Windows 10: Win 10 Is Deleting My Network Adapter

Discus and support Win 10 Is Deleting My Network Adapter in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a homebuilt with a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.0 motherboard running an Intel 17-920 The network adapter on the motherboard is Realtek PCIe GBE... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GopherMan, Aug 14, 2015.

1. GopherMan Win User

Win 10 Is Deleting My Network Adapter

I have a homebuilt with a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.0 motherboard running an Intel 17-920
    The network adapter on the motherboard is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. It's running driver version 9.1.401.2015 (dated 4/1/2015).
    It was a stable setup under Win 7.

When it came up after my initial update to Win 10, the network adapter was missing. Looking on the Device Manager, there was no entry for "Network Adapters".
    I rolled back to Win 7, and the problem persisted. After several trips to Google, the solution to the problem was to power down, UNPLUG THE COMPUTER for "a while" (15 seconds seems to do it), and then restart. It worked. The network adapter was back.

I also read that it could be an issue with antivirus software, so I disabled Norton and tried the Win 10 update again. Same issue.

I've found I can make it work under Win 10 by powering down/unplugging/rebooting. The network adapter will be listed in the Device Manager.

If I simply do a Win 10 restart (no unplugging), goodbye network adapter.
    Following a 'no-unplugging" restart, I noticed that the network controller is not one of the recognized devices listed immediately after post (before it gets to the Win 10 boot).
    This tells me that whatever is going on is a result of what Win 10 is doing to the device once running, leaving it in some odd state when Windows shuts down. When it powers on, the damage is already done.

Anyone have any clues?

:)

GopherMan, Aug 14, 2015
  2. SayYu2 Win User

Installed TP-Link Archer T6E Wi-Fi adapter in my desktop. I lost the "On-Off" Wi-Fi switch of the setting page on Desktop.

Sorry to answer a month after your reply to my first email.

The motherboard is an Asus Z170 series that works perfectly.

The TPlink Archer "Network Adapter" driver for Win 10 is a compatible Vista SP2 as detected by Win 10 described in my original email if you have read it; but it works great without issue.

Again as I have written, I have created an icon of the "Network Adapter", a Microsoft long date feature since Win 2000, on my desktop. This icon give me the opportunity to Activate or Deactivate that network adapter.

It is the link of the "ON-OFF" Wi-Fi switch found in the Win 10 setting.

So after doing "Deactivate" and "Activate" the adapter, the Wi-Fi switch disappeared as Airplane Mode also .

I own many Win 10 laptops working with the same desktop icon "Activate / Deactivate" feature without issue.

Just hope that your Engineer Support Dprt find the right answer or close the case.

Say

SayYu2, Aug 14, 2015
  3. 154Neil Win User
    Extra Unknown Network

When I look at the network and sharing Center I see 2 networks (1 for my wifi adapter and then another called Direct-QEHPENYmsHA).

My win 10 PC is an HPENY and when I look at the adapter for that network it shows as Microsoft Wi_Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2 (don't have a #1). Why do I have this network and what should I be using it for? Any explanations would be appreciated.

154Neil, Aug 14, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Install the drivers from the manufacturer for the Network adapters. That solves a lot of issues - Wake On Lan - 5ghz on dual band wireless adapter - I had to install the manufacturer driver for both my adapters and the WiFi adapter driver from the manufacturer was for Vista!

NavyLCDR, Aug 14, 2015
  5. GopherMan Win User
    NavyLCDR:

When I do an unplug/reboot (i.e. I am connected to the net), Win 10 reports:
    Driver Provider: Realtek
    Driver Date: 4/1/2015
    Driver Version: 9.1.401.2015
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows
    When I click on "Update Driver...", Win 10 tells me I have the latest.
    I went to the RealTek site to see if there were any new drivers for Win 10. Nothing jumped out at me. Actually, I found their site to be less than helpful (they don't show any Win 10 references).
    The motherboards's RealTek adater is the only one in the system. There is no wireless adapter.
    I also updated my BIOS to make sure I was running the latest (but not beta) version.

