Windows 10: Win 10 Home download bandwidth issues

Discus and support Win 10 Home download bandwidth issues in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We live in a very remote area and our sat based isp has heavy bandwidth restrictions besides being slow and overpriced. Have attempted the 3GB upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by UgashikBob, May 14, 2016.

1. Win 10 Home download bandwidth issues

We live in a very remote area and our sat based isp has heavy bandwidth restrictions besides being slow and overpriced. Have attempted the 3GB upgrade download twice unsuccessfully. Are there any other options to obtaining the upgrade?

:)

UgashikBob, May 14, 2016
  2. ELM23 Win User

network download speed capped when connecting to some wireless APs

What could be the problem when internet download speed is capped (approx 10%) of available bandwidth when connecting to some 802.11ac wireless APs while other APs provide up to 100% of bandwidth (using speedtest.net). Other devices eg. iphone/laptops will
    download at full available bandwidth.

I'm using a windows 10 home laptop with i5-8250 Intel CPU and Intel AC7265 wireless chipset - drivers updated to latest.

i also tried a USB wireless dongle and have same problem but when using USB wired dongle, i get full available bandwidth.

ELM23, May 14, 2016
  3. becool773 Win User
    Errors in Win 10

Hi guys,

I got a Win 10 laptop last week. I am facing few errors. The Windows version is Windows 10 Home Single Language, check this

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2wn7q7m.jpg

I got this error yesterday afternoon, when Firefox with few tabs was opened. It all froze for few minutes and then it became normal

http://oi68.tinypic.com/34gt3s9.jpg

Why is it saying drivers for Windows 8? And what's the meaning of "R" in Win 8(R)?

In the Windows update it is showing that the Windows will be updated to Windows 10 Home Single Language but it already has the same version preinstalled so why it is auto updating to Windows 10 Home Single Language? Windows update is auto downloading the files
    to update to Win 10 and is eating up my bandwidth.

http://oi65.tinypic.com/15ewuc1.jpg

What exactly is going on in here?

Regards

becool773, May 14, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Win 10 Home download bandwidth issues

Have someone mail you a Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD.

NavyLCDR, May 14, 2016
  5. pyramid10 Win User
    You have two months to make plans to go into town and make use of its library and computers. If the coffee shop's wifi network is trustworthy, you can use that too.

pyramid10, May 14, 2016
  6. Appreciate the suggestions but wish Microsoft would consider how this effects sat based isp users. Not only are 3GB+ downloads extremely slow and error prone but frequently invoke usage penalties. It appears the Win10 download, cloud use, and updates all assume high bandwidth use as a given.
    Microsoft should have the mail option instead of inconveniencing family and friends.

UgashikBob, May 15, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    You show that you have Win10. Have you looked in C:\ for a Folder called $Windows.~WS and the Sources subFolder for a file called install.esd? That can be used to create a DVD for installing.

Some folks have better luck when setting there downloads to be over a Metered connection.

Berton, May 15, 2016
  8. Win 10 Home download bandwidth issues

Berton:
    Yes I have a laptop that came preinstalled with Win10. Thank you for your suggestion I have used a metered connection but the size of some of the updates makes it difficult to do them during our short free window in the middle of the night.

UgashikBob, May 15, 2016
  9. TairikuOkami, May 15, 2016
  10. Excellent tool to maximize my time during our short download window then return to metered connection when window closes. Thank you for the link.

UgashikBob, May 15, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    It has nothing to do with Microsoft. It is your ISP who deems that because of the cost of using the Satellite for Internet and the latency for sending the signal thousands of miles into the sky and back again, is not cost effective to hand everyone unlimited Internet.

You should have 10 set up to use a Metered connection for the network device. Then you need to see about getting a place closer into town if you want better service with more time available.

bro67, May 16, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    You are going to have to set Update to not grab them. The best thing to do is work with a local computer shop that can put the updates on a USB drive and that way you can get them once a month when they get pushed.

