Windows 10: Win 10 How to get rid of Windows.old folder and content.

Discus and support Win 10 How to get rid of Windows.old folder and content. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; *Think As always, there seems to be lots of alleged fixes out there, which may work on versions earlier than Win 10... but not with Win 10. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Sajer, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Sajer Win User

Win 10 How to get rid of Windows.old folder and content.

*Think

As always, there seems to be lots of alleged fixes out there, which may work on versions earlier than Win 10... but not with Win 10. The struggle for getting rid of this now un-needed bloat seems to be wrapped up in file permissions. But even when I try to clobber it with administrative authority, it won't budge. One fix suggests that you can use disk cleanup to get rid of it by selecting previous installation files. Heh. Yeah. Just TRY and find that option in Win 10.

Ok. Somebody hopefully has managed to resolve this inigma. Step by step, please. *Smile

:)

Sajer, Oct 5, 2015

2. Windows.old folder

When can I get rid of the windows.old folder created as a result of the last Win 10 upgrade?

VibrativeCupid5, Oct 5, 2015
  3. EliGruber Win User
    Win 10 Upgrade done - can I delete $Windows.~WS folder?

I finished my Win 10 upgrade and all is fine. I ran the Disk Cleanup and it got rid of the Windows.old folder contents. But I still have a folder called $Windows.~WS with almost 5 gb of files. Can I just delete it?

EliGruber, Oct 5, 2015
  4. dencal Win User

Type Diskcleanup in Cortana, bottom left.
    Click on Cleanup System Files, There you will see a second option in yellow highlight, More options.
    Do note the bottom Attachment comes up first.

dencal, Oct 5, 2015
  5. KACI Win User
    Are you asking how to find disk cleanup? If so just type it in the search bar and it will ask u which drive just choose c and a selection will come up. Just go from there.

KACI, Oct 5, 2015
  6. Sajer Win User
    *Sad

Sadly, in my recent version of windows, the delete "Previous windows installation" option to check is never presented. Even in the system cleanup. Then I simply right clicked on drive C: and went into the disk tools. Using this approach the option for previous installations was found. Maybe I just missed it. Anyway, the folder is now gone. *Biggrin

Sajer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 How to get rid of Windows.old folder and content. - Similar Threads - rid old folder

2. How do I get rid of these folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get rid of these folders?: This is Windows 11 problem. OneDrive is showing multiple folders that will not let me get rid of them. When I click to open, if shows an error that the folder isn't there anymore. How do I get rid of these folders?...
  3. OneDrive - content has gone into package folder - how can I get rid of this data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive - content has gone into package folder - how can I get rid of this data: I have a personal computer. I had onedrive on it. I was trying to unlink the computer from one drive. Onedrive had 57 GB of data. I have unlinked the onedrive from my computer. Now it showing that the pacakage folder which has all the caches etc has this 57 GB of data. How...
  4. OneDrive - content has gone into package folder - how can I get rid of this data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive - content has gone into package folder - how can I get rid of this data: I have a personal computer. I had onedrive on it. I was trying to unlink the computer from one drive. Onedrive had 57 GB of data. I have unlinked the onedrive from my computer. Now it showing that the pacakage folder which has all the caches etc has this 57 GB of data. How...
  5. OneDrive - content has gone into package folder - how can I get rid of this data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to get rid of old (dual) boot hdd used to clone Win 10 to ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to get rid of old (dual) boot hdd used to clone Win 10 to ssd: Hello All, My Lenovo desktop came with Windows 10 Home preinstalled on a 1 TB HDD. Last December I cloned the Windows 10 partition to a SSD and somehow managed to boot from it as the main partition, C: on the volume I named Win10-SSD, leaving the old volume renamed Win10-HDD...
  7. getting rid of Win 10 password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    getting rid of Win 10 password: I have to send a new laptop in for repair and was told I need to get rid of the Windows 10 password. Can anyone tell me how to do that? 173015
  8. How to get rid of a Network Folder??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get rid of a Network Folder??: I need help from someone knowledgeable in Windows 10 Network issues. By accident I created a folder named "Pubic" in a Network location on my Dell laptop it was supposed to read "Public" but a typo crept in and I can not get rid of it. The folder is empty and it annoys me to...
  9. How do I get rid of the old PowerShell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get rid of the old PowerShell: I just install the new PS 6.24 and was able to remove the UWP app. I also unchecked Powershell 2.0 in the CP. How do I get rid of the old Power shell? 151016
  10. How to get rid of old USB drivers?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get rid of old USB drivers?: Rollback is grayed out. I uninstall the device "M25 digital scale" but a re-install picked up the old USB that are not working. They worked for an USB ASIC miner that I used at one time. The scale works perfectly on another win 10 1903 system. What is strange is that the...