I see lots of threads about issues with Realtek network controllers with Win 10, but it's difficult to tell if they are the same issue as this one.
    There a difference between the network adapter not working vs. the network adapter not showing up in the device list.

GopherMan, Aug 14, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You are not looking to upgrade the driver - you are looking to downgrade the driver Win 10 Is Deleting My Network Adapter :)

The driver that works perfectly in my desktop is:
    Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Provider: Realtek
    Date: 1/15/2015
    Version: 8.38.115.2015

It even makes Wake On Lan work with Windows shutdown with fast startup enabled.

I think it was the third one down here:
    Realtek

It sounds like the problem might be with power management with the controller - this driver handles power management perfectly - that's why I have Wake On Lan capability after a shutdown - my router shows the connection stays active, but moves down to a 100mps connection when shutdown.

NavyLCDR, Aug 14, 2015
  7. GopherMan Win User
    NavyLCDR,

Bing bing bing!!! That did it! I would not have thought to have moved backwards on the driver rev. Thanks!

GopherMan, Aug 14, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

On my desktop that I use for my media client I had to move backwards on the video driver to get the extended desktop to work, I had to move backwards on the ethernet LAN controller to get Wake On Lan to work, and I had to move backwards on the audio driver to get 5.1 surround sound to passthrough HDMI, and I had to move backwards on the WiFi controller to get dual band to work. About the only positive driver change I saw with Windows 10 was that it did handle the USB 3.0 add-on card natively instead of needing an extra driver like Windows 7 did.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Is Deleting My Network Adapter - Similar Threads - Deleting Network Adapter

2. How to completely delete my network adapter?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to completely delete my network adapter?: This is going to be a very specific thing and I hope someone can help me without reinstalling windows.In ncpa.cpl, I renamed my network adapter Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS 6.30 to "First Ethernet", a while back.Now, the name seems to be...
  3. How to completely delete my network adapter?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to completely delete my network adapter?: This is going to be a very specific thing and I hope someone can help me without reinstalling windows.In ncpa.cpl, I renamed my network adapter Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS 6.30 to "First Ethernet", a while back.Now, the name seems to be...
  4. How to completely delete my network adapter?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Deleted network adapters after network reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted network adapters after network reset: Hi.I had trouble with my internet no longer relevant, so I ended up doing a network reset through Windows 10's advanced network settings.Now the computer no longer searches for available wifi-networks:When I use windows troubleshooter I get the following report: When I look...
  6. Deleted network adapters after network reset

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted network adapters after network reset: Hi.I had trouble with my internet no longer relevant, so I ended up doing a network reset through Windows 10's advanced network settings.Now the computer no longer searches for available wifi-networks:When I use windows troubleshooter I get the following report: When I look...
  7. Deleted Network Adapter

Deleted Network Adapter: After a recent windows update my wifi stopped working and in trying to remedy the problem I think I may have deleted the adapter. It no longer shows on the list for network devices in the device manager and so I cannot, update, uninstall or reinstall. Also, I have no...
  8. Deleted network adapter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted network adapter: My Wi-Fi adapter stopped responding about a day or two ago so I went online to find out how to fix it. I came across an HP help YouTube video (I'm using an HP desktop) that instructed me to delete the adapter software, click the Actions button, then "Scan for hardware...
  9. Win 10 Network Adapter Settings-Priority

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 Network Adapter Settings-Priority: I'm having a difficult time determining whether I can apply separate network connection settings to a single, standard user account. I'd like to force the priority of said user account's connection to use wi-fi rather than ethernet, which will enable me to apply separate...
  10. windows 10 deleting wireless network adapter

windows 10 deleting wireless network adapter: This has happened before to me I was lucky a tech offered to help but when I went to restart my windows 10 laptop asus X540LA 1Tb 8gb ram,2.00 ghz cpu, after was finished playing minecraft it restarted with no wifi network adapter and only broadband and idky this is happening...