Windows 10: Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7

Discus and support Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 on a separate hard drive in my computer to keep from messing up my Windows 7 installation. It appears windows 10 still makes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kevin, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Kevin Win User

Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7

I installed Windows 10 on a separate hard drive in my computer to keep from messing up my Windows 7 installation. It appears windows 10 still makes changes to windows 7 even on a separate hard drive. See attached picture. I can not correct this using the system repair disk or the original install disk because it tells me it is the wrong operating system any idea how to correct this? I tried to make a new system restore disk and it tell me the disk is for technical preview x64! even though im making it in windows 7. (See Pic) The disk windows ten was installed on was removed from my machine when I tried to make the system repair disk from the picture.

Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7 [​IMG]

:)

Kevin, Jan 25, 2015
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

Windows 10 activation problems

If you have an "OEM" Windows 7 and you win 7 install media and 25 digit product key. You could try re-install win 7 and take the chance on getting it activated (**trick**). Then upgrading o/s to win 10.

I bought a new hard drive and win 10 pro OEM version and ""product key"" (about $200). Removed win 7 hard drive install new hard drive and new install win 10 o/s. Same hardware hash as win 7 copy. Except for hard drive. The new hard drive constituted new
    PC. That is argumentative.

If the hardware hash changes the current o/s will deactivate. In order to "upgrade" for free you need an activated win 7 o/s.

(**trick**) Do not allow auto activation after install. Manually activate, it will fail. Call the number on the screen and follow along. Answer the question at the end truthfully. If MS activates. That means they allowed hardware hash change. It is their
    product they can do it if they want to.

Teddy2016, Jan 25, 2015
  3. MAYANK76 Win User
    INSTALLING WINDOWS 10 as a multi boot

I want to install win 10 as a clean install on a 160 gb formatted partition of my 2 tb hard disk. I already have win xp , win 7 and win 8 installed in 3 separate partitions on same hard drive. My question is will BOOT menu after installing windows 10 show
    all 4 operating systems as it shows with win 8 as default browser or my other browser will not be shown at boot menu?

MAYANK76, Jan 25, 2015
  4. Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7

After a situation similar to yours, some years ago, I was forced to formulate my own Rule concerning two OS's on the same PC.

If one OS can see the other OS, it will have a tendency to mess with it... changing things it doesn't like and deleting things that it thinks are unnecessary. More specifically, One OS, deleted all the restore points for the other OS.

So my new Rule is, "never let one OS see another OS on the Same PC".
    On this ten year old desktop that I'm running Windows 10 on right now, I have two other drives with OS's on them, but.....
    this drive is the only one plugged in. The other two have NO data connection to the motherboard, so they are completely safe.

I can't tell you how to fix your OS that has gotten messed up, other than do a Restore from a Backup file.
    If you don't do backups, shame on you! If you can even boot up to that OS, then try to do a System Restore.
    Failing that, sounds like you're in deep doo-doo.

Good Luck!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Jan 25, 2015
  5. Kevin Win User
    TechnoMage,

Lesson learned! The restore points appear still intact, Thankfully! I do backups frequently, To frequently, automatic backup ran last night at 2 am erasing the backup from last Sunday morning. I have run windows and linux in the same box for years with no problems, but never 2 windows systems. I have learned my lesson.

Kevin, Jan 25, 2015
  6. Was the Windows 7 disk connected and powered when you installed 10? If yes, Windows 10 likely messed with its boot loader to setup a dual boot. I unplugged my Windows 8.1 drive while installing Windows 10. Even then weird things happened when I plugged it back in. When I plugged it back in and tried to boot to it I got a repairing volume message. It eventually read 100% repaired and booted into Windows 8.1. It would appear that once Windows 10 saw the 8.1 drive it did something to it. What I have no idea. Lucky for me my 8.1 install is working OK, as near as I can tell anyway.

alphanumeric, Jan 25, 2015
  7. Kevin Win User
    Alphanumeric,
    Yes was powered up and connected. Didnt expect the change that makes a sys repair disk for windows tech preview instead of windows 7. I know for next time. Use and old box with nothing on it. Does anyone else see striking resemblance to linux in some of the system folders and App store?

