further. I had not indication of failure either, SMART monitoring gave no indication of failure, and until I began to see signs of failure such a freezing, apps not loading
    and errors, did I even begin to test for failure. With one notebook a HP Pavilion 15 the tests actually finished off the drive for good and gave a early failure indicator result. This did not even provide me with a time frame to back up data on the drive.
    Word of caution the SMART system is not something to depend on for drive failure indicators.

jescott418, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

Win 10 Failure to recognise 2nd hard drive in Desktop PC

1. Win 10 Failure to recognise 2nd hard drive in Desktop PC - Similar Threads - Failure recognise 2nd

2. Upgrading to Win 10 after hard drive failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading to Win 10 after hard drive failure: My computer died right after Christmas. I bought a used one from a local business with Windows 7 professional installed. I would like to upgrade to Win 10 but can't get any info from my old computer. Help??...
  3. Upgrading to Win 10 after hard drive failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading to Win 10 after hard drive failure: My computer died right after Christmas. I bought a used one from a local business with Windows 7 professional installed. I would like to upgrade to Win 10 but can't get any info from my old computer. Help??...
  4. Upgrading to Win 10 after hard drive failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard Drive Failure after WIN 10 Update

Hard Drive Failure after WIN 10 Update: Hardware Test Scan resulted in failure and a code: Q4U7HT-7SSAMR-XD7WLK60RR03I tried to put the code in HP but it said it wasn't valid. hp.com/g/techcenter/PcDiagsUpdate is still attempting to install a June security update that it cannot install. PC freezes and locks and...
  6. 2nd hard drive not showing win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2nd hard drive not showing win 10: I'm trying to take a sata hard drive (with existing data) from an older win 10 machine and add it as a second drive on newer win 10 machine (also sata). First time I've done it. I've watched YT videos on how to configure the 2nd drive but it's based on the 2nd drive showing...
  7. PC won’t recognise hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC won’t recognise hard drive: I recently bought a refurbished computer with an SSD where the system was installed and an empty HDD installed and everything worked perfectly. Then it said there was a windows update, so I updated it, when it went to 82% of the install I got a BSOD, and when it booted back...
  8. Hard Drive Not Recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive Not Recognised: I have a Dell Inspiron with a SSD 128GB and an HDD 1TB. I am not technically knowledgeable, but have been able to run all diagnostics I can trace regarding my issue. The HDD is no longer visible in File Explorer. I have run an F2 and an F12 diagnostic from the Dell boot...
  9. New computer build. 2nd hard drive not recognized by win 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New computer build. 2nd hard drive not recognized by win 10: My motherboard bios recognizes the second drive and device manager shows the drive. File manager does not. Disk Management does not show the drive. The drive is a Western Digital drive. Their Lifeguard program says the drive is working properly. It is a new drive. Presumably...
  10. Installing 2nd copy of Win 10 into free space on hard drive

Installing 2nd copy of Win 10 into free space on hard drive: Actually it's an SSD. How can I be positively sure that I'm doing a fresh install of Win 10 into free space on my SSD, and not wipe out an existing Win 10 install. I want to have two copies of Win 10 on my system. I have an unused Win 8.1 license so I wnat to install a...