Windows 10: Win 10 hangs sometimes on "arresting system" screen

Discus and support Win 10 hangs sometimes on "arresting system" screen in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have a problem and I would like your help: a friend of mine upgraded his laptop OS from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and after that the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sirluca, Mar 21, 2016.

1. sirluca Win User

Win 10 hangs sometimes on "arresting system" screen

Hello everyone, I have a problem and I would like your help:
    a friend of mine upgraded his laptop OS from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and after that the laptop hangs sometimes after the shutdown command (on the blue screen with the label "arresting system...").
    The only way I found the successfully shut down the PC and reboot it is to physically remove the battery of the laptop.
    I tried also, but it didn't work, to physically shutdown the PC pushing the power button but when I try to repush it (to reboot) the screen comes again like the PC was somehow sleep/hibernate (I don't know the various options): I guess is some feature of the laptop maybe (Toshiba ?).
    I would like your help for:
    1)I would like to find out what could cause this issue. My last option would be to format and reinstall the OS but I don't want my friend to lose his data/programs.
    2)I don't know if doing the "soft recovery/reset" it would clear all the programs including the ones of the previous OS (programs of Win 8) or only all the apps/programs of the newly Windows 10.
    Thanks for your help and sorry for my english.

:)

sirluca, Mar 21, 2016
  2. atikuruu Win User

5800 XM " General: System Error " on saving music file

WHAT CAN I DO NOW

atikuruu, Mar 21, 2016
  3. Adee247 Win User
    5800 XM " General: System Error " on saving music file

I also cannot save any new music to my gallery. I can find it under Applications and File Manager, but cannot see this music in the Gallery. when I refresh my library, I get an error say "file is corrupted" and no new files were added. I don't think it is
    my sd card as it still saves new files. No problem with pictures.

Pls help. I realy love my Nokia, but this is killing it for me as I can't add new music to my library and create new playlists...

Thanks

Adee247, Mar 21, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi sirluca and welcome to Tenforums.

You might try turning off Fast Startup, and also checking the settings of the power button.
    "When I press the power button: Shut down"

simrick, Mar 21, 2016
  5. sirluca Win User
    Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late response: I checked the settings and I don't have the Fast Startup setting avaible; however I changed the "When I press the power button" setting from suspension to shutdown. I don't know if this could be a workaround or a solution. I don't have the laptop now to try it.
    I guess it's a Windows fault anyway... Some problem with faulty installation of the OS since I have many others problems. I will try a fresh installation and report the result.

EDIT: Thanks for welcoming me; I am not sure if I clicked on the "show unavaible settings"; I might have not seen it or maybe it wasn't there. ASAP I have the laptop again I will check again.

sirluca, May 21, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Yes, please check for it again - maybe you have to scroll down to see the settings. But, Windows turns Fast Startup "on" by default, and sometimes things just need a "real" shutdown to set up properly. Also, your power buutton setting will have two: one for on battery and one for on power plug. Be sure to change both. *Smile

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 hangs sometimes on "arresting system" screen - Similar Threads - hangs sometimes arresting

2. sometime why computer hang?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sometime why computer hang?: update bios and window update help?any expert can solve? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sometime-why-computer-hang/4c61e969-d9cb-4295-8595-7695bbc2460a
  3. Windows 11 Unresponsive, sometimes just screen hanging, sometimes black screen, can't press...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Unresponsive, sometimes just screen hanging, sometimes black screen, can't press...: Hello! I have an HP Omen 15 Laptop that is pretty newly updated to Windows 11 it's around mid 2021, so not that new tbh and started to having a lot of problem, most noticeably the unresponsive laptop and requires me to force shut down using the power button. I have tried a...
  4. Windows 11 Unresponsive, sometimes just screen hanging, sometimes black screen, can't press...

Windows 11 Unresponsive, sometimes just screen hanging, sometimes black screen, can't press...: Hello! I have an HP Omen 15 Laptop that is pretty newly updated to Windows 11 it's around mid 2021, so not that new tbh and started to having a lot of problem, most noticeably the unresponsive laptop and requires me to force shut down using the power button. I have tried a...
  5. Windows 10 stucks, freezes and hangs sometimes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 stucks, freezes and hangs sometimes: Windows 10 has been started lagging and hanging quite a time after windows 10 may 2004 update. I have the latest build i.e., 2004. [ATTACH] A month after the update and installing other cumulative updates, windows randomly starts freezing, although mouse cursor works but...
  6. PC randomly crashes/hangs, sometimes BSOD, sometimes hangs, sometimes reboots

PC randomly crashes/hangs, sometimes BSOD, sometimes hangs, sometimes reboots: A few months ago my pc would crash 2-4minutes after booting it up for the first time in the morning, screen would freeze and wouldnt accept any input I solved this by just rebooting pc and it run as normal for the rest of the day. After a few weeks it would crash twice in the...
  7. Win 10 Startup hangs at desktop screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Startup hangs at desktop screen: I recently reinstalled Win 10 completely because of the issue described below. I have only installed a couple of my regularly used applications, and now the same issue has recurred. I think the reinstall was version 1907 but I Can't check that. Startup appears to be quite...
  8. Windows 10 sometimes hangs logging in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 sometimes hangs logging in: Hello, I have a recurring problem. Sometimes when I'm trying to log in to my PC with my (Microsoft account) password entered correctly, the password box disappears, and the wheel starts spinning, and it spins, and spins and spins some more for like five or ten minutes. It...
  9. Sometimes programs hang

Sometimes programs hang: I've had Win10 installed on a rarely used test / backup PC since last fall, but upgraded my regularly used PC just last week, so I don't know if I'm describing a recent problem or one the has been lurking around for months. Sometimes I cannot launch new programs. Clicking...
  10. Win 10 sometimes freezes at logon screen

Win 10 sometimes freezes at logon screen: Hi, I've a problem which is driving me crazy, hope a genius out there can help me. I normally shutdown my PC over night. Sometimes but not always when I reboot the next time, Windows loads until the lock screen and then totally freezes (keyboard, mouse, network not...