Windows 10: Win 10 installs and locks my hard drive, error: 0x490

Discus and support Win 10 installs and locks my hard drive, error: 0x490 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I lost everything that wasn't backed up a loooong time ago. I had to Boot & Nuke with Darik's software. Then reinstall Win 7. Then I thought maybe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bill413, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Bill413 Win User

Win 10 installs and locks my hard drive, error: 0x490

I lost everything that wasn't backed up a loooong time ago.
    I had to Boot & Nuke with Darik's software. Then reinstall Win 7.
    Then I thought maybe Win 10 would work, nope, locked again after installing!

So just give up?
    Try Linux?
    How does anyone talk to MS?
    How has this unapproachable, juggernaut, monopoly, come to be?

-bill *Mad

p.s. this is my laptop, not the PC listed specs here.

:)

Bill413, Dec 9, 2015
  2. keanuchin Win User

SFC/SCANNOW

H again a few days after my last reply my pc started guliching out again so i restarted and now i cant get back onto my pc win 10 crash so am wondering if u where sertain if that there was t anything wrong with the error report i sent because now there a
    new error in which i tried to formate my hard drive to do a clean install but within the win 10 reinstall it said it cant find my hard drive i tried to use disk partion cmd prompt and used list disk and it said there was no fixable disk found i also tried
    to open it and formate it on pc but it said it cannot be formated and that it was locked. Does this mean my hard drive died or is this just some odd error 404

keanuchin, Dec 9, 2015
  3. Oh no! Hard drive failure! Will I still be able to install Windows 10 when it's ready?

I am receiving error notifications from the BIOS system diagnosis program that my hard drive is failing. I need my computer right away and work from home so I need to replace the hard drive likely before it is ready for my machine. I did prior to the error
    make my reservation. I will have to do a clean install of Win 8 from my recovery disks to the new drive when I install it. My question is: Will Win 10 activate with the new hard drive installed or do I need to some how re-reserve it when I finally get up
    and running again? I see that Win 10 is always available for clean install but all those articles refer to the re-install after Win 10 has been installed once already. Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks!

By the way, will I have to install 8.1 first? My recovery disks are Win 8.

WendellStavig, Dec 9, 2015
Thema:

Win 10 installs and locks my hard drive, error: 0x490

1. Win 10 installs and locks my hard drive, error: 0x490 - Similar Threads - installs locks hard

2. hard drive/ Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard drive/ Win 10: I have an HP touch screen laptop with a bad hard drive and wanted to install a hard drive froma Toshiba with problems but a good hard drive. I want to remove everything that has to do with Toshiba from the hard drive and load Windows 10. I had tried the Toshiba hard drive and...
  3. Missing hard drive after win 10 install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing hard drive after win 10 install: I recently installed windows 10 on a computer as a dual boot with windows 7. In win 7 there were 2 hard drives and 3 optical with all being accessible. I partitioned the C drive and installed 10 successfully. Win 7 still sees all drives as previously. I have just noticed...
  4. install Win 10 on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    install Win 10 on external hard drive: Hello, I wonder if there is a chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 ) I tryied win to usb but the free ver doesnt support the latest windown 10 1089 . Thanks in advance 131215
  5. install Win 10 on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    install Win 10 on external hard drive: Hello, I wonder if there is a chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 ) I tryied win to usb but the free ver doesnt support the latest windown 10 1089 . Thanks in advance 131215
  6. Error code ox57 and 0x490

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error code ox57 and 0x490: Sometimes when I boot my PC it strats diagnosing itself. When its done it says that I have some sort of a problem and it gives me a directory ( C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt ). When I check the file it says that the boot manager couldn't find the OS loader...
  7. installing Win 10 on new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installing Win 10 on new hard drive: Hi I have a peculiar problem. recently my Lenovo G50-80 crashed. When inserting a bootable Win 10 repair/recovery flash drive, it would not boot from it even though boot order was changed accordingly in BIOS. I eventually resorted to removing the hdd, after which the...
  8. 0x490 Error : CandyCrushSodaSaga Event Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x490 Error : CandyCrushSodaSaga Event Error: This is a weird one. I don't know what topic it should be put under rather than General Support. One of the Event Errors I'm trying to figure out and get rid of if possible is this: Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package...
  9. Hard drive locked trying a Win 10 repair

Hard drive locked trying a Win 10 repair: I have an ASUS laptop which came with Win 8, upgraded to Win 8.1 then upgraded to Win 10. Had a problem of rebooting unexpectedly. Restore did not help. Having problems getting a rescue disk to boot up ( ASUS bios is a bit odd to set up for CD/DVD boot ) so decided to do a...
  10. Missing Hard drive after installing Win 10

Missing Hard drive after installing Win 10: Hi, So my buddy installed Windows 10 and now one of his hard drives simply will not show up. It's listed in device manager but not in explorer. He had Vista installed and made a clean install of 10. Any clues how he should go about getting the drive to show up without...