Windows 10: Win 10 keeps changing the default printer using Remote Desktop

Discus and support Win 10 keeps changing the default printer using Remote Desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2 Win 10 computers and an XP computer in my home network. I have 2 printers connected to the XP computer. I mostly use the XP computer with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GerryPeters, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Win 10 keeps changing the default printer using Remote Desktop

I have 2 Win 10 computers and an XP computer in my home network. I have 2 printers connected to the XP computer. I mostly use the XP computer with Remote Desktop to control a Win 10 computer. The printers work fine in all situations except Remote Desktop with the XP computer connecting to the Win 10 computer.

Every time I print in this situation, I see that my default printer is my Canon 410, instead of my Canon 920. If I select Canon 920 as the default printer then it all works fine until the next day when I reboot all the computers.

I wonder if I should uninstall all printers and install the 920 first. The 410 was
    bought first so it was installed first. I also tried changing the name of the 920 to "a Canon 920" in case it was an alphabetical order thing, but that didn't help.

I've tried a lot of things it seems, like trying different settings on the Win 10 "let Win 10 set the default printer". I've been running this setup for over a year and it seems like in the past it was working ok, so I assume some Win 10 update changed it.

Any suggestions?

:)

GerryPeters, Feb 23, 2017

2. RPD session to 2008 R2 server changes Windows 10 default printer.

I have a couple of Windows 10 machines that changed default printer when a 2008 R2 RDP session prints. The printer is shared on the Windows 10 machine. I cannot use the printer redirect in this case.

I set the computer's default printer and turn off the Windows 10 option to use the "last used" feature. The local second printer is connected directly to the Win 10 box. The default printer is a network printer.

I remote into the 2008 R2 server and "Connect..." to the shared printer (local to the Win 10 machine.)

I do a test print from the proper dialogue on the 2008 server.

My local default printer is now the shared printer local to the Win 10 machine.

I change the Win 10 default back to the correct printer. Any further print jobs again change the Win 10 printer to the share.

I have turned off the Win 10 feature to let Win 10 decide what the default should be. It says "Default" instead of "Last used." It seems like Win 10 is still using the "Last Used" behavior. I've even verified the reg key is set to the correct value. Changing
    the setting in the Win 10 setting correctly changes the key I was looking at.

I've tried with different printers and even the generic driver. Every time the RDP session uses one of the Win 10's shared printers the Win 10 default printer changes.

Anonymous6314613, Feb 23, 2017
  3. Windows 10 is not redirecting my printer during a remote desktop session

My remote system is running Windows 10 Pro and my local system is running Windows 7 Ultimate.

My local system have a HP M425 PCL 6 Version 5.4.0.11493 default printer that its installed thru an IP address as part of the local network.

I'm using Remote Desktop 8.0 on my local desktop to connect to the remote desktop, and the printer local resource check mark has been selected.

Remote system already have the HP M425 PCL 6 printer driver installed (Same Version)

When I'm running the remote desktop, I'm able to connect to the remote desktop on my remote system, but the printers are not redirected, any ideas why?

If already try to resolve this issue by installing the printer on the remote system as a local printer using a local port (FILEWin 10 keeps changing the default printer using Remote Desktop :), this method has resolve this issue in the past, but not now.

Any recommendations are very much welcome!!

Juan Andres Santaella, Feb 23, 2017
  4. Win 10 keeps changing the default printer using Remote Desktop

Hi Gerry

While you very likely have specific reason why you are not configured this way, have you considered making your Canon 920 a network printer, that is connecting it to your network rather than sharing it from your XP system?

I think I read the Canon 920 can be wired to router. It would also make it Airprint available should you have any IOS devices.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 23, 2017
  5. \

Thanks Ken you may be on to something. I went to my XP computer and chose add printer. And then chose “a network printer or printer attached to another computer”. I then saw that the 920 didn't show up in the list only the 410.

I found out that the 920 was not a shared printer, yet the 410 was. So I shared the 920 printer and just in case alphabetical has some thing to do with it I named it “aCAN-920”. I used remote Desktop at my XP computer to access the Win 10 computer and tried to print something. Now the 920 does show up as the default printer.

The 410 was installed when my Win 10 computer was a Win 7 computer last year. I remember the 920 was the easiest printer installation ever. I may have not even use the CD install disc – not sure. So my guess is Win 10 was so smart with printers that it didn’t need any help like me sharing the 920 on my XP computer.

So at this point I hope it’s solved. I’ll know tomorrow when I reboot everything from scratch.

Thanks,

GerryPeters, Feb 23, 2017
  6. Great. If it worked. I was more targeting attaching the printer right to the router so it was truly networked. Then any system could print to it without the XP system being up.

Anyway, it does what you need. Good luck.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 keeps changing the default printer using Remote Desktop

1. Win 10 keeps changing the default printer using Remote Desktop - Similar Threads - keeps changing default

2. Default printer keeps changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default printer keeps changing: I have set my default printer to Adobe PDF. I do occasionally print to an actual printer. I have turned off the "let windows manage printers" option. I have verified the Registry Editor has been changed from "0" to "1". Why does it still keep changing the default printer?...
  3. Default printer keeps changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default printer keeps changing: I have set my default printer to Adobe PDF. I do occasionally print to an actual printer. I have turned off the "let windows manage printers" option. I have verified the Registry Editor has been changed from "0" to "1". Why does it still keep changing the default printer?...
  4. Remote desktop keeps defaulting to rarley used user

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Remote desktop keeps defaulting to rarley used user: I was working on my taxes at the kitchen table, and rather than print the 100+ page instruction booklet, I took my old XP laptop to display the PDF.I then found that I needed to download some additional forms/PDFs, so I used Remote Desktop to connect to my Win 10 desktop...
  5. Remote desktop keeps defaulting to rarley used user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote desktop keeps defaulting to rarley used user: I was working on my taxes at the kitchen table, and rather than print the 100+ page instruction booklet, I took my old XP laptop to display the PDF.I then found that I needed to download some additional forms/PDFs, so I used Remote Desktop to connect to my Win 10 desktop...
  6. Remote desktop keeps defaulting to rarley used user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Default Printer keeps changing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Default Printer keeps changing: it seems whenever i use a PDF printer like Microsoft Print to PDF or PDF Factory, my default printer changes to that PDF printer even though i have the option to let windows select the printer set to off. Is there a way to stop this?...
  8. Default Printer keeps changing to last used in Windows 10

Default Printer keeps changing to last used in Windows 10: I have the same problem as reported here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/default-printer-keeps-changing-in-windows-10/6848c6cd-59fe-4c83-aae6-4be70972f6c7, but this simple fix does not change the problem. I have unselected the option to...
  9. Win 10 changes printer settings if not a default printer

Win 10 changes printer settings if not a default printer: I work in a large business where there are a mix of Windows 10 and Windows 7. With Windows 7, we can have our label printer and an HP LaserJet connected to one PC with updated drivers, driver settings to use printer settings, and correct printer settings for each application....
  10. Remote Desktop Printer Settings Defaults

Remote Desktop Printer Settings Defaults: When connecting to Remote Desktop Connection, and trying to print from an office document, the printer reverts to default settings, which for the Canon Imageclass D1520 is 2 sided print. In the settings of the remote, the printer is set for 1 sided printing by default, which...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remote desk ttop printer needs a static name but keeps changing

2. remote desktop keeps reaetting default printer