Windows 10: Win 10 file explorer: set column titles default

Discus and support Win 10 file explorer: set column titles default in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; You can set many columns in file explorer - details by right clicking on any column title and selecting one or more titles. I've added "file extension"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Sep 27, 2015.

1. tcebob Win User

Win 10 file explorer: set column titles default

You can set many columns in file explorer - details by right clicking on any column title and selecting one or more titles. I've added "file extension" and "attribute" to one window. This will allow sorting by the column title. I cannot find a way to save this setup as a default for all instances. The settings disappear after closing the window. There used to be an option to apply changes to all explorer windows but I can't find it in Win 10.

:)

tcebob, Sep 27, 2015
  2. Rod_C1 Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer unable to save changes

I don't seem to be able to permanently change the default columns presented in File Explorer.

I change then to how I want them, then when the window is closed and re-opened, or a new window opened, they are back to the default. For example, most of the files I am dealing with are MP3 audio files, so I need to see the file name, title, creation date,
    modified date, size and bit rate. I set up the view like this then next time I go into File Explorer they have mostly disappeared and the default ones are back.

Regards

Rod C

Rod_C1, Sep 27, 2015
  3. Windows Explorer 10

Right-click on the column headers and uncheck the one you want to remove.
    BTW, it's File Explorer in Win 10...

JohnSmith531, Sep 27, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

It's still there.

Click on the View tab then click on Options at far right and select Change folder and search options.
    Click on the View tab of Folder Options then click Apply to all folders.

Ztruker, Sep 27, 2015
  5. tcebob Win User
    Thanks, Ztruker. It worked.

tcebob, Sep 28, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Great, glad that worked.

Ztruker, Sep 28, 2015
  7. WaterCat Win User
    My Win10 v1607 system 'forgets' my settings for "Documents", "General Items", etc. Frustrating.

WaterCat, Dec 12, 2016
  8. mrgeek Win User

Let's say you want all folders in your Documents folder to have the same details column headings. Open Documents, r-click a blank area. Select 'Customize this folder'. Under Customize tab, select the type you want to keep settings for, be it General, Documents, Music or Pictures. All the folders in that Documents folder will now have the same details that you selected and kept with the drop down menu under View/Options/Change folder and search options/View/Apply to Folders. Now do the same for each type of folder view you want to customize.
    You can further customize by selecting any folder and optimizing. Let's say you have a Downloaded Music folder within your Downloads folder which is customized for General Items. You can use above process to optimize just that folder for Music and keep details like song length, artist name, etc that you selected for folders in your primary Music folder, while not disturbing the other folders in Downloads. Good Luck

mrgeek, Dec 13, 2016
  9. WaterCat Win User
    I've done this - many many times. It's probably being cleared during some cleanup. I've followed up with Ccleaner to see if they have a setting that clears this setting. Next I'm unchecking things in Windows Disk Clean-up (cleanmgr). In the meantime, I found a batch program that saves and restores all Folder View settings. Folder View Settings - Backup and Restore in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

WaterCat, Dec 13, 2016
  10. mrgeek Win User
    Thanks for reporting back. I have not had a problem Customizing columns with the exact details (vs icons/thumbs) I want then applying the Folder View, like in below tutorial. Hope the bat file helps as a last resort. Attached is screen of my Music and Pictures folders settings. Try to match settings to test on your system, then apply tutorial.

Win 10 file explorer: set column titles default [​IMG]

Win 10 file explorer: set column titles default [​IMG]
    -
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

mrgeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 file explorer: set column titles default - Similar Threads - file explorer set

2. File explorer - Set the top columns ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer - Set the top columns ?: Please don't tell me to open folder properties and View tab / Apply to all folders, because this does "not" work. Ms default setting is to have the columns at the top Name Date Type Size, etc.Some of my files have long names, and I need to be able to see the full name, so I...
  3. File explorer - Set the top columns ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer - Set the top columns ?: Please don't tell me to open folder properties and View tab / Apply to all folders, because this does "not" work. Ms default setting is to have the columns at the top Name Date Type Size, etc.Some of my files have long names, and I need to be able to see the full name, so I...
  4. Setting default columns size in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting default columns size in File Explorer: Since I have read this forum about so many people asking how to apply settings for a default column size in File Explorer, I thought I would answer it since no one here at Microsoft correctly identified it. Even though they did give you their best answer - it is rather quite...
  5. How to set a default column width in windows explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set a default column width in windows explorer?: Every time I open a folder, the Name column is too narrow and all contents display as "Part of the filenam...". This means navigating through a directory I have to: open > resize > open > resize > open > resize...I would like to set a default column width that is large, say...
  6. Windows Explorer Default File Columns

Windows Explorer Default File Columns: Is there a way to change the default columns when viewing in Windows Explorer? Every time I create a new folder, especially for audio files, I have to change the configuration of what info I want to see. And sometimes Windows doesn't SAVE that configuration? I have tried...
  7. Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10): I am doing a lot of work with umpteen folders and I would find it easier if I could customise the columns in File Explorer instead of having to reset them with each change of folder. So far all the methods I have read just don't work. Before I finally accept that this is no...
  8. Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns

Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns: Long time lurker, first post in this forum. First Let me say hello and thanks to Brink and other contributors for all the great tips and tricks, I've used a ton of them since sevenforums.com and now tenforums.com. Last year I moved from win7 to win 10 with a new laptop and...
  9. Setting File Explorer columns - and KEEPING them

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting File Explorer columns - and KEEPING them: Having set Win 10 columns (types and positions) I’ve several times used the option to apply this to ALL. But this never seems to survive, even within a session (i.e. before a reboot). Is there a registry hack or a freeware tool that can achieve this reliably please? And can...
  10. Changing default Date column in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default Date column in File Explorer: One change I dislike in Win 10 is the 'Date' column. This seems to be the same as Date Created, which I rarely want to see. By far the most useful date for me is Date Modified, which was the standard in XP. How do I set that as the column that will always appear in all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 file explorer set column positions

2. default column order in windows explorer win 10