Windows 10: Win 10 Home ver. Pro

Discus and support Win 10 Home ver. Pro in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What is the difference between Windows 10 Home and Pro. Is it worth the difference? 33407 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Clint, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Clint Win User

Win 10 Home ver. Pro

What is the difference between Windows 10 Home and Pro. Is it worth the difference?

:)

Clint, Dec 10, 2015
  2. mellaby Win User

Windows upgraded to Windows home from Windows pro edition after performing clean installation.

I think this is a bigger problem than Cbarnhorst suggests. I had the exact problem SQLOne had. My original O/S on my laptop was Win 8.0 Pro and I still got Win 10 Home on a clean install (after I did a update with win pro ver 1511). It was activated after
    the update. I finally found a site which would give me a Win 10 Pro ISO but it was not the 1511 ver. I had to reinstall with that ver then do the upgrade again to get back to Win 10 Pro Ver 1511. I can't find a 1511 download anywhere.

mellaby, Dec 10, 2015
  3. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WIN 10 PRO VERS 10240 & 10558

I'm using Win 10 Pro x64 vers 10240.....What's difference with Win 10 pro x64 vers 10558

RobinMillsXB, Dec 10, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member
  5. PJLLB Win User
    PJLLB, Dec 10, 2015
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    Most of the added features in the Pro edition are of limited use to a typical home user. Of course your needs may differ. You need to make your own decision. Performance is the same for all editions.

LMiller7, Dec 10, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
    Both of these statements are (I think) incorrect unless you mean a "typical home user" could not care less if their computer was stolen and/or is somehow too stupid to consider that it might happen.

If you have Pro you can turn on bitlocker. If you don't, you can't.

Turning it on would be a good thing as then any thief couldn't steal your information simply by plugging your drives into their computer.

If you turn on bitlocker however MS estimates a "single-digit percentage performance overhead" Numbers vary of course and the site anandtech thinks less in some cases.

Bottom line, if you want (to be honest even basic) security there will be a price and performance overhead.

On a laptop it is obvious that you should encrypt your drive but anyone who doesn't encrypt drives on their home PC's is being, I think, optimistic as all their bank account numbers are just sitting there in plain sight, if anyone got access to it.

8. pparks1 Win User

Win 10 Home ver. Pro

Yeah, but Bitlocker is no stronger than your Windows password unless you make changes to the way it works. While your drive is encrypted, the encryption key is stored in your TPM module and as long as your bootloader and such hasn't changed, Windows mounts the encrypted drive when it starts and brings you to a logon screen. If somebody can guess your password, they are in and your data is sitting there totally unlocked for the taking.

There are alternatives to Bitlocker such as TrueCrypt. While TrueCrypt development was discontinued, it passed all security audits. So, you can always put your secure stuff into a TrueCrypt container which can keep your data encrypted without having to be on the Pro version.

Pro brings ability to do multiple languages, join a domain, you can RDP into it, and you can run group policy. Most of these things are unnecessary for home use.

pparks1, Dec 10, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
    Well not really. Imagine I get a taxi a couple of times this evening and find 2 laptops (or USB keys) that Friday night government employees have left behind. One is encrypted with bitlocker and one is not.

If I put the drive from one that isn't encrypted in an external enclosure can I read everything on it? Yes.

What about the other? No, not without brute force and the same applies to your home PC.

If that is important depends I suppose. The only thing you can't work around is domain join and that certainly is pointless for a home user so I agree with you there.

10. pbcopter Win User
    Performance is the essentially same for both versions as was said. Bitlocker is an application and if not used, takes no resources.

A performance difference would occur if different applications are run in each version.

pbcopter, Dec 10, 2015
  11. As for performance, Home is a bit faster, but Pro offers some features like a possibility to control Windows Updates.

TairikuOkami, Dec 11, 2015
  12. lx07 Win User
    Do you have any benchmarks or links to support this?

13. pparks1 Win User

Win 10 Home ver. Pro

But my point is that if they left behind the laptop, if you simply boot it up, and can guess their password, you are in. So, if you did something dumb like make your Windows password, P@55w0rd, then Bitlocker provides you very little protection.

Really? What is this based on?

pparks1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 Home ver. Pro

1. Win 10 Home ver. Pro - Similar Threads - Home ver Pro

2. Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2

in Cortana
    Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2: Cortana randomly pops-up on my desktop while using latest MS Edge browser. I never want to use Cortana!! What's the "easiest" way to disable Cortana?...
  3. Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2: Cortana randomly pops-up on my desktop while using latest MS Edge browser. I never want to use Cortana!! What's the "easiest" way to disable Cortana?...
  4. Disable Cortana in Win 10 Home Ver. 21H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I have replaced my old laptop with a new one.My old PC had Win 10 Pro free update from Win 7 Pro.The new one has Win 10 Home. I was advised that all I needed to do was to change the product key using the one I had for Win 7 and it would update to the Pro version. This did...
  6. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I have replaced my old laptop with a new one.My old PC had Win 10 Pro free update from Win 7 Pro.The new one has Win 10 Home. I was advised that all I needed to do was to change the product key using the one I had for Win 7 and it would update to the Pro version. This did...
  7. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Win 10 Pro to Win 10 Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro to Win 10 Home: I have an old PC loaded with Win 10 Pro. As I cannot increase the RAM on this PC, I'd like to move to Win 10 Home. Is it possible with this license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-pro-to-win-10-home/090c2436-3600-4f0d-8068-55f8030bddfe
  9. Win 10 Pro ver 1809

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 Pro ver 1809: I had a local network set up and working good and within the last 2 or 3 months it died! None of the four computers can see anything except itself. I have tried all the solutions that I can find on the 'net and changed settings to match what people said works, but still...
  10. Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: I upgraded my Win 8.1 into a Win 10 Home but it is not working properly. Does anyone can help me out how to find a free (and sound!) Win Pro for a clean install? 20601