Windows 10: Win 10 install - lots of reparse errors on CHKDSK

Discus and support Win 10 install - lots of reparse errors on CHKDSK in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded Win 7 to Win 10. I have it set up as a dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 system. With Win 10 I had huge problems with Live Mail. Win 10 kept... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GerryPeters, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Win 10 install - lots of reparse errors on CHKDSK

I upgraded Win 7 to Win 10. I have it set up as a dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 system. With Win 10 I had huge problems with Live Mail. Win 10 kept downloading old emails on my server and wanted to rebuild the database and really messed it up bad, I found that when I booted back to Win 7, the Live Mail database was also messed up, showing that Win 10 messed up the Store folder, which is on a separate HD.

I finally fixed the problem by trying several things like repairing Live Mail, uninstalling and reinstalling Live Mail, getting rid of Spambully until I got Live Mail working correctly. Spambully is a 3rd party add-on in Live Mail. I had to rebuild the Store folder from my backup.

Some time during this very long process of fixing this, I got these CHKDSK errors on my Win 10 HD. This is the CHKDSK message:

"deleting extended attribute set due to presence of reparse point in file xxx,xxx"

this message repeated for thousands of files. At the end it said 25,019 reparse records processed

After CHKDSK fixed this, it wanted to fix my other HD's of which there were only minor fixes. Later during some other reboots, CHKDSK fixed more errors on the Win 10 HD plus some other HD's. I think that I got one other instance of fixing the reparse errors, but I didn't write it down and just am going from memory on that.

I saw a few posts on Google giving me the impression that Win 10 has had reparse errors fixed by CHKDSK in other installs. I really didn'' get any good explanations for why this happened. So please anyone, can you tell me is this something to be alarmed about? The last 2 days I finally got Live Mail and Firefox working fine after reinstalling both and I haven't gotten any more reparse errors.

:)

GerryPeters, Jan 21, 2016

2. Reparse point deletion

Today I had to run a chkdsk on my drive

All goes ok when I read a message

Deleting extended attribute set due to the presence of reparse point ...

On the net I found that reparse points are like symlinks in Linux and I'm worried them deletion can cause problems

I seriously have to be worried about this?

SimoneMonacoVH, Jan 21, 2016
  3. budwxm Win User
    Win10 chkdsk: "Deleting extended attribute set . . ."

This is interesting. I cloned a Windows 7 drive using Macrium with the default settings, not paying attention to the reparse yes/no setting. I'm not sure what the default setting was. I added a second drive on the same computer and installed the Windows
    10 Insider version. When both drives are connected, and I shut down after running Windows 10, and boot back to the Windows 10 drive, (with the Windows 7 drive still connected), I have the chkdsk issue deleting the reparse points and all my disks are marked
    dirty. I have had the Windows 7 drive disconnected for well over a month, just running the Windows 10 drive, and have had no issues with chkdsk wanting to scan my drives. Even if I don't boot to the Windows 7 drive, just having it connected seems to create
    this issue. You may be on to something here.

budwxm, Jan 21, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Win 10 install - lots of reparse errors on CHKDSK

It is probably nothing but simply that the file system needed a good spring clean.

However might be worth doing a disk health check using crystaldiskinfo or similar.

cereberus, Jan 21, 2016
  5. Thanks for the tip. So does crystaldiskinfo look more at the HD itself as far as problems, bad sectors, etc? Whereas CHKDSK is looking more at the file system itself?

I do download programs fairly often and was surprised that AVB virus scan popped up when I completed the download of crystaldiskinfo and marked it as malware. Do you think that's just an over reaction from AVB? And it should be ok to install?

From some other posts it appears to me that this reparse error may have more to do with something quirky about Win 10, since others have mentioned this during an install.

One thing that occurred to me is maybe Win 10 likes to see the file system in a different way than Win 7 and changed it to it's liking and maybe this is an improvement. It seems like too much of a coincidence that I've never seen this sort of CHKDSK behavior until the Win 10 installation.