The biggest updates are yet to come with Redstone just around the corner. Now if you are running Pro, you can make a GPO change for Updates. See item #3. Disable / Turn Off Automatic Updates In Windows 10, Here's How | Redmond Pie This goes more into using GPO to schedule the updates during off peak. How to schedule Windows Update installations in Windows 10 Pro | Windows Central Just make sure that in System Settings that you do not allow our machine to serve out updates across the network or use your email list to go out and hunt down other Windows 10 devices across the satellite.

There is a Linux equivalent to WSUS. It can be done on a Raspberry Pi 3 with a hard drive attached for running Debian Lite and Samba, which can be managed through Webmin. It is actually a pretty inexpensive way to go and plus you can set it to stop outbound connections through a proxy at Peak periods. nitrobit update server

In November is when we get to deal with a bunch of headaches on any new computers that people get to replace older ones.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 Home download bandwidth issues

1. Win 10 Home download bandwidth issues - Similar Threads - Home download bandwidth

2. BitLocker Issue on Win 10 Home Edition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Issue on Win 10 Home Edition: Long story short - we ran into the BitLocker issue recently and found out that the Microsoft recovery website has been down for more than 3 months. Currently Microsoft only has live chat available and it’s mission impossible to get to someone to assist. There are always 50+...
  3. BitLocker Issue on Win 10 Home Edition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker Issue on Win 10 Home Edition: Long story short - we ran into the BitLocker issue recently and found out that the Microsoft recovery website has been down for more than 3 months. Currently Microsoft only has live chat available and it’s mission impossible to get to someone to assist. There are always 50+...
  4. Win 10 Home - Reset/Recovery Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Home - Reset/Recovery Issues: HP Laptop i5 Don’t know all the specs but I can get them if it matters. The laptop had Win 10 on it, but I wanted a fresh install so I reset it via the Settings > Security > Reset This PC I didn’t need to retain any files, so in chose “Delete Everything”. It did it’s process...
  5. Win 10 Home - Reset/Recovery Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Home - Reset/Recovery Issues: HP Laptop i5 Don’t know all the specs but I can get them if it matters. The laptop had Win 10 on it, but I wanted a fresh install so I reset it via the Settings > Security > Reset This PC I didn’t need to retain any files, so in chose “Delete Everything”. It did it’s process...
  6. How to increase Bandwidth on Windows 10 Home?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to increase Bandwidth on Windows 10 Home?: Hi, I had a question: how can I change my bandwidth on the Windows 10 Home edition? I saw tutorials on changing it with gpedit.msc but that doesn't exist on the Home edition. Is there any other way to do that? -Luc...
  7. Weird Bandwidth Issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird Bandwidth Issue: I'm running Win10 on an Alienware laptop (m17r1). I have this unusual issue where when I initially boot up, and for a few days' hence, my bandwidth will be ~350mpbs. This is completely expected, as my ISP is Comcast, and that's their advertised bandwidth. However, a few days...
  8. Setting bandwidth to unlimited on Windows 10 Home?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting bandwidth to unlimited on Windows 10 Home?: I know that you need to have pro to use gpedit but there's got to be SOMe way to get full bandwidth on home edition? I've done everything else and I have really good internet but knowing that I'm being limited to 80% really bothers me and I'm wondering if there's some secret...
  9. Win 10 Home to Pro Upgrade issue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Home to Pro Upgrade issue: I have a brand new computer with Windows 10 Home that I want to upgrade to Pro. I went through the Microsoft Store, searched Windows 10 Pro, clicked Upgrade, paid the $99, and then clicked Install. But after the restart, my System dialog shows that I have a non-genuine...
  10. Internet bandwidth issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet bandwidth issue: Hi I have a problem with Internet band width. When i start downloading a file by a download manager program (Internet Download Accelerator), the other programs such web browser, windows update and every thing can not access Internet seems the download manager consume all of...