Windows 10: Win 10 installed on new SSD, still boots from old drive.

Discus and support Win 10 installed on new SSD, still boots from old drive. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ill try and be short and specific: -I installed win 10 on a spanking new SSD. -I did not unistall or do any changes to my win 7 installation my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Djay, May 21, 2016.

1. Djay Win User

Win 10 installed on new SSD, still boots from old drive.

Ill try and be short and specific:

-I installed win 10 on a spanking new SSD.
    -I did not unistall or do any changes to my win 7 installation my old SSD.
    -Installation went fine. *Party
    -I get an option to boot win 10 or win 7 every time i boot. This annoys me. *Mad
    -I try and format the old SSD. Unable to format
    -I delete all files i can delete on the old SSD. Some files could not be deleted. (Yeah, might not be the smartest idea *Redface)
    -I try removing old SSD from boot sequence. Computer will not boot. *Sleepy

So it seems my comp insists on booting from old SSD. I wanna make that stop. I have a flashdrive with the win 10 install if needed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

:)

2. kjl1956 Win User

How do I set my new SSD as the only Boot/System drive?

If you remove the windows 7 drive from the pc it will not boot.

Deleting the option to boot win 7 does not change where the win 10

boot loader is stored, it is still on the disk 0

It may be possible to copy or clone the windows bootloader to an empty space on drive 1.

The only other way is to clean install to the ssd with the old drive removed.

Or remove the ssd install win10 to that drive then clone the old drive to the ssd

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

kjl1956, May 21, 2016
  3. Win 10 Crash and cannot be auto-repaired - how can I transfer the profile and data to the new drive?

After crash of 10 and performed auto-repairing, the window still maintain in the repairing screen and show failed to repair. Although I select the option of totally refreshment, the result is still negative. Then I have buy a new SSD drive and install a
    fresh Win 10

The question is how can transfer back the profile and data from the old drive to my new drive, the old drive is still health and only crash of OS

Whisky_Nikka, May 21, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

This suggestion was from NavyLCDR for another user, but also may help you too.

Make a bootable USB flash drive, CD or DVD of Kyhi's recovery drive:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Disconnect all drives except the SSD. Boot from Kyhi's recovery drive. Run Macrium Reflect. Under the restore menu is a utility to fix windows startup/boot problems. Run that utility. See if that rebuilds the boot files on the SSD. Then try to reboot with only the SSD installed.

OldMike65, May 21, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    In addition, Kyhi's recovery drive contains MiniTool Partition Wizard which can be used to wipe/format the old SSD - after you fix the boot files on the new SSD and reconnect the old one.

NavyLCDR, May 21, 2016
  6. Djay Win User
    Ok, so i finally got around to this. Sorry for bumping old post, but its the same issue.

I opened the link to the recovery tool thread, but there are versions, and none of them match my version fully. My system - about says: Version 1511 and Build 10586.545 and its 64bit.

Can anyone point me to the version of the recovery tool i should download?

7. kimkl Win User
    Sounds like the boot files on your old ssd are making havoc so was a bad idea to rem ur old ssd *Smile what you need to do is make the new ssd Bootable there are several programs that will do that without format or del anything but can't rem the name i ran into that problem alot in the old days when dual booting linux and windows 7 forgot to make sure to select that the bootloader should be on the windows 7 drive
    you can try to do this open your case take the Sata Data cabel from ur old ssd and connect to new ssd and ofc take the sata from new ssd and plug into old see what happens, never tried on windows 10 but on windows 7 i got the repair windows function ran it it saw the bootfiles where missing on the win 7 drive and copied them over a made the windows 7 hd bootable and also erasing the old dual boot info. not sure windows 10 will do it but exchange the sata cables like i wrote if you havent done so because then ur new ssd should be the 1 drive if all goes well if you mobo is new you can ofc do it in bios if you know how

kimkl, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 installed on new SSD, still boots from old drive. - Similar Threads - installed SSD still

2. Win 10 New SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 New SSD Drive: Reinstalled Win 10, Installed new SSD Drive to computer. Temporarly disconnected existing Harddrive. Set Bios to new SDD drive for start/Boot. Reconnected harddrive. My question is that I have duplicate files in Partitions/Drives. Can I now delete/format the Harddrive now?...
  3. Win 10 New SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 New SSD Drive: Reinstalled Win 10, Installed new SSD Drive to computer. Temporarly disconnected existing Harddrive. Set Bios to new SDD drive for start/Boot. Reconnected harddrive. My question is that I have duplicate files in Partitions/Drives. Can I now delete/format the Harddrive now?...
  4. Win 10 New SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  6. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  7. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Use old win 10 drive to boot new pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use old win 10 drive to boot new pc: Hello, so my old PC died and I'm getting my new one tomorrow. I had no chance to save data from my old PC and I don't have another drive right now. So I would like to know if it's possible to boot the new pc from my old win. 10 drive just so save some data and then I would...
  9. Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive ,

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive ,: Hello : Tonight my son's computer lost booting from his ssd , the old hard drive boots fine but slow . Need to make the new ssd drive bootable . Weird this worked for 1 month until tonight . 1903 version (os Build 18362.499) Ideas . thanks [img] [img] 144186
  10. Clean install Win 10 new ssd - can I use old SSd win 7 to dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install Win 10 new ssd - can I use old SSd win 7 to dual boot: Read the tutorials but still not sure....aka...confused...want to use my new SSD Win 10 Pro 64bit upgrade clean install via Brink's USB tutorial (when done setting everything up) and would like possibility to be able to dual boot with/to my old Win 7 Pro 64 SSD in same box....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows installed on new drive but old drive was still installed

2. how to get rid of old windows and boot from ssd win 10