Windows 10: Win 10 "File Explorer" can only open One copy

Discus and support Win 10 "File Explorer" can only open One copy in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a new clean install of Win 10 but it only allows me to open one copy of File Explorer. My understanding is that you can open as many File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BarrieNoodles, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Win 10 "File Explorer" can only open One copy

I have a new clean install of Win 10 but it only allows me to open one copy of File Explorer. My understanding is that you can open as many File Explorer as I like.
    I choose Start and File explorer and after the first open file nothing happens.
    BUT
    Just found out that if I click on FIle and Open new window in an open File Explorer it works. Has Win 10 made a change?

Thanks

:)

BarrieNoodles, Jul 15, 2016

2. Can only open one copy of the File Explorer

I can only have one copy of the File Explorer open at a time. When I have File Explorer opened, if I right click on the File Explorer icon on te Taskbar nothing happens.

On my other computers, also running Windows 10, the jump list appears and I can open another copy of the File Explorer.

Is there a setting somewhere to file this?

AirForce9797, Jul 15, 2016
  3. francofer Win User
    How to access documents from Start Menu in Windows 10

In win-7 the start menu gives access to "documents". Then win 7 list all files in all drives in the PC. How can I get the same in Win-10? The start button conducts to documents, but it only list documents in C. One can use File explorer, but then the search
    for a document in a long one. Was not supposed to be Win-10 the easiest one?

francofer, Jul 15, 2016
  4. Phone Man Win User

Win 10 "File Explorer" can only open One copy

After you open File Explorer, right click the icon in system tray and then click on File Explorer in that small window and it will open a new window. You can keep opening as many as you want. After you have a few open put the curser over the icon and it will show a thumbnail of all the open windows and you can click on the one you want to use.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Jul 15, 2016
  5. TrustMe Win User
    TrustMe, Jul 16, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    Wheel click or (Middle click) File Explorer on the Taskbar as many times as windows you want opened.

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 "File Explorer" can only open One copy

1. Win 10 "File Explorer" can only open One copy - Similar Threads - File Explorer open

2. Win 10 file explorer 'Copy To' problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 file explorer 'Copy To' problem: Instead of using CTRL +A, I used the Windows Explorer icon labeled 'Select All'. That's when problems began. Not sure if I clicked something to fix it or if the reboot did it but it's working again.The problem now is that when I drag a single file to the desktop while holding...
  3. Win 10 file explorer 'Copy To' problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 file explorer 'Copy To' problem: Instead of using CTRL +A, I used the Windows Explorer icon labeled 'Select All'. That's when problems began. Not sure if I clicked something to fix it or if the reboot did it but it's working again.The problem now is that when I drag a single file to the desktop while holding...
  4. Win 10 file explorer 'Copy To' problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Copying / moving only one specific type of file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copying / moving only one specific type of file: Hi! First of all, thank you for even taking the time to read this. TL:DR - How do I, in a large folder with ~200 more folders, select one type of file? To move on to my 'issue' right away; I have one large folder that consists of ~200 more folders. Each of those folders has...
  6. Win 10 slow to open network in File Explorer

Win 10 slow to open network in File Explorer: This is a small but annoying problem. When I click on the "Network" link in File Explorer, it takes a long time to open. It's only a couple of minutes but it seem to take forever compared to opening other folders. If I open the network from two other computers on the...
  7. No app is opening, only file explorer is open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No app is opening, only file explorer is open: Today when I opened Avast antivirus, it showed me that almost 113 registry keys are broken, so I pressed the button to fix them. Windows was working fine before I pressed the button. Then Avast opened a blank white screen, I thought I must close it as it has got hanged and...
  8. Win 10 Explorer, One Drive business problem files will not open

Win 10 Explorer, One Drive business problem files will not open: Hi, we have a problem with Onedrive Business in Windows 10. When opening files direct from the Explorer Window the timeglas is shown the the file does not open at all it just times out file show as syncronised. Though when opening the same file directly from a program it...
  9. Win 10 File Explorer limitation with conflicts when copying files

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 File Explorer limitation with conflicts when copying files: In Win 7 File Explorer, when you copy files and there are conflicts, it shows a dialog box with the two files with dates and times AND it flags which one is newer. This last feature is something that has made life drastically easier for me and is not available in Win 10....
  10. Printers will only print one copy of a file at a time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printers will only print one copy of a file at a time: I have Windows 10 and I have 2 HP printers attached to my PC. One is wireless and one is wired. I cannot print more than one copy of a file at a time. I put in the number of copies I want, but it will only print one. This happens on Word, Excel and NotePad - and may on...