Kevin, Jan 25, 2015
  8. Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7

ThrashZone, Jan 25, 2015
  9. Windows is a constant learning experience, even for those of us that "think" we know what we're doing. *Wink

alphanumeric, Jan 25, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    I hear ya!!! *Smile

Edwin, Jan 25, 2015
  11. Kevin Win User
    Thank you thrashzone, I will give that a shot!

Kevin, Jan 25, 2015
  12. Kevin Win User
    How true that is!

Kevin, Jan 25, 2015
  13. Kevin Win User

The disk is marked as active, and I can not use the install disk to correct the start up files because it says it is the incorrect disk. I think Im going to have to save everything and start from scratch.

Kevin, Jan 25, 2015
  14. Kevin Win User
    The disk is marked as active, and I can not use the install disk to correct the start up files because it says it is the incorrect disk. I think Im going to have to save everything and start from scratch.

Kevin, Jan 25, 2015
  15. Charlie Win User
    The disk is marked as active, and I can not use the install disk to correct the start up files because it says it is the incorrect disk. I think Im going to have to save everything and start from scratch. Kevin. If you are having trouble starting up win 7 and you can open win10. a work around is to go to settings/update recovery/recovery and then click the restart. Takes you to any other os on your system. *Cool

Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7 [​IMG]

Charlie, Jan 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7 - Similar Threads - installed separate hard

2. Win 7 install after hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 install after hard drive: My Dell Desktop PC came with Win 10. I hate Win 10, Could not duel boot with Win 7 so I debaned HD and tried to install Win 7. Would not install. Kept getting notice “Setup does not support configuration of or installation top disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port.”...
  3. Win 7 install after hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 install after hard drive: My Dell Desktop PC came with Win 10. I hate Win 10, Could not duel boot with Win 7 so I debaned HD and tried to install Win 7. Would not install. Kept getting notice “Setup does not support configuration of or installation top disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port.”...
  4. hard drive/ Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard drive/ Win 10: I have an HP touch screen laptop with a bad hard drive and wanted to install a hard drive froma Toshiba with problems but a good hard drive. I want to remove everything that has to do with Toshiba from the hard drive and load Windows 10. I had tried the Toshiba hard drive and...
  5. install Win 10 on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    install Win 10 on external hard drive: Hello, I wonder if there is a chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 ) I tryied win to usb but the free ver doesnt support the latest windown 10 1089 . Thanks in advance 131215
  6. install Win 10 on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    install Win 10 on external hard drive: Hello, I wonder if there is a chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 ) I tryied win to usb but the free ver doesnt support the latest windown 10 1089 . Thanks in advance 131215
  7. installing Win 10 on new hard drive

installing Win 10 on new hard drive: Hi I have a peculiar problem. recently my Lenovo G50-80 crashed. When inserting a bootable Win 10 repair/recovery flash drive, it would not boot from it even though boot order was changed accordingly in BIOS. I eventually resorted to removing the hdd, after which the...
  8. Share Win 10 Home Hard Drive with Win 7 Pro Computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share Win 10 Home Hard Drive with Win 7 Pro Computer: Due to a power surge I recently had to upgrade my wife's Win 7 machine. She had been running an old LGA1156 mobo and when it was impractical to replace the mobo I figured why not just get her an 8th gen I3? I soon figured out that those 8th gen processors don't play nicely...
  9. NTFS formatted hard drive reads in XP, not in Win 7 or Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NTFS formatted hard drive reads in XP, not in Win 7 or Win 10: I'm trying to help a friend. Here is his problem: I have a 1T external hard drive full of mp3's. My winxp computer will recognize and play the files. However if I use a win 7 or win 10 computer I get the message that "this drive needs to be formatted. The volume does...
  10. Did clean install of Win 10 on SSD - Want to put Win 7 on hard drive

Did clean install of Win 10 on SSD - Want to put Win 7 on hard drive: I probably went about this backwards. I had Windows 7 installed on a 120GB SSD with my User files & some Program Files on a 1TB hard drive. I did a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD last night. Now I have decided that I want to keep the Windows 7 OS also, but I am not...