When it happened I had been dual booting going back and forth between Win 7 and Win 10. Fortunately it hasn't happened in several days and I haven't needed to go back to Win 7 since the first day.

GerryPeters, Jan 21, 2016
  6. pbcopter Win User
    Disable fast startup in Windows 10. This mode is hibernate like that leaves the disk in a state that Windows 7 does not understand. This causes it to run CHKDSK.

Turn Fast Startup On or Off

pbcopter, Jan 21, 2016
  7. Before I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 I had hibernate and sleep disabled. I checked and the settings are still disabled, yet I'm very surprised that hiberfil.sys is in the root directory of C with today's date. That sounds suspicious to me that something is wrong.

Fast startup requires hibernate to be enabled and it never has been. My power button is set to shut down. The sleep button was set to sleep, but I just changed it to “do nothing”. I’ve never used the sleep button, in fact I don’t think I have a physical button on my PC for sleep. I suppose it’s possible when I tried to choose shutdown and I hit sleep instead, but I don’t think so.

GerryPeters, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 install - lots of reparse errors on CHKDSK

1. Win 10 install - lots of reparse errors on CHKDSK - Similar Threads - install lots reparse

2. Fresh Win 10 Install, lots of event errors and warnings, audit failures, microstutter...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fresh Win 10 Install, lots of event errors and warnings, audit failures, microstutter...: I get the majority of these events including security audit failures, DNS/DHCP errors, DistributedCOM warnings, CertificateServiceClient-CertEnroll errors, ModernDeployment-Diagnostics-Provider warnings, WLAN-AutoConfig warnings, and Kernel-PnP errors on both Windows 10 and...
  3. Fresh Win 10 Install, lots of event errors and warnings, audit failures, microstutter...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Win 10 Install, lots of event errors and warnings, audit failures, microstutter...: I get the majority of these events including security audit failures, DNS/DHCP errors, DistributedCOM warnings, CertificateServiceClient-CertEnroll errors, ModernDeployment-Diagnostics-Provider warnings, WLAN-AutoConfig warnings, and Kernel-PnP errors on both Windows 10 and...
  4. Fresh Win 10 Install, lots of event errors and warnings, audit failures, microstutter...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid, chkdsk not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid, chkdsk not working: So I'm getting this error when trying to open a folder on my onedrive. I cannot delete, move it or anything. I saw thatIt has been asked and answered online before, so I tried the solutions.Things I've tried:chkdsk :C /f /r --> restart and yes the affacted folder is on the C:...
  6. The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid, chkdsk not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid, chkdsk not working: So I'm getting this error when trying to open a folder on my onedrive. I cannot delete, move it or anything. I saw thatIt has been asked and answered online before, so I tried the solutions.Things I've tried:chkdsk :C /f /r --> restart and yes the affacted folder is on the C:...
  7. The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid, chkdsk not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows 10 CHKDSK error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 CHKDSK error: So I tried chkdsk because every time I booted my computer always told me to restart to fix drive errors but never got fixed. After running chkdsk on powershell and cmd, both giving me the same answers of This type of file system is NTFS. volume label is OS. Warning! /f...
  9. chkdsk reparse point errors - repeatedly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    chkdsk reparse point errors - repeatedly: Hello, Does anyone have experience of repeated 'extended attribute set and a reparse point detected in file xxxxx'errors in chkdsk in windows 10? - even though it apparently corrects the errors with 'deleting extended attribute set due to presence of reparse point in file...
  10. Win 10 install - lots of reparse errors on CHKDSK

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 install - lots of reparse errors on CHKDSK: I moved this to the Installation forum Sorry Somehow it got posted in the wrong forum I upgraded Win 7 to Win 10. I have it set up as a dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 system. With Win 10 I had huge problems with Live Mail. Win 10 kept downloading old emails on my server and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reparse point windows chkdsk